PDA

View Full Version : snowshoeing in Bryce?

canyonphile
12-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Just joined the list....

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever snowshoed in Bryce? A few years ago, when I was living in Flagstaff, there was discussion of doing a trip to Bryce for that purpose. I actually have not been there since I was a kid, so I'm not familiar with the trails.

Where would good lodging around the area be? Hotel? Cabins?

Also - has that area even gotten snow yet? I know Colorado has gotten a lot of snow, but here in AZ, we are bone dry thus far....

I'd love to make a trip up there this winter, if it were feasible to do so.

Thanks!

-Sonya

bruce from bryce
12-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey there Phile,

We had snow here on Friday, Dec 2nd, 3-4 inches but nothing since then. Generally we need about 18 inches of snow to have a successful snowshoeing adventure. Expected weather the next 10 days --no precipitation and cold at nights 0-10 degrees.

Email me sideband for some recommendations on accomodations. I'll keep you advised when we achieve that optimum amount of snow.

:rockon:

bruce from bryce
02-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Well the Snow Festival has come and gone and so has the snow. We are reporting 5" on the ground but it is so patchy that you need to be about 20' tall to reach from one area to another.

Does not look good for any more winter activities and is looking very bad for runoff. Last week our measuring station had about 40% of normal. Hope for next year.

Get ready for summer sports.

bruce from bryce