PDA

View Full Version : New Canyon!!!

Iceaxe
12-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Just to get the ball rolling and get the lurkers signed up I was thinking of posting a canyon in the Members Only area....

So, what do you think of the idea??? Any requests?

How about a new canyon that almost no one has heard of? How about a canyon that I know of but have never descended? How about one of the Climb-Utah favorite CoF Canyons? How about some beta on a slot that is not yet document (?undescended?)....How about....????

Hmmmm... how to work this to get the biggest bang for the buck. In this case that would mean getting the most newbies signed up.....

:friday:

marc olivares
12-06-2005, 08:13 PM
ok i'll start, being a new posting lurker myself.

i greatly appreciate any beta given on new or other canyons. being relatively new to the sport i can use any info i can get. i've taken an ACA tech class and feel comfortable descending most canyons, my biggest hurdle is not knowing where most of this stuff is.

i've also gotten some info from you site shane, and i trully appreciate the info. i know you seem to take your lumps over beta sharing, but from someone that didnt grow up in the area, it a great service.

ok enough ass kissing, any info would be greatly appreciated.

rockgremlin
12-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Awesome idea Shane! I think anything you listed would work. I would especially be interested in undocumented canyons in the vicinity of Moab.

shaggy125
12-06-2005, 09:43 PM
How about you go back and find that side canyon dropping into face canyon down in Powell, and post the beta for it? (some might not know what I'm talking about, but Shane posted a message about all the canyons around Powell he used to explore in his younger days. Said the best one he found dropped into face canyon, but he can't remember exactly where it was.) I found a picture of the slot in Face and it looked incredible, I can only imagine what a technical side canyon would be like. That or maybe someday I'll have to take you up on your suggestion to bring you along on a trip someday and we can hike around trying to jog your memory. :jump_nutt:

Eric.

PS Free beta is always a good thing, bring it on.

Iceaxe
12-07-2005, 07:20 AM
I would especially be interested in undocumented canyons in the vicinity of Moab.

Funny you should mention that.... I'm planning some more Moab stuff in the very near future. :2thumbs:

accadacca is still working some bugs out of the board. Soon as he gives me the thumbs up I'll post something. Until then give me some ideas about what you want to see posted?

:five:

jumar
12-07-2005, 07:43 AM
I second the Moab vote.

But any canyon beta is good canyon beta :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
12-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Funny you should mention that.... I'm planning some more Moab stuff in the very near future. :2thumbs:

Need a partner? I don't have any marathons planned anytime soon.

Iceaxe
12-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Need a partner? I don't have any marathons planned anytime soon.

The weekend after New Years (7 & 8). Mark it on your calendar. weather permitting.....

By the way... how did you do in the marathon?

Oh yeah... and any guy who can run a marathon automatically volunteers to carry the rope :lol8:

Ice

rockgremlin
12-07-2005, 10:26 AM
I'll post pics of the marathon route. I carried with me a disposable camera and took a few pics of the freaks running up the strip.

I didn't train well at all, so the last 3 miles HURT! I did it in 5 hours, 16 minutes.

It was really cool! Dancing ladies and fireworks at the starting line, and the route went the entire length of the strip, and through Fremont Street. I think I'll do it again next year.

Iceaxe
12-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Hmmm..... been giving this New Canyon deal lots of thought.....

I'm thinking an obscure Zion area canyon that I bet none of you have ever heard of.... Almost nobody knows about this hidden gem. In fact, I forgot all about it until I was yakking with someone about a canyon next door.

Its class C (flowing water), but an easy class 3. It has some hiking, some downclimbing, some hiking, one 80' rappel, did I mention hiking.... its a summer or fall canyon only.... fall would be spectacular.....

And the name of the canyon is...........

Hahaha..... you guys all go invite one newbie to join the group and I'll tell you more...........

...... Film at 11:00.........

Ice

:rockon:

rockgremlin
12-07-2005, 07:49 PM
:haha: :haha: You're gonna have Neil Wilkinson and all the other Zion grand-masters crying for your blood.

Bring it on!!!

Iceaxe
12-08-2005, 07:21 AM
all the other Zion grand-masters crying for your blood.

What's new.... :bootyshake:

Now days the only guy I might call a "Zion Grand Master" would be Kip Marshall. Everyone else is just doing the stuff Kip uncovers. But Kip hasn't even done this little treasure :five:

So drag in some new guys, pull a log up to the fire and I'll tell you the tell about a hidden canyon with clear flowing water......

:2thumbs:

Scott P
12-14-2005, 04:51 PM

rockgremlin
12-14-2005, 05:55 PM
WOW! Thanks a bunch Scott!! I've posted this same question to the yahoo canyons forums before, but only ever got static.