PDA

View Full Version : Best Concert EVER!?!

Superriffic S*
10-24-2005, 01:47 PM
I am going to see Depeche Mode in concert in a few weeks and this just made me think...

1st: What was your FIRST concert?

Mine was "Live" they kicked serious A$$! ...and...

2nd: What was your BEST concert?

The best concert I ever went to was "The Cure" right after I got married (it was part of our honey moon) it was awesome! I am not sure if it was because i just got married two days before or what, but it sticks out in my mind more than all the others and Robert Smith actually danced a little (that NEVER happens). Great Concert!

So, tell me... first and best. :rockon:

nitmik
10-24-2005, 01:49 PM
My first would have been an ACDC concert back in Boston in the mid 80's, I would also have to say it was one of the best I've ever been too.

Udink
10-24-2005, 01:54 PM
My first concert was Huey Lewis and the News, I believe it was at the Salt Palace sometime in the mid to late '80s. I must have been only 10 or 11 years old at the time.

The best concert I ever attended was, believe it or not, Sawyer Brown. They played at the BDAC at CEU here in Price about 10 years ago. A close second place is Stone Temple Pilots at UVSC back in 1996.

price1869
10-24-2005, 02:39 PM
Best: hands down, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones at Warped Tour '97. They had energy that I've never seen at a show before or since.

First: I don't remember. There have been so many.

Honorable Mention: Pearl Jam, Jimmy Eat Stuff, Reel Big Fish back in '96, Pearl Jam again, The Samples about 10 times, Going to Iron and Wine tonight. That should be excelent.

accadacca
10-24-2005, 04:27 PM
First: AC/DC SLC 1991

Best: AC/DC on several occasions. I have been to countless rock concerts.
Ted Nugent puts on a great show and ZZ Top. Van Halen is good depending on the year. Many others........ :rockon:

**Damn nitmik I would have loved to see them in the '80's :hail2thechief:

Sombeech
10-24-2005, 04:34 PM
The echo of AC/DC rings on.

The best concert I've ever been too? It's a tie between AC/DC in London, 1996 on their Ballbreaker tour, and their last stop in SLC on the Stiff Upper Lip tour. We had GREAT seats to the latter concert, in fact, so close, Brian Johnson was able to grab my hand from the audience!

My first? Boy, I don't know, but I think it was Marie Osmond, back in the 80's at the Golden Spike Arena in Ogden. Then I matured and saw Jackyl open for Aerosmith for my next concert.

Black Mage
10-24-2005, 07:41 PM
The only concerts I recall ever going to (besides those of the symphonic variety) are both Mannheim Steamroller, one in 2001, another last year. They were both great, but the acoustics of the E Center suck.

Sombeech
10-24-2005, 07:44 PM
The best ZZ Top concert I've seen (out of the four times I've seen them) was on the Antenna tour, '94.
The boys had a sweet stage setup, with the conveyor belts on the stage floor. They would get on them and walk "in place" synchronized with each other.
During "Legs", they had about 20 models come onto the stage, and do some dancing.
Plus other cool stage effects.

And I was makin' out with a chick at that concert. :rockit:

DickHead
10-24-2005, 08:17 PM
I really don't like crowds.
However, in my younger days, I caught a festival on Mud Island in Memphis. Watched James Brown, met some hot chicks, and got drunk (and laid). That counts as one of the best concerts I've ever been to.
Watched Vanilla Ice at Charley's in '98. That was a good time, it was Texas Week/Spring break. Not sure I've ever seen that many boobies in my life.
:2thumbs:
I've been to a few fairs and outdoor concerts that were fun.

eddy1911
10-25-2005, 09:27 AM
My first concert was The B-52's.

The best for me was the farewell tour of Oingo Boingo at the Delta Center in 1995. No opening band, just Danny and the boys playing all of their songs for 2 1/2 hours. Excellent.

Eddy

Wasatch Rebel
10-25-2005, 01:17 PM
My first concert (and I'm dating myself) was America (I think). That was back in the 1970s. My best concert (also in the 70s) was Kansas, just as they were hitting their peak. It was in a small venue that is no longer in existence called the Terrace Ballroom, which used to be located on Fifth South and West Temple (I think).

Sombeech
10-25-2005, 07:27 PM
My best concert (also in the 70s) was Kansas, just as they were hitting their peak. It was in a small venue that is no longer in existence called the Terrace Ballroom, which used to be located on Fifth South and West Temple (I think).

That would have been cool to see.

Hey, that makes me think, what's everybody's most RECENT concert?

I'm trying to think, Van Halen last year?
It would have been Ozzfest this year :frustrated: . They cancelled Utah the third time in a row!! :angryfire: I'm starting to question my "fanhood" of Ozzy.

But then if you can count small venues, I've seen Les Claypool this year, Victor Wooten, both at Shaggy's. I also saw the premiere Pink Floyd cover band at the E Center I think within a year ago. I forgot their name.

What do you think, acca? Is Van Halen our latest concert? Oh, wait, we saw Steve Vai this spring.

Windwalker
10-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Best Concert?? "THREE DOG NIGHT"" at the U of U back in the early seventies. :rockon:
Oh My God, most of you weren't even born. :eek1:
Any Older and they'll have to start Carbon Dating me. :ghost: :lol8:
I still enjoy their music and "CCR." For those to young to know "CCR" is Creedence Clearwater Revival" :rockon:

accadacca
10-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Of course we know CCR!!! :nod: :guitar:

Wasatch Rebel
10-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Oh My God, most of you weren't even born. :eek1:
Any Older and they'll have to start Carbon Dating me.

I feel your pain.

troutfisher
10-27-2005, 02:57 PM
I am going to have to go with The Austrailian Pink Floyd Show. The only cover band Pink Floyd endorses. By the way they will be here Nov. 11th.

