PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Ice At?

climbinghalfdome
12-19-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm planning a trip to come to Utah just after Christmas and were are thinking about Little Cottonwood or Provo Canyon. Looking for an Ice report. Has anyone been in that area yet? I'm also looking for any beta of Logan Canyon.
If you Utah boys are looking for some veriety come up north to Twin Falls ID. I was there on Saturday and the ice seemed limitless. The Snake River Canyon flows east to west and the south side of the canyon has a North facing cliff that is 4 -5 pitches tall. The rock is Black Basalt and this North facing cliff gets no sun at all. I saw a 3 pitch climb that looked inviting but would make for a long day. The majority of the ice is 50-70 feet tall and all WI 4 or 4- so your in for a treat. The lack of development means that the topouts are sick and you'll find your self anchoring off on to bushes, shrubs and a car bumper. Best bet is to rap down into the canyon by TG Max or Outback Steak House parking lots. Then Climb out or hike out. There were a couple of 40 foot drips right on the road.
As always keeeep climbing.
Halfdome

jumar
12-19-2005, 08:22 AM
Great White in LCC is in. Most likely crowded. LOL
I haven't heard about Scruffy Band how thick it is....

Provo Canyon most everything should be in great shape. Stairway, Bridleveil, White NIghtmare, The fang, millers....etc should be in good shape.

It's been a good year for ice so far. BUT...temps are going to be in the 40's this week. Good for some routes, bad for others.

Iceaxe
12-19-2005, 08:51 AM
I also hear Malan's in Ogden is in and in good shape. :bootyshake:

Iceaxe
12-20-2005, 05:03 PM
I think all the ice is melting :cry1:

jumar
12-21-2005, 06:20 AM
Joe's will probably still be okay. Battle creek is going to be in sorry shape for sure. :wallbash:

I might check on the Provo canyon ice this weekend and see the damage.

BUT We've still got all of january and february for temps to drop again. :cold:

finimedic
01-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Went to Joe's Valley Friday and the ice was good. Dead bolt/ Highway to Heaven was as wide as I have ever seen it in 5 years. Plenty thick to climb, but the left side was really wet with a surface crust that had to be cleared. We went up the middle of the fall and hiked for a 1/2 hour. The flows up higher were fun.

Talked with somebody who went over and climbed CCC Falls. He said the 3rd of upper falls weren't in but the bottom falls were in. Which they looked that way from the road.

finimedic

jumar
01-04-2006, 05:51 PM
We climbed CCC falls a week ago Monday and it was nice and thick. I want to head down there again sometime soon, since there's nothing left up in the Wasatch

finimedic
01-08-2006, 10:54 PM
went to joe's valley thursday the 5th. first fall up to tree belay in at ccc falls. didn't do third pitch or last fall kinda mangy. highway to heaven in, main fall still in good and gully ice is good albeit snow covered had to do a lot of clearing away of snow

finimedic

jumar
01-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Checked out Joe's again this last Saturday. Wolfenstein was in good shape, as was Highway and CCC. With the temps being colder since then, it'll be some good climbing. I won't be able to get out and climb for probably 3 weeks though pissed: