PDA

View Full Version : Arch Database

Iceaxe
12-10-2005, 09:41 PM
I bought the Stone Canyon database containing all the worlds arches:
http://www.stonecanyonadventures.com/AANPAbout.htm

The program contains a fantastic wealth of information and is well worth the coin just for the database. Biggest problem with the program is it is extremely amateur. Its put together like some 16 y/o kids basement website. But all the arches contain a picture, location, lat/lon, history....

I'm still playing with the program but to really make it worth while you also need good mapping software, the know-how to use it and lots of spare time.

But if you heard of an obscure arch and want to know where it is this is your program.

Ice

Iceaxe
12-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Below are some questions I answered in anther forum that I thought I would also post here....

***Awesome! Does it really have "all" of them?***

Nope, I know of a bunch of arches and bridges that are not recorded. But they give you the information on how to record them and send them in. Best of all you get to name the unrecorded arches you send in.

***Like all the Zion arches?***

The database contains a fantastic amount of info, but it does not contain everything. But it does contain almost everything that you would consider worth hiking to in Utah. So far I have mostly been messing with the Arches NP database, which coatians more then 2000 entries just for the park.

One problem I am finding is the database contains almost TO MANY entry's. To be an arch you must be able to pass a 3' disk through the opening. So every little crack in the rock is entered as an arch. Fortunately one of the search options lets you eliminate openings of less then whatever you enter.

I'm still just learning to mess around with the program. The database is outstanding, the program that interfaces with the database is very poor. But for the amount of info available in the database I consider it a very inexpensive program. Since the entire program is based on HTML and each arch is registered as its own HTML page I might try writing my own HTML based searchable interface.

Folks who think they are getting ripped off by spending $25 for a guidebook or website access will consider the Arch database a rip-off also. Folks who appreciate what an actual bargain an accurate database is will really appreciate the arch program, even with its many flaws. YMMV....

Ice

:rockon:

Brewhaha
10-28-2006, 11:08 PM
I have to concur. The databases (Arches and World), despite their failings, are well worth the money. Arch-hunting has become one of my family's favorite pasttimes. We decided that since our county has nearly 400 arches, it seemed like a good hobby to take up.

rockgremlin
10-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Yup, we live in a great county, eh? :2thumbs:

Welcome to UUtah!

Iceaxe
10-29-2006, 08:22 AM
I have found one little trick that really helps me use the Arch database. I exported all the GPS waypoints out of the Arch database and imported them into my mapping program called Topo! Utah. I can use the map inside Topo to see where every recorded arch is located with just a quick glance. I have set up a separate map for each state I visit.

I'm sure you could do the same thing with any descent mapping program.

And welcome to the forum :2thumbs:

:popcorn:

Brewhaha
10-29-2006, 11:58 AM
That's exactly what I did. I've got POI files for San Juan County Arches, Grand County Arches, Arizona Arches, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that there are some wonderful arches near Grand Junction that I hope to visit at some point.

A quick question: I'm trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle and it appears to me that you, IceAxe, are the Shane from Climb-Utah? Is that right?

Iceaxe
10-29-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle and it appears to me that you, IceAxe, are the Shane from Climb-Utah? Is that right?

:2thumbs:

tanya
10-29-2006, 07:45 PM
I have to concur. The databases (Arches and World), despite their failings, are well worth the money. Arch-hunting has become one of my family's favorite pasttimes. We decided that since our county has nearly 400 arches, it seemed like a good hobby to take up.

Welcome to the group! What arches have you found in the Zion and GSENM area? :fishing:

Brewhaha
10-30-2006, 09:27 AM
We haven't made it West of San Juan County yet. There is still so much to explore here. We've explored Grand Gulch, Canyonlands, and South of Moab. I drool over the number of arches in GS and hope to start visiting some of the soon.

tanya
10-30-2006, 09:59 AM
We haven't made it West of San Juan County yet. There is still so much to explore here. We've explored Grand Gulch, Canyonlands, and South of Moab. I drool over the number of arches in GS and hope to start visiting some of the soon.

Let me know when you do. Here is what I have for Zion. Does anyone know of more?

