PDA

View Full Version : New here

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Thought I'd say "hi", don't know much about message boards and protocol but I thought I'd jump in, a good pal of mine said this was a pretty fun place.

I love Utah, my parents were both born here but moved to California as kids, raised my mug there then decided to move back while I attended college. I was going to go back but I loved the outdoors, no way I'm living anywhere but the Intermountain West. My personal favorite area is the Swell through Boulder Mountain. Every time I drive through Torrey I tell my wife that we're retiring on the south side of town right before highway 12. I've got 25 years to break her down, plus I'm sickeningly handsome and possess the full charm of a handsome Hugh Grant without the male prostitute fetish.

Anyway, I'll probably pretty active when its time for me to hit the Swell. I need some good advice on locations and places to visit while I'm there.

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 12:41 PM
My handle? The name of my queen sized pillow top airmattress which fits perfectly in my Springbar tent... Its one of my most prized possessions.

nitmik
11-15-2005, 12:57 PM
welcome to the site, nice avatar

rockgremlin
11-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Torrey huh? A friend of mine says thats where he would like to retire too. Actually, I wouldn't mind retiring there either. If ya want info on the swell, check out the canyoneering section, and look under trip report index.

Have fun!! :2thumbs:

Shan
11-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi there and welcome! How'd they let you add that big avatar?

I have lots of friends that have lived in Torrey. They were all associated with Aspen or AYA programs.

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Torrey huh? A friend of mine says thats where he would like to retire too. Actually, I wouldn't mind retiring there either. If ya want info on the swell, check out the canyoneering section, and look under trip report index.

Have fun!! :2thumbs:

Nice, I'll take a look. Sometimes when I'm in Torrey I'll just hang in front of the B and D burgers for hours and refuse to leave. Everyone gets pissed at me, I don't care, I just keep buying my kids ice cream cones.

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi there and welcome! How'd they let you add that big avatar?

Thanks and on the avatar, I dunno, I really haven't been on message boards before so I just cut this one from some Overstock.com add and inserted it into my profile. BTW - my airmattress isn't that big, just for effect.

Can I say one thing about my backpacking/camping evolution? Well, more of a story really? I totally grew up in the Bay Area as a minimalist backpacker, thinnest and lightest was my mantra. I used to scoff at anyone with heavy equipment, then I moved to Utah for college and you could basically walk five miles and be in solitude, hell, drive 40 minutes and be in the middle of nowhere. I kept up the minimalist format til I was about 31 when I took my then 9 month old to the mouth of Crack Canyon, I pumped up a full size air mattress..... HOLY SHIT! It was like I saw the 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ himself.... I've probably camped a good 50 times since then and my air mattresses just keep getting bigger and bigger, its like someone shot the air mattress drug directly into my vein and its the most addictive shit on the planet. One day, one day, I'll be sleeping on a 5 pound pillow top feather bed airmattress and I'll refuse to leave my tent..... one day, we can all have a dream, one day....

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 03:47 PM
All Hail Torrey Utah.... my wife, me, and my 6 year old, Torrey Utah in the background.

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/4503/26462487m8rh.jpg

nitmik
11-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Nice picture

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Nice picture

Don't **** with it dillweed...

nitmik
11-15-2005, 03:56 PM
oh the temptation :roflol:

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 04:00 PM
oh the temptation :roflol:

I'll smother you with my Triple D airmattress Mike... I'll do it. LOL!

rockgremlin
11-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Everyone gets pissed at me, I don't care, I just keep buying my kids ice cream cones.

:roflol: :roflol: That's AWESOME!!! :roflol: :roflol:

BTW, what university did you go to, and your major was...?

accadacca
11-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the site Delux! I like your thing and I think Sombeech will really like your mattress...

BTW...Can you and your step brother nitmik re-size you avatars to 100X100 or smaller. Cooooo thanks. :cool2:

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Everyone gets pissed at me, I don't care, I just keep buying my kids ice cream cones.

:roflol: :roflol: That's AWESOME!!! :roflol: :roflol:

BTW, what university did you go to, and your major was...?

I went to the U, graduated in History, thought about Law School, too hard for an geezer like me to start over. I'm working for a health care start up that is about to blow through the roof, its been painful and fun, my better half works for United Airlines so we travel alot, in fact she took the boys down there today and I'm meeting up with them tomorrow, ****, is this Lex? Never mind, probably know this already for some reason.... LOL!

The U and my company and my wife stuff maybe new.... Mike just old me I'm suddenly in the top 40 posters after 2 hours. We gotta shake this place up.

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 04:52 PM
I can't say the F word? What the ****?

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the site Delux! I like your thing and I think Sombeech will really like your mattress...

BTW...Can you and your step brother nitmik re-size you avatars to 100X100 or smaller. Cooooo thanks. :cool2:

Mike, resize mine, I'm lazy....

Sombeech
11-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the site.

Man! That avatar's huge! (So is the mattress) I'm a fan of packing the huge padding on hiking trips. Some call me queensize.

But anyways, here's your same pic, that will fit in the profile settings. The filter doesn't see the properties on hotlinked pics, so that's how it got so huge. What you can do is save this little version of your avatar to your PC, then upload it on your profile. Or I guess you could hotlink from the smaller pic if you wanted.

I can't say the F word? What the f***?

Yeah, sorry dude, we try to keep it PG around here. We welcome the censored words though.

Nice meeting you, and again, welcome to the site.

Sombeech
11-15-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm a fan of packing the huge padding on hiking trips. Some call me queensize.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/cam_and_i.jpg

Need I say more? That huge coiled up red thing is about 10 pounds of pure comfort.

While the dude in the blue shirt is about 210 lbs of pure man. :haha: I'd have to be a man to haul that pack around. I believe it was 67 lbs that year. And would you believe I still forgot some things? :ne_nau:

accadacca
11-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Where is that Havasu picture of you with that clear air mattress?

accadacca
11-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Found it:

http://uutah.com/forum/files/hammock.jpg

See your in good company TripleDelux.....look below the hammock. :lol8:

Sombeech
11-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Functional AND comfortable. By day, a floating device in the pools below Havasu Falls (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=961), by night, a comfy sleep. (the hammock was only good for day naps)

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Functional AND comfortable. By day, a floating device in the pools below Havasu Falls (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=961), by night, a comfy sleep. (the hammock was only good for day naps)

You ought to sell this stuff, you had me at Functional and Comfortable.... but you threw in "it doubles as a floating device" SOLD!!!!!!!!!!

Sombeech
11-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah, and it actually weighs less, and takes up less room than that eggshell mattress I packed the first time.

But there's something about that eggshell. mmm, eggshell.

accadacca
11-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Damn dude hows the goat coming along? In the Kings pic it was like 6"!

Of course if you ask rockgremlin [who reads GQ or something] the goatee was out in the early 90's.... :lol8: Who reads GQ anyway...perhaps years ago when I was still hustling loose women. :naughty:

Sombeech
11-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Damn dude hows the goat coming along? In the Kings pic it was like 6"!

It comes and goes. It's getting kinda bushy again. The best way to grow it long is by having some "support" in the shape of the chinstrap beard.

I'm thinking of growing it back. It just hurts so bad to lose it again. :sad:

I'll use winter weather as an excuse though. I NEVER go by popular consensus. For example, when GQ says long hair is in again, it's because some people have been growing it for years, getting mocked and ridiculed by the same GQ editors, and then BAM! It suddenly looks good.

nitmik
11-16-2005, 07:50 AM
Mike, resize mine, I'm lazy....

You're more than just that. :naughty: