PDA

View Full Version : Garner Cave (North Ogden)

Sombeech
12-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Is it called Garner's Cave, Garner Canyon Cave, or something else? :ne_nau:

I have heard of this cave all throughout High School (Weber High), and also heard of a lot of people doing it back then.

I'm not sure of the name, but I'll point out where I think it is, using Google Earth.

I don't know how it compares to "real" caves mentioned in this forum, it may have just been something to do. I know that people have gotten lost in it though in the past, and weren't found in time, so everybody brings a line of string with them.

Can anybody fill me in?

Here is where I've been told it is, along with the location tool you can use.

caverspencer
12-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Yes thats the right name. Enjoy the long hike for less 500' of Cave, espeicallly this time of year with the snow on the ground.

Sombeech
12-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Yes thats the right name. Enjoy the long hike for less 500' of Cave, espeicallly this time of year with the snow on the ground.

Aww, screw that then.

So, have you done it? Is it really that easy to get lost in it?

caverspencer
12-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Nah you cant really get lost in it. It is not mazy or anything. You could easily slip and get hurt, a good portion of the cave you are stemming the top of a T shaped slot, and getting out of the bottom level of cave is a challenge. If you weigh anyway near 200 lbs or more you probably cant even get down the corkscrew climb It is a fun cave, It is a well known boy scout and you will have fun. Just plan on 1 1/2 -2 hours to get tot he cave and 1 hour back down. The cave it self shouldn't take longer than 1 hour.

Sombeech
12-06-2005, 08:43 PM
If you weigh anyway near 200 lbs or more you probably cant even get down the corkscrew climb.

I suddenly decided this wasn't my type of cave. :bootyshake:

Well, thanks for the info, spencer. I always wondered what that cave was like, and if I was thinking of the right one. I think I'll pass on it for a while (until I get back down to 190)

Mtnman1830
06-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Saw this post, then came across some pics of my trip up to the cave.

We didn't have any ropes with us, so just after the stalagmite (or is it stalagtite?) there is a drop off, we didn't procede.

Purin15
06-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Saw this post, then came across some pics of my trip up to the cave.

We didn't have any ropes with us, so just after the stalagmite (or is it stalagtite?) there is a drop off, we didn't procede.

i have a question me my brother and my dad are looking for garners cave weve gone up garners canyon 2 times now and cant find it we have looked all over the mountaine side and could not find anything could you post a map of how to get to it exactly

Scout Master
06-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Here you go

N 41

jman
07-26-2008, 07:48 PM
so I'm reviving a old post....I just tried those coords and there is nothing there. We even explored the top of the gray cliffs and found a small cave 6" by 3 feet or so and that was it....

any other suggestions?

sportsman
09-17-2008, 01:39 PM
I would like to do this one sometime, just to say i did it....Anyone up for it?

sportsman
11-10-2008, 01:33 PM
[quote=Scout Master]Here you go

N 41

Mtnman1830
11-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Sportsman, I take it that you didn't find it?

sportsman
11-11-2008, 12:17 PM
no, my hiking partner lost interest after searching for a cave enterance for almost an hour thinking the cave and the cache would be right next to each other not 1/4 mile apart.

jman
11-15-2008, 04:40 PM
i wish mountainman would post the CORRECT coords to this cave since he evidently did this (with pics too). It pissed me cause, my 2 friends and my bro searched for about 3 hours for this cave but nothing came up.

Scout Master
11-15-2008, 05:11 PM
I apologize for the incorrect coords I found the Cache back in 04. I remember ropes hanging from the rocks and an old wooden ladder just above the cache. It looks like the cache has been moved since I was there. I looked through some of the logs on the cache page and found these Coords
N41 16.905 W111 56.193
I suggest checking out the Geocaching web page at
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8330ffa8-b0c2-42e9-ab5b-936b2d77152c
read the logs for more details

Mtnman1830
11-16-2008, 05:22 AM
i wish mountainman would post the CORRECT coords to this cave since he evidently did this (with pics too). It pissed me cause, my 2 friends and my bro searched for about 3 hours for this cave but nothing came up.

I'm sorry it pissed you, but I didn't post any coords, correct or incorrect. :mrgreen:

jman
11-16-2008, 05:06 PM

I'm sorry it pissed you, but I didn't post any coords, correct or incorrect. :mrgreen:

I wasn't mad at you - just the situation. I realize you didn't post the coords up there - but I was rather hoping that you HAD them or something and could post how to get to it.

Thanks anyways though. Although the 3 hours were spent well - it just didn't end with a destination, ya know? Its like wandering in Walmart or Costco for 3 hours and not buying anything.

