PDA

View Full Version : Full on camping

DickHead
12-17-2005, 03:25 PM
I proposed to the admin that we make this section not just a backpacking but a backpacking and camping section....who's with me?

Anyone have a canvas wall tent? I've been harassing the wife mercilessly about getting one.

Sombeech
12-17-2005, 04:11 PM
I proposed to the admin that we make this section not just a backpacking but a backpacking and camping section....who's with me?

I think it's a good idea, or atleast have a camping section somewhere. I wonder if backpacking, and the tailgate campers will mix though. I'm a fan of both sides though.

DickHead
12-17-2005, 04:33 PM

I think it's a good idea, or atleast have a camping section somewhere. I wonder if backpacking, and the tailgate campers will mix though. I'm a fan of both sides though.

Why not? Sure, with backpacking, getting there is half the fun. Given the various opportunities to back-country car-camp in Utah, I think that getting there in the car is fun, too.
Shared technology, techniques, tips and adventures.
Seems like a logical mix to me.

dbessee
12-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Sounds good to me.

Lots of possible shared tips & tech.

I'm a backpacker but I've done plenty of car camping too and both work to get you away from cell coverage!

Don

Udink
12-17-2005, 05:44 PM
I wonder if backpacking, and the tailgate campers will mix though. I'm a fan of both sides though.
Depends on how you define "camping."

http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/0371e960-6d55-40d9-8d4c-a39e0ff899d9.jpg

My truck has an awful big "backpack" attached to it. :naughty:

Seriously though, I think a camping section would work well either way. I do a lot of camping, but probably not the same kind as most folks on this forum.

dbessee
12-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Your truck's "backpack" is my favorite way to do a dive trip. Park at the beach, suit up and go!

Don

BrokenHorn
12-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Did some one mention wall tents?
:2thumbs:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/BrokenHorn/Hunting/ElkCamp.jpg

DickHead
12-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Looks like the admin agreed with me.
:2thumbs:

Any recommendations on wall tents? I'm thinking about Kirkham's.

BrokenHorn
12-19-2005, 04:49 PM
My tent is made by Kirkhams. I would not by another wall tent from Kirkhams again!!! I have a spring bar which I love and would by another but their wall tents...
Lets just make the story short. I ordered a custom 14X16X5 the one in the pic. What I got was a 12X14.5X5 tent. I took it back. When I got it back they replaced my vinyl sod cloth with cotton. W.T.F!!! I took it back. They replaced it with the vinyl. I always had a hard time squaring the tent. To I cut a piece of rope on the hypotenuse angle so I could get the tent square. Guess what. The tent was a foot out of square!!! :twisted:
I took it back again! It is finally square but now I have 3 foot panels, 1 foot panels and even 18" panels. Grommets are not evenly spaced around the perimeter. I use a traditional pole set so it looks awful.

This whole thing took about 3 months. Which was during the hunting season which I had plans to use my tent for. I paid 900+ just for the tent and I'm still not happy.

Yes, they tried to make it right but it isn't and when spending that kind of money on something I expect it to be right!

Davis tents are good. Cylinder stove has their tents made by them too.