PDA

View Full Version : Derstuka's Worst Moments errrrr....Greatest Hits

derstuka
11-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Well, this is all that I have at work. Many are from CA, or AZ, but a good number are from Utah as well.

accadacca
11-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Wow, yeah nice....we need to get some of those on there! :2thumbs:

derstuka
11-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Wow, yeah nice....we need to get some of those on there! :2thumbs:

Thanks, and feel free to use some of the "babe" pics from my Laguna Seca thread in July. haha :2thumbs:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636

Shan
11-15-2005, 02:25 PM
These are super!

derstuka
11-15-2005, 03:56 PM
These are super!

Thanks...glad you like them! I have a boatload more of them, too many to list, but these were pretty cool I figured.

Here's some more to take a gander at.

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Those pix rule, I grew up backpacking in Kings Canyon and hiked the half dome cables a dozen times. The rest of those pictures rule. Hats off to you and your adventures.

accadacca
11-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Yeah high fives all around derstuka..... :five:

Sombeech
11-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Very nice pics. BTW, those Grand Canyon pics you have, are they from the "Rim to Rim" hike?

My boss just went on the rim to rim hike, where you start at the South rim, and go to the North rim in one day. Something like 26 miles?

derstuka
11-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Very nice pics. BTW, those Grand Canyon pics you have, are they from the "Rim to Rim" hike?

My boss just went on the rim to rim hike, where you start at the South rim, and go to the North rim in one day. Something like 26 miles?

Funny you mention that, because I was gonna do a rim to rim this year, but my schedule didn't permit it. The day I took those pictures I did about 18 miles total, only stopping at the river to soak my feet (and walk around) for about an hour....then it was back UP, whew, that was a toughie! What I did was go down the South Kaibab Trail, along the river trail, then back up and out on the Bright Angel Trail. From where I took the picture of the bridge, I only saw two people, then I didn't see anybody for about 45 mins (along the entire river trail), but once you get a little more than halfway up (past Indian Gardens) the place is like Disneyland, with people everywhere. 99% Never go more than 3 miles or so from the top rim.

derstuka
11-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Those pix rule, I grew up backpacking in Kings Canyon and hiked the half dome cables a dozen times. The rest of those pictures rule. Hats off to you and your adventures.

For a first-timer those cables were kinda freaky to me (the picture I showed is at the top, after the very steep incline). So many people sit down at the bottom and are afraid to go up them. For rockclimbers (like the ones on this website) they are nothing, but not to most everyone else.

Sombeech
11-15-2005, 05:37 PM
http://uutah.com/forum/files/dsc00782resized.jpg

That is an incredible picture.

I also need to get to Yosemite Park

DirkHammergate
11-15-2005, 06:00 PM

For a first-timer those cables were kinda freaky to me (the picture I showed is at the top, after the very steep incline). So many people sit down at the bottom and are afraid to go up them. For rockclimbers (like the ones on this website) they are nothing, but not to most everyone else.

I hear you, I somehow convinced my parents to let me take their car with my best friend up to Yosemite when I got my liscense inbetween my Sophomore and Junior years of high school, we did the Valley to the top and then down in a day, since then we've done it a dozen times but the first time, that was pretty hairy, even after I'd been climbing for a year or two. Its like 3/4 quarters the way up if you were to get outside the cables you'd fall like 2000 feet, maybe more on each side. God that is fun and I wonder how more regular people dont die. I love that place.

derstuka
11-16-2005, 06:00 AM

I hear you, I somehow convinced my parents to let me take their car with my best friend up to Yosemite when I got my liscense inbetween my Sophomore and Junior years of high school, we did the Valley to the top and then down in a day, since then we've done it a dozen times but the first time, that was pretty hairy, even after I'd been climbing for a year or two. Its like 3/4 quarters the way up if you were to get outside the cables you'd fall like 2000 feet, maybe more on each side. God that is fun and I wonder how more regular people dont die. I love that place.

Yes, I am VERY surprised that more people don't die on the cables. I saw a few people turn around halfway up, and some more than had to be coached up, little by little. I'll include another picture of the cables for you to reminisce old times. In the busy summer, some people actually walk outside of the cables because it gets so crowded. I think what gets even more people, is that you have to use your arms way more than your legs to get up to the top.