PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bike...

Sombeech
01-10-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm looking for a bike, most likely used. This won't be for me though.

I've always got people asking me if I know of any good bikes for cheap. Isn't that a common question?

Anyways, the bike would be a large frame, and would be able to handle the occasional trip to Moab or St George. So, no huffys if you know what I mean.

Price range? Probably around $400 for front suspension, and $700 for full suspension.

I know these are deals of the century, but sometimes people come across a used one for that price range.

I would have put this in the classified section, but some bikers don't scroll down there. Thanks.

derstuka
01-10-2006, 06:42 PM
OMG! If I had admin rights, I would SOOOOOOO move this to the classifieds section! :lol8:

Don't know of any bikes in that price range. I'm sure you already have done so, but you might have better luck at Utahmountainbiking.com's classified, or general chat columns.

Sombeech
01-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I know this is hard to find.

I've been asked for a couple of years now, and just thought I'd throw it out there.

It's kind of like looking for a sweet laptop w/DVD burner and wireless network card for $200. It'll probably never happen. But unfortunately, that's all some are willing to spend on one.

derstuka
01-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I know this is hard to find.

I've been asked for a couple of years now, and just thought I'd throw it out there.

It's kind of like looking for a sweet laptop w/DVD burner and wireless network card for $200. It'll probably never happen. But unfortunately, that's all some are willing to spend on one.

are you an e-bay slut?? Lots of good deals to be had there...if you don't get f**ked over like me that is!

What about the Klein? She still treating you ok? Gonna get her a younger sister?

Sombeech
01-10-2006, 07:03 PM
are you an e-bay slut?? Lots of good deals to be had there...if you don't get f**ked over like me that is!

What about the Klein? She still treating you ok? Gonna get her a younger sister?

The Klein is treating me very well. I hope I never part ways with it.

I'm actually looking for my uncle, and a cousin. Hell, let's throw a friend in there too!

I'm not too familiar with Ebay. That would be a good place to look, and I'll tell them to look there also next time I see them. I just hate buying stuff online.

Saying that, I realize I'm looking online by asking you guys. :doh:

derstuka
01-10-2006, 07:09 PM

The Klein is treating me very well. I hope I never part ways with it.

I'm actually looking for my uncle, and a cousin. Hell, let's throw a friend in there too!

I'm not too familiar with Ebay. That would be a good place to look, and I'll tell them to look there also next time I see them. I just hate buying stuff online.

Saying that, I realize I'm looking online by asking you guys. :doh:

If you do choose to buy from e-bay, (common sense) is to buy from someone with 95+ rating of good reviews, and use Paypal whenever possible. At least then you have a chance of getting your money back should something go wrong.

I bought my single speed frame (and a fork) off of Craigslist.com as well. It is free to post an ad, or to view others.

jfeiro
01-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Check KSL.com, classifieds, sometimes they have some good deals. Jim

derstuka
01-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Check out some of these Craigslist ads for Salt Lake. Some of these are nice! Especially the Trek Fuel.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/122162139.html

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/122631897.html

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/120546943.html (actually in Oregon)

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/119802725.html

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/118796907.html

greyhair biker
01-18-2006, 06:22 PM
I've been trying to unload a mint condition GT Idrive XCR4000 all last year & now it just sits in my shed. It's about a 2002 model but the guy I got it from just could n't get into biking - his wallet was bigger than his brain I guess - anyway, the frame is red, the Manitou front shock matches. The rear shock is a Fox Vanilla and the components are upgraded to XTR. I'll get a complete list if it thaws a bit to get to the shed but the tires still have the new knobbies stuck to 'em. With all the upgrades I would need $800 for it...& I'd bring it down to SLC for free on my next trip down to visit family...that would save the $$ for a box and shipping too. Let me know if it interests you & I'll get some pics on here too.

accadacca
01-18-2006, 06:32 PM
XTR :nod:

Sombeech
01-18-2006, 08:25 PM
I've been trying to unload a mint condition GT Idrive XCR4000 all last year & now it just sits in my shed. It's about a 2002 model but the guy I got it from just could n't get into biking - his wallet was bigger than his brain I guess - anyway, the frame is red, the Manitou front shock matches. The rear shock is a Fox Vanilla and the components are upgraded to XTR. I'll get a complete list if it thaws a bit to get to the shed but the tires still have the new knobbies stuck to 'em. With all the upgrades I would need $800 for it...& I'd bring it down to SLC for free on my next trip down to visit family...that would save the $$ for a box and shipping too. Let me know if it interests you & I'll get some pics on here too.

:eek2: Don't let KillEmAll read this! He just bought an IDrive this last summer. Brand new, and it's NOT XTR! Ouch.

Thanks though, greyhair. I'll pass this on to my uncle or cousin. That's a great deal.

greyhair biker
01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
I'll probably keep it - who knows. I ride a GT Idrive6000 series with all the components beefed up, Rock Shox PsyloSL with it out to it's full 125(abt5") a Fox VanillaRC rear, XT components, a RaceFace NorthShore crankset, Nokian Gazzalotti 2.3 front & rear, a KORE chain tensioner & any extra I can ptu on it to tweak out the last bit of performance. My downhiller is a Rocky Mountain RM9 with 2.7 Maxxis mobsters & a Marzocchi Shiver 200mm FR VanillaRC RR - full on downhiller!...my 10speeds & tandems don't really count but they take up lots of room so this on has got to go sometime. See, you get me started on this & I never shut up! :blahblah:

accadacca
01-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Don't get me started either. Man do I WANT one of these....

It looks like they made some major frame changes for 2006. Which one is better? Pros Cons?

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2005/zoom/z-05-slayer-70.jpg

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2006/zoom/z-06-slayer-90.jpg

Sombeech
01-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Looks like the newer frame is more versatile, for rockhopping. You can lower the seat more for freestyling.

greyhair biker
01-19-2006, 06:17 PM
OH man! The new stuff I saw at Interbike was Ballistic! Fourtycal & I spent several hours at the Rocky Mountain booth just fondling & drooling over the new frames & setups! I didn't want to leave :hail2thechief:

greyhair biker
01-19-2006, 06:19 PM
I almost forgot ...they have a frame coming that is green camoflaged...sweet!