Derek-Jennings
06-09-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm planning on following the coordinates tomorrow to find this cave. Does it require rope or is there rope in there? I'm new with this Bogley so bear with me. Thanks!

Derek-Jennings
06-10-2010, 08:23 PM
I went today and it was cool. I could not find the geo cache though!

jman
06-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I went today and it was cool. I could not find the geo cache though!

you found it? Which coords did you use? How far did you go in? Was the ladder there? And no, this isn't 50 questions from me...

Derek-Jennings
06-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Yea I found it. I used Scout Masters co-ords - N41 16.905 W111 56.193 I did not use a ladder. There was a rope to help you climb up. I went in pretty far. You go a bit past mtnman1830's picture of the dude with the stalagmite. There is rope tied to that. Then you can go left, down, or right. The rope goes down but is really hard to fit through. The left goes pretty far but there's a crevice that goes deep and if you fall your screwed. My brother and I went pretty far down that but it was getting very close together when we turned around. It supposedly opens up to "the mud room". You can also go right after the stalagmite. It is a pretty small crawl space and it looks like it goes in a bit. I think the center and the left are the only promising ones (mainly the left.) I have yet to explore the whole cave but I'm planning on doing it soon. It gets pretty creepy the farther you get in and the closer the walls come together. Luckily there are red painted arrows on the wall telling you how to get out. Make sure you bring lots of light. You need to go slow and take your time. Have fun and be safe! D A J

Bootboy
06-15-2010, 03:10 AM
I've explored that entire cave several times and measured it all the way to the back. It's 380' to the mud room at the back. It's worth taking the vertical section to the bottom to see the 2 big rooms and hang out in for a bit. Sadly much of the cave's natural wonders have been destroyed by countless scouts and high-school kids who thought it would be cool to have their very own stalagmite/stalactite and broke one off and took it home. The vertical section can be bypassed by going left at the initial junction and then back underneath but its kind of a tight squeeze. It's slow going to get all the way to the back as you are stemming most of the time and only take a few steps on flat ground. Take care not to fall as a rescue in that cave would be horrendous. The most interesting thing about it is trying to figure out who would bother taking all the garbage down there to begin with. A neat cave none the less.

rockgremlin
09-05-2018, 01:46 PM
A few snaps from our hike to Garner Cave over the weekend....

Overlooking Ogden - this is the approach hike

The knotty rope ascent to the cave entrance -- this is roughly 15' - 20'

Group photo just underneath the cave

The view looking south from the cave

oldno7
09-05-2018, 02:25 PM
did you go in?

rockgremlin
09-05-2018, 03:39 PM
^^^Nah, we had our dog with us, and you've gotta hand-over-hand your way up that knotted rope for about 20 feet to gain entrance. Maybe next time when I drag Sombeech up there and he takes his drone so we can get kewl action shots of us on rope. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
09-05-2018, 04:15 PM
I can see how that cave would be difficult to locate. Was there any worn trail leading to it?

rockgremlin
09-05-2018, 04:29 PM
There's a pretty decently worn trail snaking through the underbrush all the way up to the cave. The problem is there are a lot of trails snaking through that area, and it's difficult to know exactly which one is the correct route. I could see a lot of paths snaking off into outer darkness, and others winding their way towards a large a spacious building, but we held fast to the iron rod of GPS that delivered us safely to the cave. At two separate places you have to do some light rock climbing over dryfalls. At first we turned away from these dryfalls because they looked like dead ends, but it turned out that you're supposed to climb up and over those. It's easy to find if you have good gps coords or if you go with someone who has been there previously. But if you're going blind with no prior knowledge you'll likely get lost.

jman
09-05-2018, 07:29 PM
There's a pretty decently worn trail snaking through the underbrush all the way up to the cave. The problem is there are a lot of trails snaking through that area, and it's difficult to know exactly which one is the correct route. I could see a lot of paths snaking off into outer darkness, and others winding their way towards a large a spacious building, but we held fast to the iron rod of GPS that delivered us safely to the cave. At two separate places you have to do some light rock climbing over dryfalls. At first we turned away from these dryfalls because they looked like dead ends, but it turned out that you're supposed to climb up and over those. It's easy to find if you have good gps coords or if you go with someone who has been there previously. But if you're going blind with no prior knowledge you'll likely get lost.

That’s how it was maybe 5 years ago too. Definitely gets confusing if you have never been.
Glad you found it though. It’s a neat a little cave so close to suburbia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sombeech
09-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Well I say the three of us should hit it before the year ends.

rockgremlin
09-06-2018, 03:17 PM
How's your claustrophobia? I've read it gets really tight in there with some off deck sideways stemming. Tricky to get all the way in, and damn near impossible for S&R crews to extract once you're all in.