PDA

View Full Version : Zion National Park Photo Contest

tanya
12-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Enter your photos of Zion National Park and win free lodging, meals, golf, a massage and a tour of Red Cave!

http://www.eastziontourismcouncil.org/photo.htm

Bo_Beck
01-20-2006, 07:06 AM
I'll be sure to enter this year! :nod:

tanya
04-19-2007, 04:48 PM
We have our winner. What a tough choice. There was about 15 judges and we came up with a first place and 2 runner ups. There were so many great shots though!!!

price1869
04-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Did you have any pro photographers in the judging panel?

tanya
04-19-2007, 08:15 PM
There were artists from Maynard Dixon and an art teacher as well as many that are avid photo bugs. The panel consists of business owners on the east side of Zion and no one in this area calls themselves a professional photographer that I know of.

I can't say I agree with the photos that won or not, but the first place winner got a bunch of votes.

The theme of the contest is... make me say Wow! So the photo should be something that makes people want to visit Zion.

I have seen a lot of amazing photos on this group, but I am not sure anyone entered.... although I never looked at names or anything until I just put them on that website.

price1869
04-19-2007, 10:00 PM
The winner makes me say "Wow, that photo is hard on the eyes." The colors are all crazy and harsh, not to mention erratic.

The other ones have hard contrasts, but hey, I didn't enter anything, so who am I to bitch?

Bo_Beck
04-20-2007, 05:20 AM
We have our winner. What a tough choice. There was about 15 judges and we came up with a first place and 2 runner ups. There were so many great shots though!!!

Ok, I'm not a pro photographer and I entered for the second year and no cookies! I guess I have another year of photo taking to give it another try! I couldn't see the photos, just loaded half of it here at home on my "High Speed Dial-Up" connection, but will definately take a peek when I get to work. I think its cool that EZTC offers the chance to enter and win in this contest! Thanks Tanya and EZTC! :2thumbs:

Win
04-20-2007, 05:47 AM
I think those are alll terrific photos, good choice of a winner.
Better that you don't have "pros" judging and being critical of style, composition etc. Your panel speaks from the heart and all of you live in the area. Very well done.

I sent a few in, I'll try again next year.

Win

tanya
04-20-2007, 06:47 AM
The winner makes me say "Wow, that photo is hard on the eyes." The colors are all crazy and harsh, not to mention erratic.

The other ones have hard contrasts, but hey, I didn't enter anything, so who am I to bitch?

You can send yours in to day for next year. We have the actual prints for the contest and the online version often looses what we do see. Most of the photos were outstanding. I did notice that is helps to send in the 8 X 10's because even if smaller photos are outstanding its rough to compete when they are sitting next to big ones.

I look forward to seeing your stuff... although I make it a point to never look at who took a photo until the judging is over. If I were the only judge there would have been different winners, but with such a big panel of judges I think it works better than just going by one persons opinion.

PS.... I would be in shock if you did like the way it was set up and who won Price. :lol8:

tanya
04-20-2007, 06:50 AM

Ok, I'm not a pro photographer and I entered for the second year and no cookies! I guess I have another year of photo taking to give it another try! I couldn't see the photos, just loaded half of it here at home on my "High Speed Dial-Up" connection, but will definately take a peek when I get to work. I think its cool that EZTC offers the chance to enter and win in this contest! Thanks Tanya and EZTC! :2thumbs:

Did you? One of the artists is putting together an album of all the photos that entered and it will be kept at the Rock Church in Mount Carmel. I will have to look and see which were yours. I did notice any off hand that I should of from our trips? Are you sure you mailed them. :haha:

tanya
04-20-2007, 06:50 AM
I think those are alll terrific photos, good choice of a winner.
Better that you don't have "pros" judging and being critical of style, composition etc. Your panel speaks from the heart and all of you live in the area. Very well done.

I sent a few in, I'll try again next year.

Win

I hope you do! You are an amazing photographer!

price1869
04-20-2007, 08:25 AM

You can send yours in to day for next year. We have the actual prints for the contest and the online version often looses what we do see. Most of the photos were outstanding. I did notice that is helps to send in the 8 X 10's because even if smaller photos are outstanding its rough to compete when they are sitting next to big ones.

I look forward to seeing your stuff... although I make it a point to never look at who took a photo until the judging is over. If I were the only judge there would have been different winners, but with such a big panel of judges I think it works better than just going by one persons opinion.

PS.... I would be in shock if you did like the way it was set up and who won Price. :lol8:

It's not always easy to do my job. :haha: