PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Hurricane rim/Gould's Rim/Jem trail loop

Mtnbiker
12-21-2005, 09:02 PM
So...... after a refreshing 20 degree night in the tent listening to the coyotes howl and watching the stars overhead, we set off to hit another new trail on the way out of town.

This would be the Hurricane Rim/Gould's Rim/JEM trails, which when put together make the most fun 21.5 miles I've ridden in a long time. It's obvious the local group takes great pride in this trail system and it shows - great signage and trail mantenance, and just plain fun trail! :hail2thechief:

Once again the weatherman was spot on with the forecast - sunny and 50.... NOPE! Turned out to be drizzly/snowy and maybe low 40's, if that. :cold: Oh well, that's no excuse not to ride.

Ridden counterclockwise the loop starts out as a 1.8 mile fireroad climb where you'll have to dodge grazing cows and shell casings, and shockingly enough, cowpies. The climb isn't terrible, just a reminder that more cardio is needed in my winter routine. Then you start in on the Gould's Rim trail, which is some fantastic winding scenic, and mostly flat desert singletrack that overlooks a huge rocky ravine.

You twist your way around a few more miles, meandering easterly up and down over numerous whoops and end up turning the corner of the mesa you've been riding under, and are greeted by a towering Gooseberry Mesa overhead.

Ride North across US-59 and under the Mesa hooking up with the JEM trail. From here it is a middle ring (or big ring for the tough guys) blaster for several miles, and is the kind of trail that makes your face hurt from smiling :haha:

Then, follow the sings for the Hurricane Rim trail and do a fair amount of climbing, some fun and technical, to the rim overlooking the city of Hurricane. The ride starts and ends at the Canal trail parking lot just east of town.
Blah blah blah.... here are a few pics of this great (and tiring) 21 mile fun factory.
They're not necessarily in order. I keep forgetting you have to post them in backward order.

Sombeech
12-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Cool! I've only done the JEM trail, but that looks like a pretty fun combo.

Look for this in the Trip Report Index (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651) as well. Thanks man.

accadacca
12-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Good times.....I have also ridden the JEM with Sombeech this summer. Great trail system! I need to hit the others. Great views! :ride:

Mtnbiker
12-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah this loop was great fun although as you know some of it is high speed cruising, so not as much fun when it's in the low 40's. I was counting the seconds till that first cup of hot coffee after this ride. It's on my list again as soon as it hits 50!

And actually now that I think of it, I'd bet it would be super fun in both directions too.

greyhair biker
02-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Cool! You'd have enjoyed the trip we just got back from! Hook up with us next time out :2thumbs: