PDA

View Full Version : Yurt skiing and camping

Iceaxe
12-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Anyone here tried ever stayed in a yurt during a backcountry ski trip? Sounds like it could be fun. More info on a Utah connection below.

Utah entrepreneur offers unique skiing experience
Yurt: The guided winter tours to the Mongolian shelters are a rare experience in the state

By Paul Foy
The Associated Press

BEAVER - At 3:05 p.m. we entered a grove of ancient Engelmann spruce. A shaft of sunlight illuminated their thick trunks in a bed of snow as soft and fine as powdered sugar.

On a day piercing cold and dry, high in Utah's remote Tushar mountain range, it seemed as if time hadn't changed the area for thousands of years.

''Those are some big trees,'' said Alec Hornstein, pausing on his ski into the range.

Hornstein runs what could be Utah's most underrated backcountry ski tours, drawing fewer than 300 skiers a winter. He deploys a pair of Mongolian-style yurts under the wind-swept peaks of the Tushars, formed by a series of spectacular volcanic eruptions over millions of years.

His Forest Service permit covers 100 square miles of primeval forest and rugged peaks in central Utah, at the doorstep of the Great Basin desert, 22 miles from Beaver in southwestern Utah.

Hornstein was poking around City Creek and Lake peaks, neighbors rising more than 11,000 feet, looking for pockets of powder in the early December snowpack. Four other peaks top 12,000 feet.

The mountains average 400 inches of dry, fluffy snow a winter.

Last winter brought more than 600 inches, and Hornstein was on his skis 190 days, until July 3, as sole proprietor of Tushar Mountain Tours.

It has been a labor of eight winters for Hornstein, 40 and single, who is pondering whether to invest more money in the venture or give it up for something else. He could sell the business. Or he could upgrade or add yurts or buy a used snow tractor to ferry more gear and people into the backcountry.

''It's getting up to where it's starting to make some money,'' he said.

With a marketing degree from Northern Arizona University, Hornstein has held a collection of jobs - real estate agent in Seattle, helicopter ski guide in Canada, restaurant cook in Park City, Utah, and ski patrolman at the defunct Elk Meadows ski area here, where he rents a condominium for the winter. For part of summer, he's a traveling salesman for his father's Santa Fe-based specialty furniture business.

No job, though, has been as satisfying as running tours in the Tushars.

Ski touring by yurt is becoming increasingly popular in the Rocky Mountains, but skiers are on their own at many backcountry yurts. Not at Hornstein's.

He will guide skiers to their yurt, carry supplies by snowmobile and sled, chop wood and stoke the stove. He'll guide skiers on day-long tours and then cook dinner, part of his ''deluxe'' package. He will share your beer.

He has carried oxygen tanks for East Coast models on photo shoots. Outdoor apparel makers call on him for wilderness getaways. His youngest visitor was an 11-month-old, carried by her parents.

Standard yurt rates in the Tushars are $125 a night or $150 for a larger yurt higher in the mountains, but those and other rates are somewhat negotiable, depending on the needs of customers, size of the group and length of tours.

Hornstein says some visitors find his yurts Spartan, while others say it's better than sleeping in a tent. They sit on wood-plank platforms, a round hut with a cone-shaped roof to shed snow, topped by a skylight. Some of the bare furniture was salvaged from friends and the town dump. At Puffer Lake yurt, the ''outhouse'' is a 5-gallon pail under a plastic deck chair, with a toilet seat lashed on top.

''You sit on it with your clothes on first to warm it up,'' says Hornstein, trying to be helpful. ''My other tip is to wait until you really have to go.''

His other yurt features the ''Taj Mahal'' of outhouses - a concrete Forest Service structure with covered entry and skylight.

Hornstein has a way of looking on the brighter side of things. Outside it was below zero, and inside the Puffer Lake yurt he had barely fired up a wood stove when he said, ''It must be 60 degrees in here already." It still took a goose-down jacket to stay warm.

That night - Hornstein said it was his coldest in a canvas yurt - was a battle between wood stove and temperatures that plunged to minus-6. Interior temperatures advanced and retreated as the potbellied stove burned and demanded more wood.

The next evening was a balmy 20 degrees.

Scientists describe the Tushars (pronounced TUSH-AYRS) with awe.

''It used to be one stratovolcano after another,'' said Carl Ege, a Utah state geologist who calls it ''one of my favorites'' for its beauty, remote location and lack of crowds.

