PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Draper Shoreline TR

Iceaxe
01-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I went hiking with Sarge today along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail above Draper. Lots of changes to the area recently because of new homes being built. Biggest change is the Corner Canyon road is now closed to motor vehicles. That sucks cause now everything really cool is a long ass hike. The road is still open to mountain bikes. What I used to referrer to as the "Gate" at the bottom of the Corner Canyon Road is now officially the Orson Smith Trailhead. Lots of changes are happening fast in the area with major construction at nearly every access point. The Good news is the city of Draper recently purchased part of Corner Canyon so there should always be reasonable access to Lone Peak.

More info on hiking Lone Peak and the Shoreline Trail out of Draper
http://climb-utah.com/WM/lonepeak.htm

Below are a couple of pics for your enjoyment...
:bueller:

hesse15
01-01-2006, 02:00 PM
I went hiking with Sarge today along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail above Draper. Lots of changes to the area recently because of new homes being built. Biggest change is the Corner Canyon road is now closed to motor vehicles. That sucks cause now everything really cool is a long ass hike. The road is still open to mountain bikes. What I used to referrer to as the "Gate" at the bottom of the Corner Canyon Road is now officially the Orson Smith Trailhead. Lots of changes are happening fast in the area with major construction at nearly every access point. The Good news is the city of Draper recently purchased part of Corner Canyon so there should always be reasonable access to Lone Peak.

More info on hiking Lone Peak and the Shoreline Trail out of Draper
http://climb-utah.com/WM/lonepeak.htm

Below are a couple of pics for your enjoyment...
:bueller:

hei puppy getting big
cute!!!
:naughty:

shaggy125
01-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Last time I was up there (a few months ago) I started from the park where Wasatch hits the bench of the mountain and starts heading north/south between big and little willow canyons. I went south on the trail and there was a big sign set up saying the trail was closed due to the land owners not wanting people screwing with their land again. Anyone know if it's still closed, or what the deal is?

Eric.

Iceaxe
01-01-2006, 02:28 PM
That sign has been there for about 3 years. Its really goofy since only about a 75 yard section of the trail is closed. Coming from the south you will meet the twin to the sign you saw.

I always just cross this small section quickly and quitly while leaving no trace.

:five:

Iceaxe
01-01-2006, 04:17 PM
I would have posted some pictures of me but my dog don't have any thumbs and he kept dropping the camera.

:smilehah: Dumb Dog....

accadacca
01-01-2006, 04:22 PM
I would have posted some pictures of me but my dog don't have any thumbs and he kept dropping the camera.

I am surprised that you managed to take any, :roflol: :bootyshake:

dbessee
01-01-2006, 05:18 PM

And when he uses his mouth he slobers all over the camera too I bet. :haha:

I love the way that bridge is built. Cool design. :cool2:

Iceaxe
01-01-2006, 05:28 PM
I love the way that bridge is built. Cool design. :cool2:

They built the bridge down at the road and then lifted it in with a helicopter. I have some pictures of the lift if I can find them.

dbessee
01-01-2006, 05:37 PM
They built the bridge down at the road and then lifted it in with a helicopter. I have some pictures of the lift if I can find them.

'Way cool!! :five:

Good way to build while minimizing impact at the actual location too. :2thumbs:

I like smart solutions.

rock_ski_cowboy
01-02-2006, 03:48 PM
So with Corner Canyon road closed, is Jacob's Ladder still the shortest route up Lone Peak? Can the JL trailhead be accessed via 4x4 from the ridge somewhere?

Iceaxe
01-02-2006, 05:39 PM
So with Corner Canyon road closed, is Jacob's Ladder still the shortest route up Lone Peak? Can the JL trailhead be accessed via 4x4 from the ridge somewhere?

I'm not really sure what is best today.... its really changing fast. I'm guessing when all is said and done then JL via the SunCrest housing development will still be the fastest. You could still access with 4x4 from SunCrest last time I was up there but it changes on a weekly bases. If I was going to climb Lone Peak I would scope out an access route a couple day before. After everything settles down I'll update my Lone Peak webpage, but its changing to fast at the moment to bother with.