PDA

View Full Version : Tips to lighten the load

BrokenHorn
01-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Thought I would post up a new topic. While reading the optional (comfort)things people take in there pack one person stated that they take wet wipes.

This is my tip;
Before packing take the wet wipes out of the package and throw them in the dryer. After there dry put them in a ziplock compress as much air out as possible and zip close. When you need to clean up just rehydrate, all the cleansers are still in the fabric.

If you take a first aid kit with you and you have axcess to a "Food Saver" vacume pack it. Doesn't save in weight but it will take up less room. Put a few extra matches in there too. You may need them some day.

Sombeech
01-06-2006, 08:19 PM
hmm, dehydrating the wet wipes? Good idea. I never thought of that.

Iceaxe
01-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Since beer is too heavy for the backpack I carry a flask of Tequila. I also carry powered lime Gatorade. Mix the two together, add water, and you have a margarita. :2thumbs:

AAAaaaa..... well at least we call it a margarita. :friday:

Sombeech
01-09-2006, 03:06 PM
In this pic, it's showing how we all packed in frying pans for our fish.

Why didn't we just bring aluminum foil to wrap our fish in, and put them in the fire? :frustrated: I've been cooking salmon at home on the grill that way for 4 years now, and it didn't even cross my mind.

We'll have to do that next time.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/img_0653.jpg

david staub
01-13-2006, 10:56 AM
After pulling a sled with Dutch ovens while snowshoeing, I need to learn how to lighten loads.

This summer I am backpacking the Havasupai and will be taking my father-in-law with me. Even though he is in incredible shape, he is 74 years old. He wants to backpack his own things down there. I am concerned about him sleeping on a pad and am looking for a cot that can be backpacked. Have you seen any cots that are comfortable yet foldable enough to backpack?

Iceaxe
01-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Dang.... you guys pack WAAAAAAAYYYYYY to heavy. :roll:

Below is a picture of my family packing in for three days in the Uintas. And my hot young stripper wife is packing a six pack of beer because she didn't really have much else to carry.

Light is right..... lighter is righter.....

BrokenHorn
01-15-2006, 10:24 AM
I always take some aluminum foil, margarine, garlic and dill seasoning. It works great and the fish are excellent!

A food item that I have discovered is the Idahoan instant mashed potatoes. You can get them in Loaded, Four cheese, Garlic and regular. I even take a packet of instand gravy. Just add hat water.

The last trip I took I left the filter at home and took iodine tabs. Takes way less room and weight. There is another product out there that is better for you but does the same thing. Can't remember the name off hand.

I replace all alkaline batteries with lithium. Yes, they cost more but they last longer and are lighter. I only carry one titanium pot, an aluminum cup and a spoon.

I made a "V-8 stove" that burned alchohol but found that in high altitudes the boiling time was like three times what it is on the valley floor that the weight in fuel exceeded the weight of my canister fuel and stove, and boiling time is about 6 minutes.

DickHead
01-15-2006, 11:35 AM
For those that are into MRE's, open the main packet before you leave. Pull out the stuff you don't want or don't need. Discard the main packet. Not much on weight savings, but its a good space saver.
Roll your clothing and put it into ziploc baggies and squeeze the air out. Not a weight saver but keeps them dry and saves space.

lonepeakgeek
01-20-2006, 03:36 PM
For those backpackers who also happen to bike: Instead of a long sleeved shirt just take your cold-weather spandex sleeves and leggings- you know the ones that just go from your wrist to your bicep. It makes you look like a dork- but some of us aren't going to be able to escape that anyways.

lonepeakgeek
01-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Score one of those new-fangled LED lights. I've got a buddy who only uses two of the key-chain types- that's all the innumination he takes with him. I'm not that confident in ability to find my way back 10 feet at a time.

Wasatch Rebel
01-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Cut half the handle off of spoons, toothbrushes, etc. Cut off any extra straps that hang from your pack, and shorten the ones that can be shortened. Bring instant potato mixes and oatmeal if you choose, but remember that you sacrifice variety and flavor if you stick only to those items. Try mixing in a Lipton's rice mix or something. Get a lightweight sleeping bag, and cut off the leg portion of your pad. You can stuff extra clothing under your legs if you need cushioning there. If you expect fairly good weather, use a tube tent instead of one with poles. Tube tents can be made with lightweight plastic or tarps, and can be made fairly waterproof if you're careful. Leave the heavy weight binoculars at home, and don't be a rockhound as you hike. And you can always jettison the tp and use leaves instead. :haha:

accadacca
01-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Damn flint these last ideas are just ludicrous.... :roll: :lol8:

Wasatch Rebel
01-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Damn flint these last ideas are just ludicrous.... :roll: :lol8: I ain't sayin' I do all those things---but they all have been mentioned in various books on lightweight backpacking. No, I may leave the toilet paper at home, but sure as heck, I'm collecting rocks. :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Iceaxe
01-31-2006, 07:52 AM
Do some high altitude climbing and the suggestions Flint makes are just for starters. How about cutting the manufacturer labels out of all your gear to lighten the load? Most of high altitude climbers do that. :nod:

dbessee
01-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Damn flint these last ideas are just ludicrous.... :roll: :lol8:

These are the tip of the iceberg of ideas that the ultralight crowd goes for. I see instruction at least once a month for how to make a new stove design from a soda can or tinfoil, ways to dehydrate food, sew a quilt lighter than a sleeping bag, rig a tarp, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
I've been on a campain to lighten up my pack too, most of my backpacking takes place over 9000' ASL and the air get thin when you're old, fat, and out of shape like me. But some of the suggestions are a bit over the top. I want to spend the time with my kids or enjoying where I'm at, not trying to be McGyver with tinfoil putting a stove together.

Seriously, even on a budget you can get the pack weight within reason without going over the top. But these folks are looking for sub-20lbs before water/food and that requires some extreme measures. It also cuts your safety margin if you're out with kids or inexperienced folks.