PDA

View Full Version : A few snowshoe pics

TreeHugger
12-20-2005, 05:20 PM
These are taken going up Red Pine Lake.[/img]

accadacca
12-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Cool thanks. I am really getting the itch to go skiing after seeing that beautiful snow. :cool2:

Glockguy
12-20-2005, 11:04 PM
How long does it take to get up there on shoes?

dbessee
12-21-2005, 05:58 AM
Great pics!

Thanks for posting, makes me really want to get out in the snow instead of working on the car today! :frustrated:

jumar
12-21-2005, 06:50 AM
Ohhhh those pictures brought back some memories. Some of my first alpine climbing practice was up on the Pfeiferhorn when I was a youth. Definitely makes me want to head up there again.

TreeHugger
12-21-2005, 06:51 AM
We didnt make it to the lake, we got probably 2.5 miles up (?) in about an hour and 45 minutes. I'm not sure how close we were - we got to that little bridge and turned around.

It was really really nice. :-)

Glockguy
12-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Ohhhh those pictures brought back some memories. Some of my first alpine climbing practice was up on the Pfeiferhorn when I was a youth. Definitely makes me want to head up there again.

I would love to do the little Matterhorn in the winter. A funny story..when I moved to Utah as a1 3 year old from Germany my Dad and I wanted to to start hiking the mountains here. We decided Mt Olympus looked pretty cool, so we decided to make that our goal. We wanted to get a little practice run in and give the Red Pine Lake hike a try to get ready for our big a ascent. So we got up to Upper Red Pine and decided what the heck let's keep on going. We ended up summiting Pfeiferhorn. Nevertheless, we were defiantly ready for Mt Olympus!

jumar
12-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah I'd love to do it again myself. It's been a long time. I'm probably not in good enough shape anymore :haha:

Iceaxe
12-21-2005, 12:45 PM
First snowshoe I ever did was Maybird Gulch. Seeing the bridge (to Maybird) in your pics revived some good memories.

:thumb:

Mtnbiker
12-21-2005, 09:56 PM
I like the snow on top of the rocks in the stream, cool pic. Would you say this trail has pretty high avalanche danger? I mean many of the trails around here do, but when we did it this summer I remember thinking about how steep the chutes were.

TreeHugger
12-22-2005, 07:40 AM
Hey Ian,

I think this trail is relatively safe. There are a couple of spots that you would want to be aware when passing by, but other than that, there are many trees and it seems pretty sheltered. Call or go on line to the Avalanche Center to check conditions before going.

Karen

DickHead
12-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Great pics!

Thanks for posting, makes me really want to get out in the snow instead of working on the car today! :frustrated:

No shit there. I worked on the basement for 4 hours on wed, when I could have been doing anything else.

Scott P
12-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Nice pics TreeHugger.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of my three-year old son Kessler, on his first winter ascent of a mountain on snowshoes (last week). Unfortunately, it was very cold.

accadacca
12-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Cool Scott! Good name too. :cool2:

Scott P
12-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Cool Scott! Good name too

Thanks.

Kessler is named after a mountain in the Wasatch!

Our daughter is named for one in the Cascades!

TreeHugger
12-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Ooooo, he looks cold! :-) I think it's awesome that he's out there and not in front of a video game!! :-)

Where is that?

Scott P
12-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Where is that?

Cedar Mtn in NW Colorado. It was 15F that day, the warmest day in a long time, but it was windy.