PDA

View Full Version : Winter Trips

live2ride
11-30-2005, 12:24 PM
I am interested in taking a winter trip to somewhere warm enough to Mtn Bike. Is anyone interested in heading down south? If so what are some good trails to hit and where. Thanks

Sombeech
11-30-2005, 12:34 PM
I am interested in taking a winter trip to somewhere warm enough to Mtn Bike. Is anyone interested in heading down south? If so what are some good trails to hit and where. Thanks

I hear ya man. I'm out of school next tuesday. FOR GOOD!

I'd love to hit some trails down south, but January might be my first chance.

DickHead
11-30-2005, 12:42 PM

I hear ya man. I'm out of school next tuesday. FOR GOOD!

I'd love to hit some trails down south, but January might be my first chance.

Me too. I may be up for something starting in January. Especially if I can mountain bike and road bike where the temperature is above 50.

Sombeech
11-30-2005, 12:44 PM
St George may be the only option for those temps, within Utah anyways.

DickHead
11-30-2005, 12:46 PM
St George may be the only option for those temps, within Utah anyways.

For a weekend trip, leaving friday returning sunday, I'd be in. Potential for as many as 4 rides in one weekend.... :2thumbs:

live2ride
11-30-2005, 03:34 PM
I am in, and we could swing something for January, I would love to go down there and ride, if it happens I could swing at least one free room at a hotel? There is nothing better than a mid winter ride to kick the crap out of you!

accadacca
11-30-2005, 03:53 PM
There is nothing better than a mid winter ride to kick the crap out of you!
Yup, and then a pie hole full of crab in Vegas or Mesquite. :eat:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426

live2ride
11-30-2005, 04:03 PM
That made me Hungry!! I think I will go and have some imitation crab salad.....

accadacca
11-30-2005, 04:24 PM
That made me Hungry!! I think I will go and have some imitation crab salad.....
:eat: :doh:....... :lol8:

DickHead
11-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Are there any trails in Mesquite? Bueller? Bueller? Is there a KOA there? Screw hotels...

BTW, the weekend of Jan 13th-15th is out for me. Also, I am likely going to be planning a shooting weekend in the desert here in Utah in Feb. Details to follow on that when it gets closer.
:assault:

live2ride
11-30-2005, 05:17 PM
i am down with the KOA, just wasn't sure what the weather is like in Jan down in S. Utah? I am up for whatever!!

DickHead
11-30-2005, 05:56 PM
i am down with the KOA, just wasn't sure what the weather is like in Jan down in S. Utah? I am up for whatever!!

I was thinking Kabins.....

live2ride
12-01-2005, 09:41 AM
That would work do you have to reserve them months in advance to guarantee one??

DickHead
12-01-2005, 09:49 AM
That would work do you have to reserve them months in advance to guarantee one??

Probably not.

DickHead
12-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Just checked the site, there isn't one in Mesquite or St. George. There is one in Cedar City, but there isn't much winter riding there, IIRC.
I'm not big on hotels, but would be okay with it if it came down to it.
I prefer cabins or camping, but even down there camping in jan might be iffy.

DickHead
12-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Oasis has a gun club, though, with trap range.
:twisted:
http://www.oasisresort.com

DickHead
12-01-2005, 10:01 AM
I just keep going, and going and going....
Found a bike shop in Mesquite. Probably worth giving them a call, whoever is organizing this thing.

JADDE SPORTS BIKES
213 N SANDHILL BLVD
MESQUITE, NV
(702) 346-5535

Sombeech
12-01-2005, 10:56 AM
whoever is organizing this thing.

It's starting to sound official. Let's just rent one of those party buses, and head down this February.

I call not to drive.

TreeHugger
12-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey, have you guys thought about Vegas? There is some stellar mtbing in the red rock area near Vegas - warm and cheap lodging, Im sure, if you dont want to camp... plus, you can play at night.

http://www.bikingdestinations.com/vegas.htm

The riding in Bootleg Canyon is epic. It's *very* easy to get to - basically drive through Boulder City and take a left.

http://www.bootlegcanyon.com

my favorite vegas bike shop is las vegas cyclery

http://www.escapeadventures.com/lasvegas_bike_shop/

I have gone on a bunch of tours with these guys and they are tops. Call them up and as for Jeff or Jared [owner] and inquire about their day trips to the nearby red rock canyon area. Jeff usually does half/one day/two day red rock tours and he is well worth it. Cool guy and not one of your typical brah-dood type guides.

Sombeech
12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
http://www.escapeadventures.com/lasvegas_bike_shop/

I have gone on a bunch of tours with these guys and they are tops. Call them up and as for Jeff or Jared [owner] and inquire about their day trips to the nearby red rock canyon area. Jeff usually does half/one day/two day red rock tours and he is well worth it. Cool guy and not one of your typical brah-dood type guides.

Cool, thanks. Hey, you should come too if we go down there, to show us around.

Don't worry about the roullette table though, I know my way around those.

TreeHugger
12-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Actually, I've never ridden there - the info is from another mountain biking board - a bunch of my friends at www.mmba.org This is the website and bulletin board of the association I was involved with in Michigan.

Sombeech
12-05-2005, 09:39 PM
another mountain biking board - a bunch of my friends at www.mmba.org

That seems like a pretty cool forum. I'll have to check it out. 5200 members :eek2:

live2ride
12-06-2005, 11:47 AM
I will be in Vegas all next week, looks like I am going to have to check out Boulder city and the riding they have down there!!

TreeHugger
12-06-2005, 02:11 PM
yeah, the mmba is an awesome organization. I was very active in it when I lived in Michigan.

I was the Director of their Mountain Kids program for a few years, that is a program where we had a stable of kids mountain bikes and we took disadvantaged kids out riding for a day, usually the first time they were ever on bikes and in the woods!

I also was co-editor of their quarterly magazine and served on their board of directors for a year. One of the things I'm most proud of is that I developed, designed and implemented a mountain biking symposium for women to teach them about mtbing... we had 60 women and about 25 volunteers and taught how to ride, basic knowledge, and maintenance, it was cool. I did that for 3 years, til I moved here.....

I mostly just miss that mountain biking community and all the people that were involved.

accadacca
12-06-2005, 02:55 PM
yeah, the mmba is an awesome organization. I was very active in it when I lived in Michigan.
That's cool! :2thumbs:

Sombeech
12-06-2005, 05:32 PM

What is your username on mmba?

TreeHugger
12-06-2005, 07:58 PM
KarenM

I havent posted much there in a while... I've been away too long... alas! :-)

Sombeech
12-06-2005, 08:47 PM
KarenM

I havent posted much there in a while... I've been away too long... alas! :-)

I've made a post over there (Sombeech) and I've "met" some of your friends!
Here's the post. http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=36593

TreeHugger
12-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I checked it out! Very nice... yep, they are some super cool people, I miss them terribly.

Mtnbiker
12-08-2005, 11:39 AM
I miss them terribly.

Me too. :cry1:

The MMBA is awesome and much like here in utah, all our good friends came from riding!
Everyone beware - TheJode is coming, hehe...

Shan
12-08-2005, 12:07 PM
I've done St. George in late December before. Short sleeves and shorts by day, but down coats and longjohns by night (if you're camping).