Kolob Arch, two along the Bridge Mountain Trail, Two Pines Arch, Hidden Canyon Arch, Jug Handle Arch, Checkerboard Arch, Hidden Arch and Pico Rosado Arch . There are also some arches in the slot canyons including: The Subway, Fat Man's Misery, Spry Canyon, Pine Creek Canyon, Englestead Hollow, Imlay Canyon, Heaps Canyon and Eye of the Needle. Remote area include arches such as Hammerhead Arch and Elephant Arch.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zgeology3.htm

Alex
10-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Not sure if this is related to the thread, but I was just goofing on Google Earth and found the following:

Delicate Arch: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=38.74362,-109.499166&spn=0.003075,0.004973&t=h&om=1

Corona Arch:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1&z=18&ll=38.580044,-109.619823&spn=0.003082,0.004973&t=h

Brewhaha
10-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Okay, here are some great sites for the arch hunters out there.

Later tonight when I get home I will post some pictures of the World Arch Database coupled with NG Topo to give everyone an idea of just how many of these natural beauties there are in Utah.

For now, check these sites out:

http://www.utaharches.com/index.html
http://users.sisna.com/archman/index.html
http://www.naturalarches.org/
http://www.stonecanyonadventures.com/wadabout.htm

This is actually a sublink on the NABS site but it specifically mentions the NEW 200+ arch that was written up at summitpost http://www.naturalarches.org/big9.htm.

Brewhaha
10-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Here is my first attempt in attaching an image.

This is an image of the locations of all of the arches in the southern half of Arches National Park. The locations come from the Arches NP Database from Stone Canyon (mentioned above). I imported the locations in National Geographic Utah State Topo!

To qualify as an arch the formation has to be 3 feet wide at some point so many of these formations are unexciting. Nevertheless, it is amazing to realize how many arches are being missed by the visitors to the park.

Brewhaha
10-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Okay, it looks like the image attachment worked, so here are some more. These are maps showing the arches in following areas:

1) San Juan County/Grand Gulch/Navajo Reservation
2) Moab (minus ANP) and SRR
3) GSEMN Area
4) Northern Half of Arches NP

Scott P
10-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Anyone know a list of arches in Dinosaur National Monument? I know several of many sizes, but have never seen a list (I have only ever reported two). Is it on the database?

Brewhaha
10-30-2006, 04:55 PM
One more: All Utah except Arches NP

Brewhaha
10-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Here is what I've found in the database for arches in Dinosaur NM. All the arches are on the Colorado side. Two are unnamed (so you may be able to name them). One (Outlaw Arch) is huge, very hard to get to, and very recently "discovered".

Info about Outlaw Arch can be found at summitpost or here:

http://www.naturalarches.org/big9.htm

The pictures (except for Outlaw) are all from the DB.

stefan
10-30-2006, 06:20 PM
and you know, the man who discovered/named outlaw arch frequents this forum too

... mr patterson

but i am sure you realized that.

welcome to the forum by the way :gents:

Brewhaha
10-30-2006, 08:15 PM
I, in fact, did not know that Mr. Patterson was "that" Mr. Patterson. Where is the emoticon for "Boy, do I feel stupid!"

I think it says something good about Scott's personality that he didn't immediately respond to my post with something like "duh" or "uh, yeah, I already know about Outlaw".

Congratulations to him and a heartfelt :hail2thechief: .

asdf
10-31-2006, 05:54 AM
What is the name of the arch thats east of provo on the map "All Utah Re.jpg"?

Udink
10-31-2006, 06:22 AM
What is the name of the arch thats east of provo on the map "All Utah Re.jpg"?
Looks to me like Diamond Fork Arch:

http://users.sisna.com/archman/DiamondFork.html

Scott P
10-31-2006, 06:39 AM
I've been to all those arches except the last one of the photos you posted. Which one is that by chance?

The one with the Wagoneer in front of it is Whispering Cave. I can't say I knew it was an arch (unless there is another one visible in the photo). Definately many more arches in Dinosaur National Monument (mostly small) aren't on the map. I guess I can start keeping track of them and send them to you. Here is another on in Dinosaur, but I already sent this one in:

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/231054.jpg

I have seen other ones scattered throughout the area (Buckwater Draw, Carcass Canyon, etc), but they are all fairly small. Here is an example. What we call Carcass Canyon has the one below (notice the rope in the pic):

http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/240091.jpg

I see they have the locally famous Rifle Arch marked on the map (near Rifle CO), but if you are curious, there's another locally famous arch near Meeker on the same highway. Unfortunately, it's on private land, but luckily can be seen easily from the highway.

The closest arch to Salt Lake City (that I know of) is the one in Mountain Dell Canyon (Storm Window is closer for some people in SLC). Used to be a nice hike, but I heard the trail is overgrown now.

