PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake City Addresses

derstuka
11-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Could someone elighten me and explain to me what 1640 South 2300 West means?? I don't quite grasp the addressing system in SLC.

Udink
11-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Could someone elighten me and explain to me what 1640 South 2300 West means?? I don't quite grasp the addressing system in SLC.
Most cities in Utah use a grid system of addresses, based on a central north-south street and a central east-west street. In SLC, I think these streets are Main Street for the north-south street and and South Temple for the east-west street. The address you listed would be approximately 16.4 blocks south of South Temple and 23 blocks west of Main Street.

You can't tell where the **** (just testing the filters :smile:) Walnut Street is by its name, but you can easily find 300 South by its name.

Sombeech
11-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, Utah is unique it seems with it's addressing system. To us, it's normal, but to everybody else "out of state" it's strange.

Our justification is that you can never just find Peach Street. You have to buy a map, or ask directions. But, if you are at 300 West and 500 North, you know exactly how to get to 600 West and 200 North. Just 3 blocks west, and 3 blocks south.

rockgremlin
11-22-2005, 04:24 PM
The addressing system in SLC kicks ass!! It's a very simple and logical system (unless you're talking about Fort Union - what a clusterf***!)

Streets are laid out it the four major directions getting higher as you go away from the Mormon Temple in downtown SLC. So, 4000 So. 6300 West would be 40 blocks south of the temple, and 63 blocks west. It's ridiculously easy.

If you really want to be confused, go to somewhere like Tempe, where streets are only named (with names, not numbers), and the names change across the entire length of the street. -- So the same street bears two or three different names across it's entire length. Confusing as hell!

price1869
11-22-2005, 09:10 PM
I love the grid system too. Latin cities are generally set up this way. See Guatemala City, Mexico City, etc.

DickHead
11-23-2005, 06:25 AM
Udink hit it pretty well. I think the actual physical center of the grid is the Mormon temple.
I try to explain it as such:
If you go west of the temple, the streets are numbered higher and higher, Ie 100 West, 200 west, 300 west, etc. These streets run north/south. If you go south of the temple, 100 South, 200 south, 300 south, etc. These streets run east/west. An address of 150 South 200 West means that the house is 150 west, and the street is 200 south. It took me awhile to realize the address is always first, when you get in the burbs some of the streets are jacked up like 5056 West 9236 south. Same system, the street might curve or something and the first one is the address.

Some streets work off of names, like 1234 Mormon Circle. Those get to be a pain in the ass, because you have no idea what the grid is.

Black Mage
11-23-2005, 12:12 PM
I hate it when cities only name their streets and don't number them. Names are useless. If I'm on Oak Blvd. and I need to get to Adams St. you're at a compete loss. Does Oak run north and south, or east and west? Same goes for Adams. Unless the names are alphabetical, there's no point to them.

Which is not to say that they don't name the streets here, because they do, they just don't post the names on the signs (well, sometimes they do). Like here in Sunset, you may live on Sundevil Dr, but noone ever calls it that, to us it's just 250 W.

I think that if you
re gonna post the name of a street, you should also post the number.

derstuka
11-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Thank you all for your input. I think I would have to live with that system for quite sometime before I feel comfortable with it, but it sounds like you all love it.

DickHead
11-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Thank you all for your input. I think I would have to live with that system for quite sometime before I feel comfortable with it, but it sounds like you all love it.

It should click almost immediately if you were to see it in action, so to speak.

nitmik
11-23-2005, 03:04 PM
just think of it like bombing coordinates :2thumbs: