PDA

View Full Version : Canyoneering Injuries

LJ
01-13-2006, 05:02 PM
OK Guys (and Gals)

I've done a few easy canyons with some very safety minded folks and everyone here seems to put safety first. I know things happen though and was wondering what everyone's worst injury was in a canyon. I see those pictures of the bombays, silos, and mae west canyons and think there have to be some stories out there. I'm a bruise and scrape kind of girl and have avoided any broken bones, stitches, head injuries (knocking on wood) at least in canyons. Kayaking, horseback riding, and parasailing I have not been so lucky.

So, any pro-cautionary stories out there that use new folks haven't heard?

LJ -

PS - thank you so much Ice for changing your avatar back. That guy was really starting to bug me. And I was starting to picture you as him so you were starting to bug me!

Iceaxe
01-14-2006, 01:47 AM
everyone here seems to put safety first.

How did you ever get that idea? :haha:

I know things happen though and was wondering what everyone's worst injury was in a canyon.

I've been pretty lucky. Never had a serious injury in my group. I've seen a couple of nasty falls and I've almost been hit by big rocks a couple of times but so far karma is on my side. My biggest problem to date has been a couple of forced bivies.

thank you so much Ice for changing your avatar back. That guy was really starting to bug me. And I was starting to picture you as him so you were starting to bug me!

What makes you think that wasn't really me?

How about this manly avatar..... does that turn ya on? :thumb:

shaggy125
01-14-2006, 08:27 AM
I've done a few easy canyons with some very safety minded folks and everyone here seems to put safety first. I know things happen though and was wondering what everyone's worst injury was in a canyon.

I've been pretty lucky too, kind of the same stuff as Iceaxe. Big rock fell near us in Neon, but luckily not on anyone. A group behind us in Englestead had a guy where a large rock fell on his foot. He was wearing open toed sandals and lost his big toe (my TR tells more of the story if you are interested http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2005/12/englestead-hollow.html). I did have to bivvy because of losing daylight one time too. Again I have the whole story in my TR http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2005/09/unexpected-sleepover-kolob-canyon-trip_11.html but luckily no injuries so far.

Eric.

LJ
01-14-2006, 08:15 PM

How did you ever get that idea? :haha:

Yeah - maybe it was some of those other sites I was thinkin of!

LJ
01-14-2006, 08:17 PM
How about this manly avatar..... does that turn ya on? :thumb:

Much much much much better! :2thumbs:

That's my grandmother on mine now. Back in the day....

Iceaxe
01-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah - maybe it was some of those other sites I was thinkin of!

There are no other sites..... God planted uutah.com at the center of the web and the rest of the universe rotates around it. :roflol:

Iceaxe
01-15-2006, 11:29 AM
A group behind us in Englestead had a guy where a large rock fell on his foot. He was wearing open toed sandals and lost his big toe

Sandels (Tevas) are a huge mistake..... No support, no grip, no protection. A major componete to being a good canyoneer is have confidence in your abilities. Nothing ruins confidence faster then sandals.
:cool2:

rock_ski_cowboy
01-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I've been pretty lucky too, kind of the same stuff as Iceaxe. Big rock fell near us in Neon, but luckily not on anyone. A group behind us in Englestead had a guy where a large rock fell on his foot. He was wearing open toed sandals and lost his big toe (my TR tells more of the story if you are interested http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2005/12/englestead-hollow.html). I did have to bivvy because of losing daylight one time too. Again I have the whole story in my TR http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2005/09/unexpected-sleepover-kolob-canyon-trip_11.html but luckily no injuries so far.

Eric.

Don't forget the log that fell on your head in Chop. That would have been an accident for sure if you hadn't been wearing a helmet.

I've seen a few people get some burned hands on rappel, even with thick gloves on. Setting friction right is a big deal.

Iceaxe
01-16-2006, 10:49 AM
I burned my hand pretty good once in Pine Creek at the last rappel. I didn't even know it was injuried until after I unclipped and looked at my plam. The wet rope feeding through my hand just took the skin off, never seen it happen before like that. Friction wasn't even the problem, I could have easily slowed down if I knew the skin was peeling off. It looked really bad and hurt for a month.

But I would consider that a minor injury. We did Imlay later in the day and I just wore a glove on the injured right hand and rappeled lefty.

histermister
01-16-2006, 04:54 PM
The canyoneering I have done has been pretty much confined to the Swell, but in my post on the "gear found in Baptist" I explained the accident that happened to my buddy because I wasn't competent enough to realize that I should have belayed the newbie on ALL the raps. It could've been worse, he came out with a torn ACL. If he would have let go all together, he would have been toast. That brings to mind a question, I have been surfing the canyoneering sites on the net and came across a site that offers training on canyoneering. Anybody have any idea when they might do something like that here in Orem or SLC? Let me know.
Reed

rock_ski_cowboy
01-16-2006, 05:20 PM
I believe the ACA has an "accident database" of some sort. I don't know how complete or up to date it is, but it should be readily findable at their website, www.canyoneering.net . Definitely would be worth looking for, as some of the canyoneering deaths and serious injuries over the years may be documented there. Most serious injuries require some one else to report them because the injured either doesn't want anything to do with canyoneering afterwards or doesn't want to be for ever known as "the guy that THAT happened to", especially if the injury is a result of canyoneer error or indescretion.

Serious injuries and deaths that I've heard of: drowning (causes of drowning include rope entanglement, whirlpools and/or undercurrents, and hypothermia), falling while attempting to climb in a canyon or to exit it, jumping (sprained ankles or worse), burned hands due to loss of control on rappell, broken bones due to loss of control on rappel, death due to rappelling of the end of your rope, death/injury due to rockfall from above. There are probably others I've heard of but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I actually haven't heard of any serious injuries or deaths due to anchor failure in canyoneering although I'm guessing there have been some.

shaggy125
01-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Anybody have any idea when they might do something like that here in Orem or SLC? Let me know.
Reed

Join the ACA, it's only $15, plans are in the works for having training courses in Salt Lake. My project for this spring is finding a spot for someone to teach swift water classes. Check out the thread on the ACA forums:

http://www.canyoneering.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=770

First meeting of the year is Jan. 26th at the SLC REI, they are going to be talking about canyon first aid. Come (I'll be there) and let them know you are interested in training. I added it to the calendar.

There is a place in Salt Lake that does a one day class, but I can't remember the name of the place that does it.

Iceaxe
01-16-2006, 07:42 PM
There is a place in Salt Lake that does a one day class, but I can't remember the name of the place that does it.

Exum of Utah
http://www.exum.ofutah.com/rock.htm#canyoneering

Technical canyoneering skills: Cost $95/person
Dates: Saturday, April 8 & September 9, 2006

Instruction includes: identifying and building anchors, safe rapelling, ascending a rope & lowering
:five:

histermister
01-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Any idea of the location of this conference in April?

price1869
03-19-2006, 10:59 AM

Haven't seen the video of my backflip into 3 feet of water in the middle of Imlay, have you?

Just watch out for Ralston rocks.