Win
10-31-2006, 07:37 AM
Here's a couple of my favorite, out of the way arches. I have no idea if these have names.

This one is in the Babylon area of Leeds, just above the Virgin River. High enough to ride a horse thru.

http://www.fototime.com/EA2C01E419639ED/standard.jpg

This one is in Tanyaland, off Hancock Rd, by Coral Pink Dand Dunes:

http://www.fototime.com/F2F63D0E3C8B111/standard.jpg

I really enjoy all the arch pictures, thanks.

Win

Brewhaha
10-31-2006, 08:50 AM
If you have arches and would like to get them into the World Arch Database you can send your information to the folks at this site:

http://www.stonecanyonadventures.com/

Scott P
10-31-2006, 09:00 AM
If you have arches and would like to get them into the World Arch Database you can send your information to the folks at this site:

How big would they have to be? I assume anything under 20-30 feet, is "just a window"?

Brewhaha
10-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Actually, they are collecting data on anything 3 ft and bigger. Although these types of formations might not be spectacular they are still considered to be arches or bridges and should be documented.

The database tries to include for every one of these arches GPS coordinates, a picture, a general description of location, and other information such as history, discoverer, best time to photograph the arch, and its photograph potential.

However, the creators of the database will accept and include as much or as little information as you have and try and fill in the blanks later.

tanya
10-31-2006, 11:07 AM

Win

Where!?!?!?!?!?! :popcorn: Exact directions please! :nod:

Win
10-31-2006, 12:14 PM
Tanya, I think it's .8 of a mile off 89 on the right side. You'll see this formation and it's about 300 ft behind it.

http://www.fototime.com/E35BC63816730CA/standard.jpg

I'll be out there on Sunday with the 4WD club from Kanab and try to get you the Lat/Lon. The fellow in the arch picture is my best friend from NJ. He went down the hill to pee and found the arch. I later told a ranger at
Coral Pink about it and he'd never heard of it. He later thanked me and had last years Christmas card with his family taken there. Pretty cool.

I might need to register it and call it McNally's Arch after my friend! :eek2:

Win

tanya
10-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Yes! You found it, name it. Keep the pee part out of it though! I would love the coordinates! :five:

Scott P
10-31-2006, 02:02 PM
I might need to register it and call it McNally's Arch after my friend!

If you are curious, now days, it is considered very bad practice to name any geographic feature after a person until they are deceased. Names for the living are not accepted by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, but I assume the Arch data base might not follow this rule and probably isn't as strict?

PS, looks like a cool arch. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
10-31-2006, 02:22 PM
but I assume the Arch data base might not follow this rule and probably isn't as strict?

Best as I can tell the arch database in managed by a group of arch enthusiasts for their enjoyment/amusment. They don't seem to be hung up on many of the naming rules that accompany other sports/hobbies/USGS/yada yada...... I find it a refreshing approach.

Anyhoo..... whenever I submit an arch or bridge to the NBAS I include any known name or any name my group has been using. To date they have always included the names I have presented in their database.

The NBAS currently have two arches in their database that include my kids nicknames..... the kids love it.... and I could really careless if it's considered bad form by some government organization.... YMMV.

Maybe I will name my next major discovery "Ice's Big Ol' Frickin' Arch" :lol8:

:popcorn:

tanya
10-31-2006, 02:36 PM
I might need to register it and call it McNally's Arch after my friend!

If you are curious, now days, it is considered very bad practice to name any geographic feature after a person until they are deceased. Names for the living are not accepted by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, but I assume the Arch data base might not follow this rule and probably isn't as strict?

PS, looks like a cool arch. :2thumbs:

I've never liked naming things in nature after a person. I like the name to reflect the area. Old-timers came up with great names - if you can find what the locals call it. There is this cool arch at the Wave and a woman named it after herself. Its sort of okay though since her name is Melody. I thought it was named for the wind blowing through it or something until it was pointed out to me it was the woman who found it.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/images/wave_melody_c_jpg.jpg

Scott P
10-31-2006, 03:03 PM
I've never liked naming things in nature after a person. I like the name to reflect the area. Old-timers came up with great names - if you can find what the locals call it. There is this cool arch at the Wave and a woman named it after herself. Its sort of okay though since her name is Melody.

I tend to agree. Sometimes someone

Win
10-31-2006, 04:45 PM
I like the idea of naming natural features after the area. I know my friend could care less about an arch named after him.

What about an official Forum arch. This one is close to the hiway and easily accesible. People can go by when they're in the area and take a picture with it.

I say we adopt it and have a naming contest. I'll even donate a
prize.

Your thoughts.

Win

Brewhaha
10-31-2006, 05:29 PM
I would definitely encourage anyone who knows about these wonderful arches to submit the information to the world arch database. The database is to some arch hunters what climb-utah is to some canyoneers.

When we first got the database we were amazed at how many arches there were in our area that we didn't know about. I am quickly coming to realize that there are many, many more out there that are undocumented. I would love to be able to visit some of your favorites.

Here is are pictures of the first two arches we found that were completely new to us. They were only about 15 minutes away, too.

tanya
10-31-2006, 05:36 PM
I like the idea of naming natural features after the area. I know my friend could care less about an arch named after him.

What about an official Forum arch. This one is close to the hiway and easily accesible. People can go by when they're in the area and take a picture with it.

prize.

Your thoughts.

Win

Games! I LOVE games. :)!!! (quit laughing everyone --- some of us like to play.... ) :twisted:

I need a bit more info. Its at the dunes or close? What is it on or near? Can you point to it on a map! :five:

tanya
10-31-2006, 05:38 PM
I would definitely encourage anyone who knows about these wonderful arches to submit the information to the world arch database. The database is to some arch hunters what climb-utah is to some canyoneers.

When we first got the database we were amazed at how many arches there were in our area that we didn't know about. I am quickly coming to realize that there are many, many more out there that are undocumented. I would love to be able to visit some of your favorites.

Here is are pictures of the first two arches we found that were completely new to us. They were only about 15 minutes away, too.

What awesome arches!!!! --- Yeah... Shane is Mr. Canyoneer --- that's because he is so agreeable and colorful. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
11-01-2006, 07:20 AM
When I name things like arches or climbing/canyoneering routes it usually has some meaning related to the discovery of the item, or events leading to the discovery or something that happened related to the trip or......

But just about everything I have ever named has a good story to go along with the name.

Often I poll the group I'm with for good names..... usually someone has a great suggestion.

:rockon:

Scott P
11-01-2006, 08:23 AM
When I name things like arches or climbing/canyoneering routes it usually has some meaning related to the discovery of the item, or events leading to the discovery or something that happened related to the trip or......

Yes, that's much different then just tagging someone's name on it.
:2thumbs:

KillEmAll
11-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Call it uutah.com arch. It sounds natural right? :haha:

tanya
01-28-2007, 03:16 PM

Win

Where!?!?!?!?!?! :popcorn: Exact directions please! :nod:

Went to the arch today! I love it! Thanks Win! :rockon: Have a name yet?

DiscGo
01-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Here is a list of waypoints for the Utah Arches. I downloaded this attachment from wayhoo.com

tanya
01-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Here is a list of waypoints for the Utah Arches. I downloaded this attachment from wayhoo.com

Awesome! I will go through that and see if I have missed any in my area!

tanya
01-28-2007, 08:15 PM
[quote=Win]I like the idea of naming natural features after the area. I know my friend could care less about an arch named after him.

prize.

Your thoughts.

Win

I would say .. just...

Coral Pink Arch or Coral Pink Sand Dunes Arch? It's probably the only one out there.

stefan
01-28-2007, 08:24 PM
[quote=Win]I like the idea of naming natural features after the area. I know my friend could care less about an arch named after him.

prize.

Your thoughts.

Win

I would say .. just...

Coral Pink Arch or Coral Pink Sand Dunes Arch? It's probably the only one out there.

or perhaps Coral Arch ... if you want to just wanna go simple

tanya
02-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Kane County Arches....

Has anyone been to any of these and can give some info?

Bement Arch
Blue Pools Arch
Broken Bow Arch
Cliff Arch
Coyote Natural Bridge
Gregory Natural Bridge
Jacob Hamblin Arch
LaGorce Arch
Picturesque Windows
Sam Pollock Arch
Skylight Arch
Starlight Arch
Stevens Arch
Sunset Natural Arch
Sunset Natural Bridge
Wahweap Window
Window Wind Arch
Woolsey Arch
Zane Greg Arch

http://www.hometownlocator.com/DisplayCountyFeatures.cfm?FeatureType=arch&SCFIPS=49025

stefan
02-19-2007, 08:08 PM
well you can get coyote natural bridge, jacob hamblin arch and stevens arch (and i think cliff arch too, which should be aka jug handle?) if you cruise down coyote gulch. super popular but sublime canyon. stevens arch is in the south wall of stevens canyon, the mouth of which is just up the escalante from coyote gulch. you can see stevens arch from on to of the north wall at the mouth of coyote gulch. coyote gulch is a MUST-DO. just try not to go when everyone and their mother are there

broken bow is in willow gulch, gregory, bement and lagorce are in davis gulch, sunset arch and natural bridge are in fortymile gulch, all of which which are canyons accessible at the distant end of the hole-in-the-rock road.

