PDA

View Full Version : Green trip is on

DickHead
01-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I am confirming the trip. I am leaving sometime on March 16th (thurs), returning sometime on March 19th (Sun). Three nights at flaming gorge lodge. Cost will be dependant on the number of people that go, the rooms go for about $130 a night and sleep about 6 people comfortably. Please RSVP in this thread or directly to me via email
Jamisjockey@yahoo.com
:fishing:
Food and booze arrangements will be last minute, but be prepared to pitch in for both. Transportation via carpool also depends on the number of people that go.

DickHead
01-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Here is my *suggestion* list for what is necessary for a trip to the Green in March. Temps are typically below freezing at night, and in the 50's during the day. Weather could be inclement or sunny. Expect to do a bit of walking/hiking.

Clothing:
If you're not going to wear waders, a pair of waterproof boots is a good idea. Warm socks to wear either under your waders or boots. Synthetic or wool longjohn bottoms and top. Fleece or wool pullover, and a waterproof jacket, preferably with a hood. Hat, sunglasses. I'm a firm believer in synthetic blends of clothing, as Cotton tends to soak up moisture and doesn't trap as much warmth. Wear whatever you're comfortable with, be prepared for temps in the 20's-50's.
Its about a 1/2 mile hike from the car to the water, with about 1000' vertical! I usually bring a camelbak backpack so I have water and can haul extra clothing and snacks and lunch.
Fishing:
The green is lure/fly only. There is a long list of flies that work, typically in "Midge" patterns. Not alot of surface action in march, although there may be some depending on the weather. Smaller is better. WD40, Scud's, and mayfly emergers are also good patterns, as well as streamers in assorted sizes and colors. I'm no flyfishing expert, so for more information call Sportsman's or Flaming Gorge Lodge's flyshop. Its a good idea to have a flyrod case for your flyrod, to prevent damage.
Lures, however...you typically will only need a few. Roostertails and Panther martins, in rainbow colors, brown, black. Countdown Rapalas in either rainbow or black-back, usually the smaller sizes. Rubber worm imitiations called a creme worm can be fished under a split shot with some success, and Maribou (hair bodied) jigs in natural colors (brown, olive, black, green) are pretty typical. A light or med-light action 6'+ rod with 6lb test is usually adequate.

Waders: Not really necessary for the green, but very handy, since there are some spots that are almost inaccesible without them. However, you can still fish alot of territory from the banks without wading. I wear a pair of fleece tights and polypro longjohns under mine. I have a duffel bag that I carry my waders, vest, net, wading shoes, and most of my fishing gear in.
Sleeping bag: Whatever works, the rooms are Heated.

DickHead
02-02-2006, 08:20 AM
The plan is becoming more refined. Leaving on the 16th around 1700ish. 3 nights and two full days at Flaming gorge to fish the Green. And a Keg of homebrew is being brewed by one of my buddies for the trip. Good times,

shlingdawg
02-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Sounds like a great time. I have a trip to Texas sometime toward the end of March. Let me check it out and I'll get back w/ a decision.

DickHead
02-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Sounds like a great time. I have a trip to Texas sometime toward the end of March. Let me check it out and I'll get back w/ a decision.

I'm sorry. I :frustrated: ing hate texas. Lived there before Utah. I despise Texass.

shlingdawg
02-20-2006, 03:51 PM

I'm sorry. I :frustrated: ing hate texas. Lived there before Utah. I despise Texass.

It's for work, not pleasure. :ne_nau:

shlingdawg
02-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Texas won't be an issue as I don't fly out til Sunday 3/26. Now I just have to get the kitchen pass from the wife.

How many people are confirmed so far? (ie, how many times is $130/night being divvied up?)

DickHead
02-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Texas won't be an issue as I don't fly out til Sunday 3/26. Now I just have to get the kitchen pass from the wife.

How many people are confirmed so far? (ie, how many times is $130/night being divvied up?)

Currently, four for sure (including myself).

I'm making dinner for one night, and we'll split food for the rest of it. I'm real simple and don't care to cook breakfast, probably doughnuts and cereal, sandwhiches for lunch, granola bars and the like for snacks. Easiest way is to stop at the WalMart in Evanston on the way to get supplies and just divvy it up on the spot (last time was like $25 a piece IIRC). I'll have a 5gal batch of homebrewed beer, too :2thumbs: