PDA

View Full Version : St. George

derstuka
11-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Ok, it looks like this trip is gonna happen. A buddy and I are heading up to St. George over Thanksgiving break. We will probably be there 2 full days. Can anybody recommend some of their favorite trails in the area? I know we want to do Gooseberry Mesa, but, besides that, we are unsure what other rides, with so many to choose from.

Any trail advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Shuntavi
11-17-2005, 08:13 AM
East end of Washington County

Gooseberry
J.E.M. - Virgin River Rim trail and Ghoules Wash loop
Little Creek North and South
Guacamole Trail
Church Rocks - Prospector Trail
Rockville Bench (access stinks)
Freeride:
Grafton Mesa with SHow me the Money
Flying Monkey
RedBull Rampage area
Nephi's Twist

Around St. George there are other trails not listed like the Bearclaw Poppy Trail, etc..

accadacca
11-17-2005, 10:21 AM
This was a PM to derstuka, I will put it here for all.

Sure hoser...

You can look here for specifics: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651

I will order the trails by priority:

#1 Gooseberry Mesa - This trail is first class and a MUST. I would rate it much higher than the slick rock trail and many in Moab. It is one of my top two in the state. Single track dirt sections mixed with sections of rock and technical climbing. Plus the cliff side views are bar none. A stellar "10"! 5 stars for this trail.

#2 JEM trail - This is also a great trail and on the way to gooseberry. It rides along the rim of the virgin river and has some great down hill sections. The views of Zion in the distance and the mesa where gooseberry is located are amazing.

#3 Green Valley Loop - A fun little downhill romp with a round trip on the pavement. Awesome drops and quick in and outs make this trail the best "quicky" that I have ridden.

acca

derstuka
11-17-2005, 07:24 PM
East end of Washington County

Gooseberry
J.E.M. - Virgin River Rim trail and Ghoules Wash loop
Little Creek North and South
Guacamole Trail
Church Rocks - Prospector Trail
Rockville Bench (access stinks)
Freeride:
Grafton Mesa with SHow me the Money
Flying Monkey
RedBull Rampage area
Nephi's Twist

Around St. George there are other trails not listed like the Bearclaw Poppy Trail, etc..

Thanks for the tips. You gave me a lot of options.

Sombeech
11-17-2005, 09:43 PM
I'd love to try the Guacamole trail.

derstuka
11-23-2005, 02:05 PM
I'd love to try the Guacamole trail.

I take it is called the "Guacamole Trail" because of all the green moss on it??

Sombeech
11-23-2005, 11:22 PM
I take it is called the "Guacamole Trail" because of all the green moss on it??

I'm not sure, but just in case, I'm packin' Corn Chips when I go this spring. :popcorn:

mroy
11-25-2005, 08:53 AM
I was wondering why it was named that when I was riding it earlier this month. At first all I wanted was mexican after the ride, but as the ride progressed and I had a couple really long scrapes from the unforgiving brush I thought guacamole would feel real nice on my wounds. I think Shuntavi mentioned elsewhere why it's named that, but I can't remember.