PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunt 2005

fourtycal
10-26-2005, 06:11 PM
My favorite activity as a child was once a year when my Dad would take me Deer hunting. I love the memories of following him on a hike or stalk with my BB gun. He had a favorite spot on the mountain where his dad had taken him, it was a fallen tree above a meadow where we would watch the sun rise over Sleeping Ute Mountain in Colorado, and could see all the way to Shiprock New Mexico. Aspen trees feed the meadow and on occasion we would even see a deer.
Since my dad passed away I have been back to that spot many times with nephews and with my son.
Even as I grow older I still get butterflies from the anticipation of the hunt. It is not so much about the kill, it is re-living past memories and taking youngsters to share the experience, being able to harvest a tasty treat of venison protein just top's off the trip. :haha:
This year I went to the base of the Blue mountains on the Blanding side. I saw a buck just after the sun rose and with the help of my Remington BDL I was able to make a clean kill at around 250 yards. It is not the biggest buck I have ever taken(in fact may be the smallest) but I am tickled with it just the same.
These are a few pictures of Brushy Basin where I hunted and the mountain.

fourtycal
10-26-2005, 06:31 PM
I hung the deer to cool overnight and cut it into steaks, roast, jerky strips and hamburger on sunday morning. The way my wife and kids love it, it will only last a few months(jerky will be gone in a few minutes) I will also send the hide in to get turned into buckskin leather.

DickHead
10-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Good job!
It certainly isn't about the trophy. Its all about the hunt.
I have little respect for 'trophy' hunters.

accadacca
10-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Great story fourty...I enjoyed the read.

So your not just another blood thirsty redneck. :lol8:

Sombeech
10-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Good job!
It certainly isn't about the trophy. Its all about the hunt.

Yeah, that's bigger than any buck I've ever shot.

It's funny with the trophy hunters. They'll hang the head on the wall and say "Look what I paid some guy $10,000 to guide me to."

ChiefAutoParts
11-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Congratulations on a great hunt. Great photos, too. :2thumbs:

Windwalker
11-01-2005, 10:30 AM
FortyCal

What caliber is your Remington and what round did you use? I love hearing "Clean Kill."

fourtycal
11-10-2005, 05:43 PM
It is a 300 Winchester Magnum loaded with a 150 grain CT Ballistic Silvertip and 76 grains of IMR4831 powder. It shoots close to 3400fps. I feel comfortable out to 300 yards, past that I need practice.