PDA

View Full Version : You know it's cold when...

icthys
12-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Last night it was -15 in Coalville, the night before it was -12. My wife claims I'm an Eskimo because I prefer cooler weather over HOT weather, but getting in the negative teens is COLD, I don't care who you are!

So, besides my berries freezing and falling off here's a little list of how I knew it was beyond cold.

I was able to open the car door, only because it wasn't already wet. The emergency brake was frozen though, I had to rock the car back and forth to get it loose. I couldn't get the car into gear, they were froze also. I solved that by rolling the car down the driveway and punching it into gear.

My saucy breath froze my flavor savor in the time it took to get the car started.

And to top it off. The dog's water froze in the electric water dish.

accadacca
12-08-2005, 11:03 AM
:eek2: Now that COLD!!! :cold: I bet your car was slow crankin'?

Shan
12-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I thought my steering wheel froze on the Jeep.

But alas all the power steering fluid drained on the the cement!

TreeHugger
12-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Ahhhh, I love it! This weather is nothing compared to Michigan... the dry air makes 20 degrees feel like 35, to me... and the wind chill is completely tolerable. Plus, the really cold stretches only last a week or so, very nice. OH, yeah, and I cant forget to mention the sun, sun sunshiney sun!! You can go weeks and weeks without seeing the sun in MI!!
In Michigan, it was most often in the teens and single digits, with a windchill placing the temps many degrees below zero... plus the humidity gets the chill into your bones and it's soooo hard to feel warm.

The winters here are one of the best reasons to live in SLC!! :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
12-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Ya, she's got a good point. Complaining about the cold here is like the folks in Boston and Philly complaining when they get like 3 inches of snow. It's funny. CNN will report road and school closures back east when they get anything over 2 inches of snow. :roflol:

Windwalker
12-10-2005, 07:22 PM
And to top it off. The dog's water froze in the electric water dish.

Same thing happened to my dogs electric water-dish! It's never happened in the three winters that I've been using it. :cold:

greyhair biker
12-12-2005, 04:53 AM
being on graves all week I've had to plug the block heater in on the jeep AND plug in a space heater in the cab just so it would start....-17 out at the mine site at 6am is just rude! THEN, I was also thinking , 'it's 6am...over on Maui its 2am and still about 72 degrees...in a few hours it will be 80....now, what's more cruel!

rockgremlin
12-12-2005, 09:28 AM
being on graves all week I've had to plug the block heater in on the jeep AND plug in a space heater in the cab just so it would start....-17 out at the mine site at 6am is just rude! THEN, I was also thinking , 'it's 6am...over on Maui its 2am and still about 72 degrees...in a few hours it will be 80....now, what's more cruel!

You should plan a trip to Maui with all that $$$ they're payin' ya!! :nod:

david staub
12-12-2005, 02:37 PM
I will never forget the cold of Michigan. TreeHugger, you are absolutely right. One January morning I went out for a run. As I got outside of our subdivision, my heart started pounding. I knew that I was in better shape than that and that something must be wrong. So I turned around and went home. I turned on the television news and heard the newscaster say "do not go outside today. It is 45 degrees below zero." The whole town was shut down for three days. No one dared go outside. I have never seen that kind of cold in Utah and yes, it is nice to see the sun.

Scott P
12-15-2005, 07:04 AM

Iceaxe
12-15-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm going campin' with Scott if I get hot chocolate in bed :nod:

I was doing some mountaineering with a friend. It was really cold, can't feel my fingers or toes, spindrift blowing in all directions, everything coated with veerglas..... and the poor fella I'm climbing with gets diarrhea

Scott P
12-15-2005, 07:49 AM

Iceaxe
12-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Sounds good. Provided you are willing to sleep at over 14,000 feet in mid-January

I think I prefer doing the desert thing in mid-January..... but thanks for the offer....

:numchucks:

Scott P
12-15-2005, 08:43 AM

Iceaxe
12-15-2005, 09:01 AM
Sounds good :2thumbs: