PDA

View Full Version : Wasatch front showshoe recommendations?

DickHead
11-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Any hikes that anyone would recommend? Low avalanche danger preferred.

jfeiro
11-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Did the Pipeline last winter, it was a great time. I am also looking for places to snowshoe. Started last year after not being on them for years and just kind of acclimated myself to them again last year and am looking forward to some bigger and better snowshoeing this winter.

TreeHugger
11-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Mill D to Dog Lake or Desolation Lake are good.
Mt. Aire is good.
Red/White Pine lakes are good.
Lake Blanche is good.

I've done all of those on snowshoes, very nice, low avalanche danger. I always check with the avalanche center before I go though.
:-)

Mtnbiker
12-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I'd like to check into the avalanche danger of this trail with a lot of new snow, but we had a great hike at Butler Fork a few weeks ago.

Butler fork starts at what I was calling Mill D South, until I read the post above about Donut Falls being at Mill D South. The trailhead is in Big Cottonwood of course, about 3/4 mile west of, or BEFORE the Mill D north trailhead.

We snowshoed this one and saw a huge moose about 40 yards off the trail too. It starts fairly steep in a shaded ravine and then opens up into a nice sunny and only moderate pitch hike. We hiked NW toward Mill-A basin and Mt. Raymond, then circled back east to Dog Lake and down to the road at Mill D North. I'd guess it was about 8 miles total and a very fun hike with snowshoes.

There is a shorter loop though within Butler Fork itself so you don't need to go all the way over to Mill D North to make a complete loop.
There are great views of BCC both east and west too.

jumar
12-08-2005, 11:22 AM
I've always liked Guardsmans pass. You take the turn off on your left right before you get to brighton. Lots of snowmobiles go up there too though, if that bothers you.

Wasatch Rebel
12-08-2005, 03:17 PM
I've been thinking about going up Porter Fork in Millcreek Canyon. Haven't been their since I was a kid though, so I don't have a lot of information.

FlyfishermanMike
02-21-2006, 04:18 AM
Yah, Porter Fork is great. I have a cabin up there so I'm there all the time. Pretty fun if you continue up past all the cabins and onto the trail.

^^ike