PDA

View Full Version : New member intro

canyonphile
12-15-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi all,

Got the invite for this group and just finished signin' up!

My name is Sonya (or "SJ" as I go by) and I live in Prescott, AZ. I'm 39, and self-employed in the medical profession.

Outdoor interests include primarily backpacking, hiking and trail running, but I also enjoy snowshoeing in the winter, and the occasional boating trip on Lake Powell, when time/finances permit. I'd love to learn some technical climbing skills and to kayak.

Most of my extensive backcountry experience involves the Grand Canyon, and I have hiked/backpacked just about all the named trails, but I love southern Utah and want to spend more time exploring the area, particularly Escalante and more time in Zion.

Favorite places in Utah: Zion, of course....esp. the Narrows and the east rim trail. Also love L. Powell.

I could probably be described as an obsessive canyon freak :nod: and geology aficianado. I spend much of my time thinking and planning future trips. And, thanks to my trusty '98 Wrangler, I'm not too limited by where I can go :2thumbs:

Thanks to whomever started this list and invited me :rockon:

SJ

<--avatar is of me along the Hermit trail in GCNP on Thanksgiving of this year

hesse15
12-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi all,

Got the invite for this group and just finished signin' up!

My name is Sonya (or "SJ" as I go by) and I live in Prescott, AZ. I'm 39, and self-employed in the medical profession.

Outdoor interests include primarily backpacking, hiking and trail running, but I also enjoy snowshoeing in the winter, and the occasional boating trip on Lake Powell, when time/finances permit. I'd love to learn some technical climbing skills and to kayak.

Most of my extensive backcountry experience involves the Grand Canyon, and I have hiked/backpacked just about all the named trails, but I love southern Utah and want to spend more time exploring the area, particularly Escalante and more time in Zion.

Favorite places in Utah: Zion, of course....esp. the Narrows and the east rim trail. Also love L. Powell.

I could probably be described as an obsessive canyon freak :nod: and geology aficianado. I spend much of my time thinking and planning future trips. And, thanks to my trusty '98 Wrangler, I'm not too limited by where I can go :2thumbs:

Thanks to whomever started this list and invited me :rockon:

SJ

<--avatar is of me along the Hermit trail in GCNP on Thanksgiving of this year

hi sonya welcome on board
we need more girl to give some hard time to those old rooster guys
I like zion a lot too
as soon is getting over the freezing lets organize some trips over there
by the way I am Cristina the one in my underwear in the avatar

Iceaxe
12-16-2005, 07:44 AM
those old rooster guys

Hey.... I resemble that remark!

Welcome to the club Sonya :friday:

accadacca
12-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Hi Sonya. Welcome to uutah.com. There are some other Jeep lovers on here. eclipsee_steering

Sombeech
12-16-2005, 03:51 PM
thanks to my trusty '98 Wrangler, I'm not too limited by where I can go :2thumbs:

Ain't that the truth? Welcome to the site! I am Jeep lover myself, owning 2 prior. At the moment, I am "between Jeeps". :sad:

You'll have to tell us more about some Jeepin' stuff you've done in the 4X4 section!

Iceaxe
12-16-2005, 03:56 PM
I am Jeep lover myself

The two happiest days in a Jeep owners life....

The day they buy it and the day they sell it. :roflol:

canyonphile
12-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the welcome to the forum - hard to go wrong with a bunch of folks who like to run around and play with rocks, water, dirt and in big and little ditches, eh? :crazy:

I'm glad to see there are some other Jeep owners here - I've only had mine for not quite a year and a half (it replaced the POS Chevy Blazer I had that decided to go tits-up on me while I was on my way to work in Cottonwood....that's another story for another time), and it has performed admirably in the limited situations where I've taken it over dicey roads. Did worse roads in the Blazer, actually, and am in retrospect amazed it didn't give out then.

But....I got it so I can go to remote areas that most of humanity has no interest in seeing anyway. Thus far, it's served me well - had to replace the alternator and battery recently, but that's about it so far. It really, really, really needs a bath right now too. Sigh....

At any rate, it's nice to be around what appears to be a fun, laid-back group. Is it okay to pick on Mormons here? :mwink:

:cheers: ,

Sonya

BTTAndy
12-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Sonya,
I had to welcome a Jeeper. I have a 92 Cherokee Laredo that i basically live out of. I have enough rack space to hold seven bikes. Its mechanically sound but looks like a hoopty.
Keep hiking and stuff. Oh yea, they love it when you make fun of em'. They can also dish it out.

Sombeech
12-16-2005, 09:37 PM
At any rate, it's nice to be around what appears to be a fun, laid-back group. Is it okay to pick on Mormons here? :mwink:

True, this is a laid back group. There's many a Mormon here, but jokes are always laughed at. Joking around is welcome, from Jew or Gentile :haha: Take the Jeff Foxworthy Mormon thread in the Jokes section for instance:
http://uutah.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25

But like any club, sect, or religion, you'll always have somebody in the crowd take something the wrong way. :cry1: But as long as there are no trolls, or outright insults, I think you'll be fine.