Beaver Canyon, the 18-mile entry to Elk Meadows, exposes thick piles of magma, mudflows and solidified volcanic tuff or ash. The region's most violent eruptions ended about 19 million years ago, geologists say, when the Pacific oceanic plate consumed itself under this part of North America. They are unlikely to return.

The Tushars are home to one of Utah's largest herds of mountain goats, which cling to the flanks of peaks even during winter, browsing for sparse grasses and lichen.

The peaks hold about 120 goats, which keep to small groups, says Terry Krasko, a district ranger in the Fishlake National Forest.

Krasko's Beaver district is prized for recreation, with large roadless areas and trails reserved just for hikers, who can stroll through stands of ancient spruce and mature aspen under austere peaks.

''Timber operations are not real big here,'' Krasko said. ''Most of the timber removal is related to forest restoration. It's not an industrial forest like some other areas.''

If you go

* Tushar Mountain Tours: Guests who make the long drive to Elk Meadows - 220 miles from Salt Lake City, 244 miles from Las Vegas - can spend the first night in a condominium at a ski area that has stood idle for three years, waiting for a new buyer. Condos go for as little as $100 a night, and ski guide Alec Hornstein holds the keys for their owners.

* In the backcountry, more ambitious skiers may want his day-long service for travel across avalanche-prone terrain, at $150 a day. They'll also need their own avalanche beacons.

* Hornstein charges $40 for mandatory guiding to the Puffer Lake yurt, 1.4 miles from a trailhead on the boundary of the ski area. The fee is $80 to the higher Snorkeling Elk Yurt, 4.6 miles from another trailhead.

* The Puffer Lake yurt rents for $125 a night and can fit four people comfortably. The Snorkeling yurt, with ample space for six people, goes for $150 a night. Each yurt could stuff in another two people.

* A three-night journey from one yurt to the next goes for $150 a skier.

cachehiker
12-30-2005, 01:49 PM
You bet. I've done at least one night in a yurt with a few friends the last three winters. In fact, I'm heading out on another trip in a couple of weeks. We'll pack in on a Friday, go for a long ski or snowshoe Saturday, and pack back out on the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday.

There are usually four or five of us in a "six man" yurt or five or six in an "eight man" yurt for two nights. It's cramped enough that way. I can't imagine having a yurt filled to its rated capacity. It ends up running each of us about $30-$40 per night.

Most of us snowshoe in to the yurt as we own only xc skis where telemark gear is required. Without metal edges, appreciable width, or much sidecut, I have enough trouble turning and stopping in the backcountry without adding a backpack.

I know the trail we're going on this year so I'll probably pack light for a change, rent some telemark gear, and give it a go. Last time I packed in two bottles of wine and a six pack of beer. This time I'll restrict myself to a couple of small bottles of mead.

Iceaxe
12-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Where are you going?

I have a friend who tells me there are a couple yurts near Pocatello, ID that he rents.

:cool2:

cachehiker
01-02-2006, 05:58 PM
We're headed to a yurt at the top of Bunchgrass Creek which is adjacent to Tony Grove. I believe it is run by Powder Ridge Outfitters. It's 4 miles in with a 2000 ft. elevation gain and lies near a "snowmobile corridor". This means you often have to put up with the noise and smell from 2 cycle engines until after dark.

I've skied it many times on a basic but manueverable xc touring setup but it lies at the extent of my ability given the equipment i'm generally using. Two hills in particular get to me when the snow is less than ideal. Both require a couple of clean turns that I can't execute in deep powder or icier conditions, only the nice not quite packed stuff.

Most of the snowmobilers seem to assume "corridor" means "playground". Bunchgrass Creek used to be "emergency only" access but they just opened it up to regular snowmobile traffic. If this trip goes badly, it might be my last yurt for a long while and an excuse to join the enviromentalists in an attempt to preserve a few quiet, accessible places.

There is acre after acre here that is 10-20 miles in and therefore too much for anybody on anything less than a snowmobile. In spite of this, I continually hear enthusiasts saying they have to have access to each and every canyon, even the steep ones that only go 3-4 miles in from right next to the highway. Living next to a snowmobile "gem" kinda sucks.

:cry1:

accadacca
01-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Be sure to post a TR after your trip cachehiker. I might be interested in doing a trip like this. Sounds like a good time. :cool2:

Shan
01-06-2006, 02:31 PM
I did a yurt trip last year. There was 7 of us and we rented the University Yurt up Logan Canyon for 2 nights. We skied in and it was 4.5 miles/2500 verticle feet? and it took about 4 hours. It wasn't a hard ski, just a pain with a 50 pound pack on and being my first season on skis other than xc skis ever! We all had telemark setups, so the skins helped with uphill trekking.

The yurt was situated about a 10 min. tour from a ridge. From the ridge you had all of Little Cottonwood Canyon to play in. We stayed on the easier side, though you could see the other side of the canyon that was for more advanced folks. We also did a night tour, just around very mellow meadows (to be safe at night).

It snowed about 16" inches everyday. Keeping the yurt out of the snow, keeping the step clear, and making water were constant chores. The powder was great and it was alot of fun.

The ski out was a b*tch. I fell probably 100 times and each time I fell I'd have to unclip that beast of a pack, pull myself up, get the pack back on me, then fall over again. That was exhausting.

The yurt has 2 sets of double bunk beds. So 4 people per bunk. They had all the cups, bowls, pans you needed. You only needed to bring your food. There was a mice problem there, so your food was kept in 5 gallon buckets that doubled as seats. All the dishes had to be turned upside down. Nothing could touch the floor. The one thing I didn't like about this yurt is that the tent was plastic and all the condensation would drip and get your sleeping bags all wet.

Here are some photos:

hesse15
01-06-2006, 03:36 PM
I did a yurt trip last year. There was 7 of us and we rented the University Yurt up Logan Canyon for 2 nights. We skied in and it was 4.5 miles/2500 verticle feet? and it took about 4 hours. It wasn't a hard ski, just a pain with a 50 pound pack on and being my first season on skis other than xc skis ever! We all had telemark setups, so the skins helped with uphill trekking.

The yurt was situated about a 10 min. tour from a ridge. From the ridge you had all of Little Cottonwood Canyon to play in. We stayed on the easier side, though you could see the other side of the canyon that was for more advanced folks. We also did a night tour, just around very mellow meadows (to be safe at night).

It snowed about 16" inches everyday. Keeping the yurt out of the snow, keeping the step clear, and making water were constant chores. The powder was great and it was alot of fun.

The ski out was a b*tch. I fell probably 100 times and each time I fell I'd have to unclip that beast of a pack, pull myself up, get the pack back on me, then fall over again. That was exhausting.

The yurt has 2 sets of double bunk beds. So 4 people per bunk. They had all the cups, bowls, pans you needed. You only needed to bring your food. There was a mice problem there, so your food was kept in 5 gallon buckets that doubled as seats. All the dishes had to be turned upside down. Nothing could touch the floor. The one thing I didn't like about this yurt is that the tent was plastic and all the condensation would drip and get your sleeping bags all wet.

Here are some photos:
wow beside the mice problem sounds like an awesome time :2thumbs:

Sombeech
01-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool! I've never heard of a yurt before.

Does it stay there year long?

Shan
01-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Yurts I think were invented by the Mongolian nomads. They could break down this portable structure and load it on the horses and move.

This one does stay there all year round. They built it on some kind of hardwood floor so it's elevated off the ground a few feet. You would not want to walk around in your socks by any means. It was always wet from the snow.

Some are pretty plush, having hot tubs next to them. There are some nice ones in Sun Valley. http://www.svtrek.com/huts_yurts/index.html

cpn cntrpnch
01-09-2006, 02:55 PM
I've done a yurt trip in the Tushers with Alec.

http://wowasatch.com/pictures/Tushers/looking-north.jpg

Spent two nights in the yurt and had some fine spring ski conditions last April.

http://wowasatch.com/pictures/Tushers/tri-u.jpg

We did what Alec claimed was a first descent of the chute in the left background, the second day.

http://wowasatch.com/pictures/Tushers/looking-at-the-chute.jpg

Takes a while from the Puffer Lake yurt to get over there.

http://wowasatch.com/pictures/Tushers/long-march.jpg

Winds can be very strong and were the day we skied that chute, with gusts around 50mph. Ya don't get that in the brochures. Adds excitment to chute entries.

http://wowasatch.com/pictures/Tushers/side-slipping.jpg

It was timed well.

http://wowasatch.com/pictures/Tushers/g-in-heli-free.jpg

Here's a picture of Alec in action.

http://wowasatch.com/pictures/Tushers/our-guide.jpg

He's a great guy and there are very few others in the Tusher mtns., especially since Elk Meadows remains closed.
Would recommend the yurt trip there.
Oh yeah
Here's a link (http://www.mountainmurph.com/TripReports/TR2005/Tushars2005/Tushars05.htm) to another trip report of the same yurt trip including a video.

Sombeech
01-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Sweet photos, cpn! Thanks.
:2thumbs:
Welcome to the forum as well!