PDA

View Full Version : Best hikes in Utah for alpine scenery

Scott P
01-11-2006, 03:43 PM
I actually posted this on another thread, but it could use its own thread/topic as well. Anyway..............

My own opinion, which may not mean much:

Top 10 Utah hikes/backpacks (non technical) for alpine scenery

1. West Fork Blacks Fork to Deadhorse Lake
2. Timpanooke Trail (Mount Timpanogos)
3. Aspen Grove Trail (Mount Timpanogos)
4. East Fork Blacks Fork to Allsop Lake
5. Red Castle Lake from East Fork Blacks Fork
6. The Beatout. Pfeifferhorn to Bells Canyon
7. Twins, Dromedary, or Sunrise from Broads Fork
8. Dromedary from Lake Blanche
9. Lone Peak Cirque and Lone Peak
10. Hayden Pass to Upper Rock Creek, Priord Lake, and then to East Fork Bear River

icthys
01-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Gotta love the North Slope!

donny h
01-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Top 10 Utah hikes/backpacks (non technical) for alpine scenery

I haven't hiked a single one of those, so I need to, clearly.

Can you pick a couple as the most remote?

The one time I went to the Aspen Grove trailhead it looked like there were hundreds of folks on that trail that day.

I really prefer the more remote spots, as I have a low tolerance for idiocy in my presence, and that many folks guarantees idiocy.

Iceaxe
01-19-2006, 04:50 PM
The one time I went to the Aspen Grove trailhead it looked like there were hundreds of folks on that trail that day.

DO NOT try to hike Timp on Saturday, unless you want to battle every BYU student in town.

donny h
01-20-2006, 02:37 PM
DO NOT try to hike Timp on Saturday, unless you want to battle every BYU student in town.

I WAS there on a Saturday, that explains a lot.

Battle EVERY BYU student in town? Sounds tiring. Can I just pick a few? :twisted:

So what is the best time to avoid the BYU crowds? Sundays? Finals?

I've tried to go to the hot springs up Diamond Fork and had the same issue with WAY too many college kids, so I'm trying to figure a way to beat the crowds there, too.

Iceaxe
01-20-2006, 02:50 PM
If you want to avoid the college crowd skip Saturdays. I once climbed Timp twice on the same weekend. On Saturday the summit had over 100 people on top. On Sunday I had the summit to myself for 15 minutes and never more then 6 other people. Same weekend, same weather. But Timp is popular. if you want to have the summit to yourself climb it this weekend. :nod:

All recreation in Utah County is crowded on Saturday. Sunday is better, weekdays are best. :five:

Scott P
01-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Can you pick a couple as the most remote?

1. West Fork Blacks Fork to Deadhorse Lake:

Fairly popular to Deadhorse Lakes, but not crowded.

2. Timpanooke Trail (Mount Timpanogos)

Very crowded on summer Saturdays.

3. Aspen Grove Trail (Mount Timpanogos)

Very crowded on summer Saturdays.

4. East Fork Blacks Fork to Allsop Lake

Fairly popular to Deadhorse Lakes, but not crowded.

5. Red Castle Lake from East Fork Blacks Fork

Not too popular, but used, unless things have changed in recent years (most people hiking to Red Castle Lake begin at Smith Fork).

6. The Beatout. Pfeifferhorn to Bells Canyon

Used, but not crowded, at least after Red Pine Lake. Best in early summer when snow covered.

7. Twins, Dromedary, or Sunrise from Broads Fork

Fairly poplar, but not too crowded.

8. Dromedary from Lake Blanche

Very crowded to Lake Blanch, used, but not too crowded beyond.

9. Lone Peak Cirque and Lone Peak

Used, but not too crowded.

10. Hayden Pass to Upper Rock Creek, Priord Lake, and then to East Fork Bear River

Very crowded to Rocky Sea Pass, well used until leaving the Highline Trail, and almost total solitude beyone that.

shaggy125
01-24-2006, 03:07 PM
A really good trip close to the road and with few people (at least the times I've gone) is this short, but somewhat strenuous route I put on my blog site. Need more details? Just ask and I will post them. One of my favorite day hikes of all time.

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2005/11/rydermcpheters-basin-uinta-mountains.html

Wasatch Rebel
01-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Some of my favorites you mentioned--the two Timp trails, and the Lake Blanche--although I haven't been past the lake up to Dromedary--sounds like I need to go hiking. Most of the others, I haven't hiked, unless I just don't know the names of the ones I've hiked. Like I'm sure I've been to Rocky Sea Pass before. A couple of very scenic hikes are Naturalist Basin, and the trail into Amethyst Lake, which gets more scenic the higher you go. I haven't been there though for more than thirty years, so it's time to go back.