PDA

View Full Version : winter canyoneering options...?

marc olivares
12-20-2005, 04:05 PM
hey guys,
i'm looking for some winter (no water) canyoneering options.
maybe a few i can do w/ my kids and some not (2A-3A).
just trying to broaden my winter activity options.

thanks...:2thumbs:

Iceaxe
12-20-2005, 04:34 PM
I assume you have already done Little Wild Horse with the kids.... if not put it at the top of the list. Music is a tech canyon in the Swell that is usually dry if you do it as a down and back up. Crack canyon is good with kids.

In the Roost Bluejohn and the Mindbenders are usually pretty dry if you want tech routes. Moonshine Wash and Horseshoe Canyon are good dry hiker canyons that would be great for kids.

The Irish Canyons (Leprechaun, ect) are usually great winter tech canyons.

Fun stuff to explore around Moab.

I'm sure others will list stuff I've missed.

:drums:

marc olivares
12-20-2005, 06:49 PM
yeah we've done Crack, Bell, Little wild horse, Ding and Dang w/ the kids.
they loved them.
always interested in stuff close to Moab, we seem to go down there a lot, for 4 wheeling trips.
thanks for the suggestions shane, anyone else?

maybe i should check out Leprechaun...that looks interesting :smile:

Iceaxe
12-20-2005, 07:08 PM
I took a group of kids through Leprechaun (Right Fork). Not to bad if you have a couple other adults with tech experiance to help out. One adult per kid works nice. Here are a couple pics of our kiddie trip.

marc olivares
12-20-2005, 07:52 PM
that's awesome...My little boy will love it :2thumbs:

hesse15
12-20-2005, 10:16 PM
I took a group of kids through Leprechaun (Right Fork). Not to bad if you have a couple other adults with tech experiance to help out. One adult per kid works nice. Here are a couple pics of our kiddie trip.

why your daughter does not have an harness? :frustrated:

Iceaxe
12-21-2005, 07:33 AM
why your daughter does not have an harness? :frustrated:

These pics were all taken after the last rappel so I take her harness off so she doesn't trash it sliding around on the rocks. From the last rappel to the exit involves some really cool narrows (I call them the Kiddie Narrows) that only the children can fit through. But they slide on their butts a lot doing them. There is a simple walk around for the adults.

Ice

Scott P
12-21-2005, 07:52 AM
BETA DELETED

hesse15
12-21-2005, 10:40 AM
These pics were all taken after the last rappel so I take her harness off so she doesn't trash it sliding around on the rocks. From the last rappel to the exit involves some really cool narrows (I call them the Kiddie Narrows) that only the children can fit through. But they slide on their butts a lot doing them. There is a simple walk around for the adults.

Ice
:five: :nod: :maestro:
she looks so proud with the rope around her shoulder eclipsee_steering
your daughters are very lucky kids ,that do not have a family just trying to tech them how to make cookies and similar BS that most local girls have to do
good job Iceaxe!!! :2thumbs:

marc olivares
12-21-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm hitting some stuff in the Ticaboo area this winter (but really far from any road, so it would be a 3-4 day trip) if you're interested.

If your interested in non-tech canyons, there are well over a hundred I could name that would be dry, but I assume this isn't what you are looking for?

Scott, i would definately be interested in a canyon trip. would this canyon be more accessible w/ a well equiped 4x4? i can drive :cool2:

i would also be interested in non-technical stuff i can take my little ones through too, so any that you might know of please post a few up, or email me at Marc@scoot.net

Iceaxe
12-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Marc, how old are your kids?

marc olivares
12-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Miles is almost 5, he hikes pretty well and is good for about 3 miles (4 w/ rests)
he did the climb to lake Blanche this fall on his own, but slept in the pack coming down...
ruby is 2, she's a backpack stuffer and is generally really great. sometimes she goes, sometimes she stays at grandmas.

they have been w/ us on most of the east side swell canyons but that's about if for their canyoneering experience.

Scott P
12-21-2005, 02:09 PM

jumar
12-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Speaking of Winter canyoneering, I think I found something I want so I can do wet canyons year round :twisted:

http://www.machovec.com/catalog/ic9000.htm

http://icerescue.marsars.com/it030001.html

Scott P
12-21-2005, 02:22 PM

marc olivares
12-21-2005, 05:08 PM
If you are interested, I would bet my son would like to go with Miles. Kessler (my son) loves the mountains and canyons, but he always asking if more kids can come.

that would be fun.
just say the word when, we're in SLC.