sam pollock is in a tributary of hackberry cyn

zane greg arch is in explorer canyon, which is hard to get to unless you're boating

by the way, this link might be helpful if you don't know about it

http://www.topozone.com/states/Utah.asp?feature=Arch

tanya
02-19-2007, 08:10 PM
well you can get coyote natural bridge, jacob hamblin arch and stevens arch (and i think cliff arch too, which should be aka jug handle?) if you cruise down coyote gulch. super popular but sublime canyon. stevens arch is in the south wall of stevens canyon, the mouth of which is just up the escalante from coyote gulch. you can see stevens arch from on to of the north wall at the mouth of coyote gulch. coyote gulch is a MUST-DO. just try not to go when everyone and their mother are there

broken bow is in willow gulch, gregory, bement and lagorce are in davis gulch, sunset arch and natural bridge are in fortymile gulch, all of which which are canyons accessible at the distant end of the hole-in-the-rock road.

sam pollock is in a tributary of hackberry cyn

zane greg arch is in explorer canyon, which is hard to get to unless you're boating

by the way, this link might be helpful if you don't know about it

http://www.topozone.com/states/Utah.asp?feature=Arch

Thank's Stefan :2thumbs:

Scott P
02-20-2007, 07:08 AM
I've been to the following:

Cliff Arch
Coyote Natural Bridge
Jacob Hamblin Arch
Sam Pollock Arch
Starlight Arch
Stevens Arch
Woolsey Arch

I may have been to some of the others without knowing the name.

Anyway, Stevens, Cliff, Coyote NB, Jacob Hamblin can be seen from Coyote Gulch hike as pointed out. Woolsey is an easy hike to the head of Rock Creek in the Powell area. Sam Pollock is in a side canyon of Hackberry Canyon. Starlight Arch is access from the Paria Movie set and then climbing the mesa. All mentioned are easy hikes.

Haven't been, but I know Bement Arch and La Gorce are in Davis Gulch. Broken Bow is in Wilow Creek. See Kelsey's book for info on those hikes.

erial
02-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Access to Starlight arch can be had near the Paria Movie Set site.

If you go up Hackberry to visit Sam Pollock Arch you can make a loop of it by heading west to pick up a well defined trail that will take you back south towards Yellow Rock. A connector trail would take you across Yellow Rock and then back down to your starting point.

Iceaxe
02-20-2007, 07:47 AM
I've been to LaGorce Arch. When Lake Powell is at full pool you boat right up to it. It's really popular with boaters and usually has a small crowd.

tanya
02-20-2007, 08:24 AM
I've been to the following:

Cliff Arch
Coyote Natural Bridge
Jacob Hamblin Arch
Sam Pollock Arch
Starlight Arch
Stevens Arch
Woolsey Arch

I may have been to some of the others without knowing the name.

Anyway, Stevens, Cliff, Coyote NB, Jacob Hamblin can be seen from Coyote Gulch hike as pointed out. Woolsey is an easy hike to the head of Rock Creek in the Powell area. Sam Pollock is in a side canyon of Hackberry Canyon. Starlight Arch is access from the Paria Movie set and then climbing the mesa. All mentioned are easy hikes.

Haven't been, but I know Bement Arch and La Gorce are in Davis Gulch. Broken Bow is in Wilow Creek. See Kelsey's book for info on those hikes.

The now burnt down Paria Movie Set! Those are now all on my short to do list! :five:

tanya
02-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Access to Starlight arch can be had near the Paria Movie Set site.

If you go up Hackberry to visit Sam Pollock Arch you can make a loop of it by heading west to pick up a well defined trail that will take you back south towards Yellow Rock. A connector trail would take you across Yellow Rock and then back down to your starting point.

I think I will wait until the water warms up though. I want no part of crossing that water out there again this winter! You are amazing Jeff! You live so far away and it seems you have hit everything!

tanya
02-20-2007, 08:27 AM
I've been to LaGorce Arch. When Lake Powell is at full pool you boat right up to it. It's really popular with boaters and usually has a small crowd.

That is in Kane County?

Iceaxe
02-20-2007, 08:45 AM
That is in Kane County?