I actually think the Mormons create more jokes about themselves than anybody else.

canyonphile
12-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Gentile :haha: Take the Jeff Foxworthy Mormon thread in the Jokes section for instance:
http://uutah.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25

I came across that yesterday and it cracked me up - that's what prompted me to ask. I shared it with my roommate, who became Mormon after marrying one. She's now in Ft. Leavenworth prison and he is not a practicing Mormon anymore.

But like any club, sect, or religion, you'll always have somebody in the crowd take something the wrong way. :cry1: But as long as there are no trolls, or outright insults, I think you'll be fine.
Oh, I am not into attacking or insulting anyone's beliefs or religion...even those that I disagree with (except when someone trys to tell me that my belief system is wrong...then all bets are off). But, I've teased some LDS friends about the things that Foxworthy mentions and it's all in good fun. I will say that those kids that come door-to-door doing missionary work (I guess?) have always been polite when I politely tell them I'm not interested in hearing about the LDS religion.

I actually think the Mormons create more jokes about themselves than anybody else.
Heh. That's probably true. And, I will be the first one to laugh at myself, so if I can dish it out, I certainly gotta be able to take it! :haha:

Sonya

Sombeech
12-18-2005, 11:39 PM
She's now in Ft. Leavenworth prison and he is not a practicing Mormon anymore.

OUCH! Is there a good story there? :popcorn:

Iceaxe
12-19-2005, 06:48 AM
:popcorn:

david staub
12-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Welcome SJ;

You come from a gorgeous state. The Havasupai is one of my favorite places in the world. I plan on being cremated and having my ashes spread there. My children plan on cremating me and spreading my ashes around the house so that my wife can pick up after me one last time.

Do you know the difference between a good Mormon and a bad Mormon? The temperature of their caffiene.

This from a church going, Diet Pepsi drinking boy.

canyonphile
12-19-2005, 07:36 PM
OUCH! Is there a good story there? :popcorn:
Indeed. Darin [current roommate...we dated for a while, but now are good friends] is a Marine [OOH RA!] - former Staff/platoon Sgt in Delta Co. recon, so he's one of those uuber bad-ass Marines :cool2: . He is a veteran of the 1st gulf war. He met and married this woman who was also in the Marines - he met her in Okinawa. Because she was LDS, he agreed to convert to LDS as well. He was well-embraced by the church, and ended up moving up in the ranks (he showed me a certificate that he was an Aaronic(?) priest or something? I don't remember, and it's not something he really likes to talk about). He probably wouldn't be thrilled that I'm sharing this info, as he still gets letters from the church to come back.

He was overseas doing special ops in Bangkok when some dudes in suits came down in a helicopter and asked if he was aware of the activities his wife was engaged in. Of course, he had no idea. Turns out, his wife was having a great time using both his credit cards *and* the govt. credit cards to buy all sorts of stuff for herself and her girlfriends (why she thought she could get away with this is anyone's guess...), to the tune of about $300K. To make a long story short, Darin's military career was ended, his wife was sent to Ft. Leavenworth, and his life was essentially ruined for a while (bankruptcy - he lost his house in 29 Palms, his truck, all of his stuff thanks to her nefarious activities.). Oh yeah - I forgot to mention she was sleeping with all his friends while he was out of the country as well....

He tells me this on our first date. :dropmouth: I looked at him and said: "I'm amazed you aren't gay after that experience." And it also made my rinky-dink failed marriage look trite in comparison. :doh:

So, the ex-wife is in the military pen for 15 yrs., I think, and when she comes out, the feds will be waiting to put her in the federal pen.
:angryfire:

That's basically the cliff notes version of the story. Darin is a great guy and at least all that junk is behind him now.

Here's to Darin - :cheers: - for serving this country and being a good friend!

-SJ

canyonphile
12-19-2005, 07:40 PM
having my ashes spread there. My children plan on cremating me and spreading my ashes around the house so that my wife can pick up after me one last time.

:lol8:

But, you're right: Havaspai is one of the most stunning places on earth, IMO. I've only been there once, but I definitely want to go back, 'cos it

:guitar: :rockon: :rockit:

And all that....

-SJ

Iceaxe
12-19-2005, 07:52 PM
she was sleeping with all his friends while he was out of the country as well....

Wow... sad story... AAAaaaa.... you don't happen to have her phone number do you???? :roflol:

canyonphile
12-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Wow... sad story... AAAaaaa.... you don't happen to have her phone number do you???? :roflol:
I'm not sure what cell block she's in over at Ft. Leavenworth, but you could find it by doing a Google search :mwink:. But, I'm bettin' that they don't allow for conjugal visits over there. :hitit:

SJ