PDA

View Full Version : snow shoeing

david staub
12-07-2005, 12:21 PM
I went snowshoeing for the first time with Varsity Scouts a few years ago. I fell in love with the sport and immediately got my own snowshoes and try to get out every weekend.

For someone suffering from seasonal affected depression (SAD), this has been great to get out of the haze and see the sunlight.

My daypack always consists of some snacks (a mixture of apple, granola, and peanut butter spread on soft tortilla shells) and plenty of water. I always take a first aid kit with a thick magazine, duct tape, and a bandana. If there is a broken or strained limb, the magazine works really well to immobilize the limb and the tape secures the magazine.

My preferred companion on these outings is my black lab. She is a great trail dog. Going alone is never wise.

If anyone is interested, I am putting together a two day snowshoe/backpack trip in the national forest behind Big Springs Park. The goal is to reach the back of Cascade and we will be going December 30-31. We will be back in plenty of time to celebrate the New Year!

Sombeech
12-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the forum, david! Be sure to introduce yourself in the Newbies section.

So, what trails do you go on? I'm looking to do a few this winter, and I'm a beginner.

Where is Big Springs Park at?

Glockguy
12-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Where is Big Springs?

david staub
12-08-2005, 07:15 AM
To get to Big Springs Park, go up Provo Canyon to Vivian Park. Turn into Vivian Park and go up the mountain (drive) 3.3 miles to Big Springs Park. Turn right into the park and follow to the back parking lot. There you find an entrance to the National Forest. The first couple of miles is a very gentle incline. After that it becomes a decent challenge. I was up there one time last year and there was so much snow that I lost the trail (it is only groomed for the first couple of miles).

I have also gone up Norway Flats in the Uintas. That is really cool and occassionally you will run into a moose or two. Fortunately, my dog has been really cool about not wanting to chase the moose (as if a moose would run from a dog). Great area. The only problem is that it is more than an hours drive to get there. Big Springs Park is only about ten minutes from my home.

david staub
12-12-2005, 08:06 AM
I took seven people snowshoeing with me Saturday up the National Forest behind Big Springs Park (Provo Canyon). It was so cold that two people turned back immediately. My nose was cold, but beyond that I was dressed warmly enough to enjoy my trip.

We had a nerdy skinny little 14 year old boy with us that had never been into anything physical. He really took to the snow shoes and was quite upset when we finally turned around (but, we haven't reached the top yet). He ran all the way down and gave me the best work out I have had in a long time.

We saw about two dozen wild turkeys up there. Everyone was wishing for a shotgun. The last time I shot a turkey, it was really upsetting to everyone else in the grocery store.

david staub
01-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know about my big snowshoeing/backpacking trip that I did last weekend.

Last Friday morning I went up to Big Springs Park (Provo Canyon) to get things ready for everyone. A friend of mine and his son (and my dog) did the 1 1/4 mile hike up to the area we had selected for camping. Now, please understand that I now know that I bit off more than I could chew.

I snowshoed up with full pack pulling a sled full of firewood. Once we got there, my friend began digging a snow cave. I snowshoed back down to the parking lot to get another load (now I have done 2 1/2 miles). I hauled up a load of tents and cooking gear. I then dug out spots to set up tents. It was snowing this whole time and it was a wet snow that we don't see very often in Utah. These warmer temperatures did not create the best conditions.

After we finished setting up my tents and building the snow cave, we snowshoed back down to the parking lot (now I have done 5 miles) to go back home. I needed to go back to pick up my son (visiting from California) and my daughter who wanted to do the trip. My daughter had invited a friend of her's to join us who did not prepare very well so I ended up pulling a sled full of her gear. Then I had to go back down to pick up all of the food, since I was cooking dinner for all 25 people who came. So now I had made four trips up to the camp spot pulling sleds full of gear (10 miles).

We had a difficult time getting the fire going because of the rain/snow, but finally got it going and I cooked a dutch oven of chili w/ cornbread, a dutch oven of chicken stew w/ hot rolls, and dutch oven of beef stew w/ hot rolls. However, as dinner was just about ready, my legs turned to rubber and I decided to go to bed.

I managed to get changed into dry clothing and climbed into bed and fell asleep immediately. I was actually warm and dry the entire night. The next morning, most people were so wet and exhausted that they decided to head back home. However, there was a group of stalwarts that wanted to go up the mountain. So, we went up about three more miles before the weather conditions became so severe that wisdom dictated that we head back to our camp spot. Once there, I packed up and pulled a sled down to the parking lot, went back to the camp spot, loaded up my sled again and pulled it down. So, I figure that I managed to do about 18 miles in that two day trip. Unbelievably, the next day I felt good enough to run my dog three miles. So life is good.

You may have heard that there were some snowshoers lost in Provo Canyon (actually Aspen Grove) that same weekend. A lot of people called my home to see if we were safe. Fortunately, it was not us and everyone from our trip survived and celebrated the new year with their families.

I really can't wait to get back up there this weekend. Not an overnighter, just a day trip to see what the conditions are like now.

Iceaxe
01-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the TR. :2thumbs:

accadacca
01-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Nice write up. I wish I would have been there for the dutch oven. You remind me of my Dad. He is a die hard for dutch oven and always cooks for a crowd. Snap a few pictures if you get a chance next time. :five: