PDA

View Full Version : Wasatch winter riding

eddy1911
11-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Alright, now I know everyone is getting bummed because winter is on its way. I also know that you can always make a trip to southern Utah to get some riding in down there during the winter. So here is the question: Where are some good places to do some mountain biking along the Wasatch Front area from Ogden to Provo during the winter?

Obviously the mountains will be covered with snow so not a lot of options up there. I live in the Syracuse area so Antelope Island is close by. We always use those trails as a last resort since they aren't the most fun. I like the Shoreline trails but they get pretty gooey when wet.

What ideas do you have?

Eddy

jfeiro
11-02-2005, 04:25 PM
You can always do Stansbury Island. I haven't done it for a couple of years. The west face is covered with a little snow, nothing unridable though and once you reach the saddle and drop down a couple of hundred feet to the trail you're good to go. It's a nice 8 to 9 mile out and back for a winter ride. Can't exactly remember how to get there it's north of exit 84 or 88 off of I-80. There is a TR on Utah Mountain Biking for it. Happy riding!!!

DickHead
11-03-2005, 06:05 AM
Shoreline trail is often snow-free and dries quickly.
Yellow Fork, until it gets snow. Much of it is north facing.
5 mile pass

eddy1911
11-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Well, I tried Farmington Canyon this weekend since it was wet Saturday. I wanted to get up to Farmington Flats but was only able to make it 5 miles up the canyon. The road was getting snow packed and slushy making it very slippery and hard to stay on my bike.

So, Farmington Canyon might be a good wet weather ride since it is a dirt road and not a muddy singletrack, but not the best ride during winter since the road gets snowpacked.

The quest goes on for winter riding trails.

Eddy

mroy
11-07-2005, 09:30 AM
When I lived in Western NY (lake effect snow capital of the world) I was tempted to stud some tires, but never got around to it. On not so icy, but packed snow I could ride with a deeper tread tire pretty easily. Anyone here try snow riding before? I know they do it a lot up in Alaska, but haven't really seen anyone do it around here.

greyhair biker
11-30-2005, 02:21 PM
There's always a place to ride up here in the Green River area but BITTER cold :frustrated: the last few days. I am waiting to order my studded snow tires with my shop parts order but haven't done it yet. SOON!

DickHead
11-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Stansbury Island:
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/stansbur.htm

mroy
12-14-2005, 09:55 AM
I've had some interesting riding the past couple weeks. I've been on various sections of the BST up here in Ogden just doing some maintenance riding, nothing serious or intense. Since moving to Utah I really can't remember a winter where I took my bike out for a ride on the trails. I just stuck to my trainer, ugh! Despite the freezing temps, the snow, and it being dark just after work, it's been fun. Beats the hell out of riding on a trainer. It's been cold enough that the trails aren't muddy or rutted from a thaw, ride, freeze cycle and they haven't been used enough that they're covered in ice. The snow helps amplify the moonlight to levels where you almost don't need lights at all, but I wouldn't want to ride without them. I had to on Monday for the last mile after the batteries died, but it wasn't bad at all. My only problem are my v-brakes taking a herculian effort to engage. Anybody know of some cables that are good in freezing weather?

derstuka
12-14-2005, 10:54 AM
I've had some interesting riding the past couple weeks. I've been on various sections of the BST up here in Ogden just doing some maintenance riding, nothing serious or intense. Since moving to Utah I really can't remember a winter where I took my bike out for a ride on the trails. I just stuck to my trainer, ugh! Despite the freezing temps, the snow, and it being dark just after work, it's been fun. Beats the hell out of riding on a trainer. It's been cold enough that the trails aren't muddy or rutted from a thaw, ride, freeze cycle and they haven't been used enough that they're covered in ice. The snow helps amplify the moonlight to levels where you almost don't need lights at all, but I wouldn't want to ride without them. I had to on Monday for the last mile after the batteries died, but it wasn't bad at all. My only problem are my v-brakes taking a herculian effort to engage. Anybody know of some cables that are good in freezing weather?

Do you have teflon coated cables? They may help. Or coat them with a teflon coated spray. Are the v-brakes stopping you ok once they engage? If not, I am pretty partial to disk brakes, and you might want to give a set of Avid Mechanicals a try.

mroy
12-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Yeah, they'll stop fine, the cables are just so stiff in the cold or something. I'm definitely going for disc brakes on the next bike I buy, but I'm so cheap I'm having a hard time convincing myself to get a new one. I know how much nicer the ride is on the newer bikes, but it's tough for me to part with money.

I'm pretty sure the cables were teflon coated when I bought them. I guess what I really want to know is if everyone's cable performance is going to degrade in freezing temps, like 15-20 degrees. Above freezing braking is fine. I don't want to go to the trouble of making the 40 minute round trip drive to the bike shop, and take the time to install the new cables only to find out that they act the same way at the same temps.

derstuka
12-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Yeah, they'll stop fine, the cables are just so stiff in the cold or something. I'm definitely going for disc brakes on the next bike I buy, but I'm so cheap I'm having a hard time convincing myself to get a new one. I know how much nicer the ride is on the newer bikes, but it's tough for me to part with money.

I'm pretty sure the cables were teflon coated when I bought them. I guess what I really want to know is if everyone's cable performance is going to degrade in freezing temps, like 15-20 degrees. Above freezing braking is fine. I don't want to go to the trouble of making the 40 minute round trip drive to the bike shop, and take the time to install the new cables only to find out that they act the same way at the same temps.

I'm sure they are gonna be harder to engage in freezing temps, when everything is frozen, or very cold. I believe that you can buy teflon coated cable "housing" as well. You might want to try getting some new cable housing regardless. You could have some grease/oil/lube which has gunked up inside the housing. A fresh set could improve this. Different levers, and/or adjusting your brake levers could help as well.

greyhair biker
12-17-2005, 06:00 AM
A dry lube - one that really does dry when applied - will help a bunch if you cables arent gunked up but ANY other lube will slow down below freezing. Even with teflon cables, if you get then wet they will freeze up and how can you avoid it at times. My daily beater still has v brakes with teflon cables & housings...they slow down when wet below freezing but when I get back to the shop I blow everything out with the air compressor. I love hydraulic disk brakes for winter riding because they always work...at least Hayes do...and they always stop...always.

greyhair biker
12-17-2005, 06:07 AM
One more thing, Teflon cables are coated green or grey or black. The package will be marked teflon...no exeptions. Everyone of the manufacturers I buy from are that way. When I went to Interbike in Vegas this fall I saw lots of new cables & housings coming out from Jagwire & others but they were without exeption grey or green or black.
I buy Delta, Jagwire & Quality brands & they all work about the same...close enough for any one of them to work.

mroy
12-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks, those are some great tips. We'll see if I can't clear this up.

greyhair biker
12-19-2005, 11:07 AM
bloody heck! It's cold out for a ride! Speaking of the cable problem, I had to get out and test the new studded tires on my GT -daily beater- the brakes were slow but worked...the derailleur, now that's another thing entirely...hard to get to shift. I still have to put my new Maxxis Mobster 2.7's on my downhill bike - I think I'll try that next - it's a much funner ride most of the time :haha: