PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Antelope Island -- White Rock Bay -- TR

Sombeech
01-07-2006, 03:25 PM
We started the new year off riding on the first weekend. The crew consisted of myself, accadacca, KillEmAll, and Lance.

We drove out to Antelope Island, which now costs $9 per vehicle. You'll see that in the sign below.

The riding conditions were far from perfect. It was a little chilly, and the trail itself was pretty chopped up from the horses. For some reason, there were a lot of horseback riders out there today.

The loop itself was between 7.5 to 8 miles. The sign says 7.5, but our odometers all read around 8.

The climbing was pretty tough. The soft trail was mostly to blame for this. Hopefully the pictures will do the rest of the talking.

Oh, and plenty of Buffalo around, as you'll see.

Sombeech
01-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Although there were a lot of horseback riders, they were all kind enough to go off of the trail for us, even though the "rules" state that we should yield to them.

accadacca
01-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Damn was that F%&$in' COLD!!! :cold: I think the trail would be a fun little jaunt in the summer. I guess except for the bugs and $9 thing. I was glad to get out of the house for a half a day.

Sombeech
01-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah, it's just good to have a trail under our belts this early in the year. It would have been nicer in warmer temperatures, but I've heard horror stories about the bugs out there.

I was really looking for some singletrack riding out there, but there hardly was any. Just about a mile of some next to the dirt road, but that was it.

Possibly there's some single track trails out there? :ne_nau: There's several other trails on the island, but so far there's not much info on them.

Here's a G.E. location.

fourtycal
01-09-2006, 07:20 AM
That looks sweet! for a winter ride anyway. If this weather holds I will have to give that a try.

Sombeech
01-09-2006, 07:26 AM
That looks sweet! for a winter ride anyway. If this weather holds I will have to give that a try.

Just be warned, it's not hard packed. You'll encounter plenty of sand traps.

mroy
01-10-2006, 08:29 AM
I've always wondered what it's like out there. I can't stand to spend $9 for it though, and word of horses on the trail only decreases my desire to get out there & explore.

Sombeech
01-10-2006, 08:42 AM
I've always wondered what it's like out there. I can't stand to spend $9 for it though, and word of horses on the trail only decreases my desire to get out there & explore.

Yeah, I'd like to take a ton of pics of any trail we do, whether the trail rocks or sucks. This way others will know if it will be worth their time (and money) to go.

It's not the most scenic, but it gives good documentation of what's out there.

PunchKing
01-10-2006, 09:36 AM
We drove out to Antelope Island, which now costs $9 per vehicle. You'll see that in the sign below.

Can you ride the causeway for free or does that cost too? About ten years ago I did that ride and we just rode the causeway. It is super flat and you can go as fast as you want or can. It seems like it was only a couple of miles on pavement. But if you have to pay to do that I would drive too.

Sombeech
01-10-2006, 09:39 AM
It's $4 per person, even on bicycles! Can you believe that?

They saw that people were riding out there, and decided to cash in on that market as well.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/antelope_island__62_.jpg

accadacca
01-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Can you ride the causeway for free or does that cost too? About ten years ago I did that ride and we just rode the causeway. It is super flat and you can go as fast as you want or can. It seems like it was only a couple of miles on pavement.
Do you like munchin' on bugs? That's what I have heard anyway.......

PunchKing
01-10-2006, 10:54 AM
It's $4 per person, even on bicycles! Can you believe that?

They saw that people were riding out there, and decided to cash in on that market as well.

That is wild it is cheaper to drive. :frustrated:

Accadacca:

We did it in the middle of summer and there were no bugs, now that it costs so much I don't think I will be going out there again.

James_B_Wads2000
01-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah, it's just good to have a trail under our belts this early in the year. It would have been nicer in warmer temperatures, but I've heard horror stories about the bugs out there.

I was really looking for some singletrack riding out there, but there hardly was any. Just about a mile of some next to the dirt road, but that was it.

Possibly there's some single track trails out there? :ne_nau: There's several other trails on the island, but so far there's not much info on them.

Ahhhh, my ears are burning. I can

Sombeech
01-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Hey, do you have any pictures of that side? If there's singletrack there, and you say it's better than the loop we went on, I'd give it another shot.

The fee sucks, but go with four guys and it's not bad. Show us those pics if you have any. If not, I may take your word for it.

James_B_Wads2000
01-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Hey, do you have any pictures of that side? If there's singletrack there, and you say it's better than the loop we went on, I'd give it another shot.

The fee sucks, but go with four guys and it's not bad. Show us those pics if you have any. If not, I may take your word for it.

Sadly I don

Sombeech
01-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Hey Somebeech, if you guys ride it again this Spring let me know I would love to tag along.

Will do. Thanks for the info.

I think I read on UMB that the East side trail is singletrack, but it's only about 3 miles. Not really worth the fee.

But I would like to head up to split rock sometime.

eddy1911
01-12-2006, 04:55 PM
My wife and I have ridden the East Side Trail a few times. It is a decent singletrack that can be about 25 miles round trip if you ride it far enough. Obviously, it is on the east side of the island and goes the length of the island down to an old ranch farm that you can visit. The trail isn't very technical and doesn't have a lot of elevation change. If you just need a good primer trail or something to ride during the winter to try to keep in shape, this is a good trail. You can ride it as an out and back and make the ride as long as you want it to be. Once you hit April though, the bugs do start get thick.

We will probably be doing this trail soon once the snow starts to melt.

Eddy

accadacca
01-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey good to see you around eddy. Haven't seen on in a while.... :five: