PDA

View Full Version : What to buy

rock_ski_cowboy
12-22-2005, 11:56 AM
I'd like to start biking to work 3 times a week to help stay in shape. Its about 5 or 6 miles I'd guess with one small hill. I'd also like to have a mountain bike for the occasional ride (like once or twice a year), but I doubt that either cycling or mountain biking will ever become a significant hobby for me (at least in the near future). Am I going to wish I had a road bike or is riding a mtn bike to work going to be reasonable each day. (i can't really justify both at this point)

mroy
12-22-2005, 12:16 PM
You can buy slick's for your mountain bike. The slick tires I have are smooth on the top and have some knobs on the side for traction while turning. Those will speed up and smooth the ride out, though you'll still expend more energy riding a mountain bike on the road than riding a road bike. I've even ridden some more serious trails with the slicks on cause I couldn't be bothered to switch to knobbies for that ride, and they were fine 99% of the ride.

accadacca
12-22-2005, 04:33 PM
I have a second set of road rims for my mountain bike with some slicks and a smaller rear cassette. Works great! :nod:

rock_ski_cowboy
12-22-2005, 04:46 PM
I have a second set of road rims for my mountain bike with some slicks and a smaller rear cassette. Works great! :nod:

whats a rear cassette?

derstuka
12-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I'd like to start biking to work 3 times a week to help stay in shape. Its about 5 or 6 miles I'd guess with one small hill. I'd also like to have a mountain bike for the occasional ride (like once or twice a year), but I doubt that either cycling or mountain biking will ever become a significant hobby for me (at least in the near future). Am I going to wish I had a road bike or is riding a mtn bike to work going to be reasonable each day. (i can't really justify both at this point)

I agree with mroy. If you can have only one, I would buy a mtn bike, and put slicks on it. You could throw some knobbies if you should ever feel the urge to explore the offroad. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

derstuka
12-22-2005, 07:01 PM

whats a rear cassette?

The cogs (small sprockets/gears) all bunched together on the rightside of your rear hub are referred to as a cassette. Today's mtn bikes normally have 8-9speed (that means 8 to 9 separate cogs) cassette, with 9speed having taken over a few years back. Silly if you ask me, narrower weaker chain, more opportunities for a missed-shift, harder to fine-tune, more ghost-shifting. I would take a 7 or 8 speed anyday, although I only need ONE gear these days! 1FG baby! :rockon:

rock_ski_cowboy
02-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Tax returns are coming. Time to actually act on my resolution and get a bike. I don't know crap, and its kind of hopeless feeling. Honestly, it will be mostly for excercise and I will rarely if ever use it for hardcore recreation (maybe once a year). A hardtail will do just fine. I really am looking to pay around 500 dollars or less... if I ever get "in to" the sport, I'm sure I'll be willing to drop a few g's and get a really good bike. For now I just want something reliable and of good quality but it doesn't have to be mega fancy or ultralight or anything.

A few specific questions I wonder about are:
1) what brands are worth looking at?
2) What height of bike for me (5'11" 165 lbs) 18? 20?
3) What other things to watch out for?

That said, I looked through the classified and found a few used bikes that were in my price range. Any comments on each bike from those of you that know would be helpful (and if its the most amazing deal you've ever seen, please don't tell me it sucks and buy it out from under me )... Even if I don't end up buying these bikes it will be helpful to know pros and cons may be for them and similar bikes...

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/136945843.html

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/134800760.html

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/136940896.html

link (http://sell.ksl.com/cgi-bin/classifieds.pl?db=sporting&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=23642&query=retrieval)

Thanks,

Ben :five:

Mtnbiker
02-28-2006, 05:07 PM
In that price and of those choices I would definitely go with the Stumpjumper. They are great frames, and would be a nice mid-level bike to have if you start to do any trails and/or more than recreational riding.

The 17.5" is a medium and may be a little on the small side if you are 5'11. I rode a 19" Rockhopper for a while (next model down from the stumpjumper) and I am 5'10.

I would suggest stopping by a shop to get fitted properly and that way you at least have an idea of the size you need, even if you end up buying a used bike. It never hurts to give them a little business though, the local bike shops can always use it. Buy your slicks and a few tubes from them at least.

As far as brands.. in my opinion the manufacturing methods of today are far more reliable and consistent than in times past, and if you stick with a fairly well known brand, they will all last many years for what you want to do.
I've owned or do own bikes by specialized (3), Gary Fisher, GT, Marin and Giant. They are all reliable and have stood up to a lot of abuse.
Other good names sold locally are Cannondale, Trek, etc..

Let us know what you end up with!

accadacca
02-28-2006, 06:21 PM
None of those bikes did much from me. I would browse around ebay. I am also in the market for a bike and ebay is hard to beat. Another reason that I don't like these listings is because they don't list every part on the bikes. The components are the meat of the bike. I could better analyze a bike for you on ebay. They have lots of pictures and usually a list of components.

I think you could find a full suspension in your price range. I think you would regret getting a hard tail down the road. Bike shops have some sweet deals right now too. I would stop by Taylor's bike shop in West Valley if I was you. I was in there the other day having a cassette swapped and they seemed to have some good closeout deals.

But certainly check ebay. I saw this local bike (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7220367772&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1) the other day and thought it was a good deal. It went for a bit more than what you are planning on spending. But a helluva deal if you ask me. Now back to looking for my bike. :popcorn:

Oh, yeah and there is a bike swap this Saturday at the fairgrounds. Check the calendar for details. :rockon:

TreeHugger
03-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Mtnbkr was right on suggestion you go to a lbs and try a couple of bikes to see what size it right. Fit is everything. Remember, you can always upgrade components after the fact, so if the frame is a good frame and it fits nicely and feels good, go for it and build it up bit by bit as you can afford it.

I had a Stumpjumper and loved it. Great bike. Gary Fisher, GT also make very good entry level bikes. Bike shops may still have some 2005s they are trying to broom right now, call around.

How far are you communting and do you have a safe place to store your bike while at work?? I would not lock a new bike up outside. You might consider going to the bike swap this weekend (Sat) and picking up a "commuter bike" for cheap, then save your pennies for a good entry level mtb for riding trails. BUT. if you go - go early and plan on standing in line a while - people rush in and grab bikes really quickly.

Good luck, and welcome to the dark side!! :2thumbs:

Sombeech
03-14-2006, 05:05 PM
I need to send this link to my uncle. He's always asking me. He's the one with the afro in the helmet cam vids.

greyhair biker
03-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Somebeech - I feel like a heel - I was supposed to get back with your uncle on a couple of bikes after St. George & I haven't. He put his # on my phone so I'll call him but I haven't found anything earthshattering to report. I still have the nearly new GT XCR4000 for sale for around $800 - complete with XT and XTR components...it's not going anywhere so I'll get some pics on here & let him know. Acca is dead on though...E-bay is great for checking out bikes & they have some great deals but your best off kinda knowing what you want first...Fit is everything! My favs are GT and Rocky Mountain. Canyon Cycles in Draper is probably the best when it comes to RM. Taylor bikeshop is awesome too & the lady in the wheelchair is amazing for service & knowledge. :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
03-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Here's the XCR4000

Sombeech
03-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Somebeech - I feel like a heel - I was supposed to get back with your uncle on a couple of bikes after St. George & I haven't. He put his # on my phone so I'll call him but I haven't found anything earthshattering to report.

Don't worry, we've all been a little busy. I'll send him this link though. Those are pretty good pics. Thanks.