PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Ring Arch

Iceaxe
12-03-2005, 11:58 PM
I just added Ring Arch to Climb-Utah.com
http://climb-utah.com/Moab/ring.htm

Its a really cool arch in Arches Natioanl Park that is seldom visited but really easy to reach. Its a nice route to do after you have hit all the tourist trails.

The arch also has some interesting history with its inclusion in a book called "Arch Bagging" that forced the National Park service to rewrite its rule book.

In 1982, Gerry Roach wrote a self published book titled "Arch Bagger". This was his first book and a mere 300 copies were printed. The book is long out of print, and it is very rare. Ring Arch was one of the 39 arches identified in Arch Bagger.

After Roach published Arch Bagger, the National Park Service defined new rules for climbing in Arches National Park. Climbing is prohibited on any arch identified on current USGS 7.5 minute topographical maps. This rule presumably affected 16 of the 39 arches described in Arch Bagger. One of them being Ring Arch.

accadacca
12-04-2005, 12:03 AM
That is SWEET! That bottom one needs to go in the image bar. BTW...I just sent you a PM and an email.

Iceaxe
12-04-2005, 12:24 AM
That bottom one needs to go in the image bar.

AAAaaaa.... we have an image bar??? Any hot women hang out at this bar? I'll have a beer and give the lady anther of whatever shes drinkin'.... and remember.... go ugly early.... :roflol:

Having a picture on the Image Bar would be cool..... I mean if I knew how to actually put an image on the image bar it would be cool....

Ice

Sombeech
12-04-2005, 11:37 AM
It's about time I get down to Arches again. It's been about 4 years.

Iceaxe
12-04-2005, 11:59 AM
It's about time I get down to Arches again. It's been about 4 years.

Maybe will can try and hook up for a trip. I'm working on a new project of documenting some of the cool routes and arches that are off the beaten path. There are some awesome arches in the park but the NPS likes to keep all the tourists bunched in a tight area on well established trails. It makes management much easier then having folks wandering all over the place.

If anyone wants to recommend a cool secluded arch in or out of the park I would love to hear about it.

One of my favorite arches is Corona Arch just outside the park.
http://climb-utah.com/Moab/corona.htm

Corona would probably make any top 10 list of area arches.

Ice

James_B_Wads2000
12-05-2005, 07:25 AM
One of my favorite arches is Corona Arch just outside the park.
http://climb-utah.com/Moab/corona.htm

Corona would probably make any top 10 list of area arches.

Ice

I followed this route last March with my family and my sisters family. A great hike for kids. My daughter and nephew both three at the time made it with a minnium amout of carring them. I was pretty proud of my wife and kid when I sent a co-worker of mine down there the following month and he didn't make it up the ladders with his baby backpack.

James

Iceaxe
12-05-2005, 07:50 AM
I sent a co-worker of mine down there the following month and he didn't make it up the ladders with his baby backpack.

I think those ladders are awesome for your weekend warrior type of hiker. They add just a little bit of the unusal to the trip. My kids (6 and 8 at the time) though they were great fun.

Also... a guy be the name of Tim Martin flew his airplane through Carona Arch. I'm trying to get a copy of this picture if anyone knows where one might exist.