How would I know.... it was your list :haha:

tanya
02-20-2007, 08:51 AM
That is in Kane County?

How would I know.... it was your list :haha:

But I thought you know everything. :haha:

northernoutpost
02-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Bement Arch is quite nice, but is best visited by doing Davis Gulch from the top down, otherwise, you get to do the bushwack twice, and miss the slot! The whole trip took me about 7 hours (down Davis to the exit trail).

stefan
02-20-2007, 11:12 AM

That is in Kane County?

yup, tanya, kane county actuall extends into the middle of the escalante/lake so since lagorce is on that side of the line, then yes it's right at the edge of the county

tanya
02-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Bement Arch is quite nice, but is best visited by doing Davis Gulch from the top down, otherwise, you get to do the bushwack twice, and miss the slot! The whole trip took me about 7 hours (down Davis to the exit trail).

Have you done a lot of exploring in that area?

tanya
02-20-2007, 04:25 PM

That is in Kane County?

yup, tanya, kane county actuall extends into the middle of the escalante/lake so since lagorce is on that side of the line, then yes it's right at the edge of the county

So..... you moved away since you have explored this whole area .. right? :lol8:

northernoutpost
02-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Tanya,

By a lot, well, maybe for a Vancouverite, but I don't imagine it's very much from a Utah standpoint. Davis, Fiftymile (which has a fairly large cliff-top arch and really beautiful narrows at low pool, BTW), Fortymile, Coyote-Dry Fork system a few times, even kicked around the upper part of Bishop a few years ago. Llewelyn and maybe Navajo Point are on my list for the next trip, if my car doesn't fall apart. I really like the Escalante west side country-beautiful lush canyons and big overhangs are two things I can never see too many of :blahblah: .

tanya
02-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Tanya,

By a lot, well, maybe for a Vancouverite, but I don't imagine it's very much from a Utah standpoint. Davis, Fiftymile (which has a fairly large cliff-top arch and really beautiful narrows at low pool, BTW), Fortymile, Coyote-Dry Fork system a few times, even kicked around the upper part of Bishop a few years ago. Llewelyn and maybe Navajo Point are on my list for the next trip, if my car doesn't fall apart. I really like the Escalante west side country-beautiful lush canyons and big overhangs are two things I can never see too many of :blahblah: .

It amazes me how people that live so far away have gone to the little out of the way places. Have you hiked in other places in Utah as well?

erial
02-20-2007, 06:32 PM
I think I will wait until the water warms up though. I want no part of crossing that water out there again this winter! You are amazing Jeff! You live so far away and it seems you have hit everything![/color][/quote]

I hope the hits keep on coming, though I wasn't aware that the movie set itself took a hit. Was it vandalism or lightning?

tanya
02-20-2007, 08:22 PM
I hope the hits keep on coming, though I wasn't aware that the movie set itself took a hit. Was it vandalism or lightning?

Sadly, it was vandalism. :ne_nau: Last I heard, they are not rebuilding this time.

northernoutpost
02-21-2007, 07:46 AM
[quote=northernoutpost]Tanya,

It amazes me how people that live so far away have gone to the little out of the way places. Have you hiked in other places in Utah as well?

Lots of places, including a bunch of trips outside the canyon country. I think the Roost is the one area I haven't done much in. I always make a point of getting down at least for a few weeks every year, for the last 20 years or so. Not enough time, though-my list of places to go grows faster than I can deal with in one lifetime.

Cirrus2000 on this site lives up here as well and he's already got 3 trips planned for this year. We love Vancouver, but there's something about Utah (and northern Arizona) that is pretty special. :cool2:

tanya
02-21-2007, 07:59 AM

Lots of places, including a bunch of trips outside the canyon country. I think the Roost is the one area I haven't done much in. I always make a point of getting down at least for a few weeks every year, for the last 20 years or so. Not enough time, though-my list of places to go grows faster than I can deal with in one lifetime.

Cirrus2000 on this site lives up here as well and he's already got 3 trips planned for this year. We love Vancouver, but there's something about Utah (and northern Arizona) that is pretty special. :cool2:

Are you in those photos he posted of his recent Zion National Park trip?

northernoutpost
02-21-2007, 08:45 AM

Are you in those photos he posted of his recent Zion National Park trip?

No. Haven't done a trip with him yet, although I've threatened to introduce him to northwest canyoneering a few times!

I think my catclaw-scarred visage is somewhere is this TR, though. One I intended to post here, although it's on the other side of the stateline.

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18913