Second: Judas Priest Wednesday night at the E center. Live and kick serious Butt!!!!!! Was awesome and way cool. :2thumbs: Any other Priest fans out there?

Sombeech
10-30-2005, 12:51 PM
I am going to have to go with The Austrailian Pink Floyd Show. The only cover band Pink Floyd endorses. By the way they will be here Nov. 11th.

Second: Judas Priest Wednesday night at the E center. Live and kick serious Butt!!!!!! Was awesome and way cool. :2thumbs: Any other Priest fans out there?

I've seen the Australian Floyd show. Pretty good.

As for Judas Priest, man, I wanted to go pretty bad! I just couldn't make it. How was Anthrax on the opening? I've seen them with Pantera before, and that was the heaviest show I've seen.

greyhair biker
11-11-2005, 08:04 AM
FIrst one was Judas Priest - screaming for vengeance tour...long long ago...Best? Rush - moving pictures tour. Neal Peart ROCKS! :rockit: Yeah I just dated myself :nod:

Sombeech
11-11-2005, 05:12 PM
FIrst one was Judas Priest -

I really tried to make it to see them in town a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't do it.

greyhair biker
11-11-2005, 05:14 PM
I didn't even know about it! bummer...work..that's all I did last week...

Cachesoul
12-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey all, my first post, cool site.

First concert
The Guess Who - Pocatello ID 1971

First concert I paid for myself
Bachman Turner Overdrive - Pocatello ID 1974

First concert I drove to myself
Styx - Pocatello ID 1977

First Concert in UT
Heart - Salt Palace - 1980

Favorite Concert in UT
Grateful Dead - Park West 1983

Last Concert
Jerry Joseph and the Jackmormons - Egos SLC 12/10/05

david staub
12-16-2005, 12:44 PM
You guys make me feel so old. I saw the Beatles in Detroit back in '66. I was almost 13 years old. I barely heard any of the music. The people were screaming so loudly.

New Year's Eve 1969 has to be my favorite. It was at the EastTowne in Detroit, Amboy Dukes (Ted Nugent's old group), Savoy Brown, and Grand Funk Railroad. That was phenomenal.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I flew to San Jose, CA and saw Styx, REO Speedwagon, and Journey. What should have been a great concert was actually pretty disappointing. The sound system was awful and was just a touch above AM radio quality.

One of my favorites was James Taylor at the E-Center a couple of years ago. His voice was still as sweet and clear as it was 30 years ago.

Another favorite was in Detroit at the Grande Ballroom on Halloween 1968. I saw the MC5 live and got in free. They were recording their only live album that night. I can say "I was there."

BTTAndy
12-17-2005, 06:22 AM
Hey Dave,
I think you just declared yourself the oldest one on this board by volunteering that info. Concerts in Detroit are always a blast! I saw Ted Nugent at Cobo Hall in 82. The tickets were $6 for tier "C". When he played Stranglehold the whole place went wild for the whole 12 minutes.
I saw a bunch of hardcore bands come through Detroit in the 80s and 90s. One of the Bands was Green River. They opened up for the Butthole Surfers at the Graystone on Michigan ave. Some of the guys from Green River went on to be Pearl Jam.
I also saw Black Flag, The Misfits and a bunch of other bands that do not exist anymore. I was really into the British bands like the Exploited and GBH. :rockon:

rock_ski_cowboy
12-19-2005, 03:56 PM
First Concert: Clover at The Rhapsody in P-Town around 96
Best Concert:
Probably Primus at Big Ass Show 97 or 98 (Was that the year it rained like crazy? I forget.) I remember the feeling of awe after watching Les Claypool hammer like only he can on his bass, bridging in and out of songs without a single pause for the whole set. Incredible.
Honorable mentions:
Less Than Jake. Concerts are even better than their albums and are still small-time (in Utah) enough that you can get within a few feet of them at the show. The fire-blowing skeleton guy is cool too.
Clover- my favorite local band ever (those were the good old days).
Aquabats- cheesy music but a damn good show with plenty of zany theatrics.

TreeHugger
12-21-2005, 09:10 AM
OK, I'll date myself, too.

The very first concert I ever saw was the Fifth Dimension, with my mom, when I was about 10. Then she took me to John Denver and then Neil Diamond - all when I was between 10 and probably 13 or 14.

The first concert I went to by myself was The Steve Miller Band. Awesome!!

My favorite concert ever was Rusted Root at the Detroit Opera House... Ah, man, that rocked!!

BTTAndy
12-21-2005, 09:22 AM
So cool! The Detroit Opera House has just finished a huge renovation. They call it "The Max" After billionaire Max Fisher.

http://www.michiganopera.org/

david staub
12-21-2005, 09:27 AM
I saw John Denver at Meadowbrook back in '72. You probably weren't even born by then.

My wife and I saw Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis (I think the only two living members of the Fifth Dimension) this last summer. She looked incredible. :2thumbs:

I saw Neil Diamond as well as Barry Manilow. Those were both paybacks to my wife since she went with me to see Steppenwolfe two years ago :rockon:

Sometimes we pay a very high price to be married :ne_nau:

greyhair biker
12-21-2005, 02:44 PM
...and I thought I was old! Cool! I can't even remember some of the concerts I went to but I was told they were good. :lol8: The last concert I went to was WASP opening for Judas Preist but then I didn't even like WASP at the time. I haven't been to a good concert for a really long time. Fourtycal tried to get me to go to ACDC but I coudn't get off work. Seems like every good one out gets puched away by that work word :frustrated:

greyhair biker
12-21-2005, 02:46 PM
You want to listen to something different...I just picked up ' TransSiberianOrchestra from their website...rockin christmas :rockon:

Sombeech
12-21-2005, 04:52 PM
You want to listen to something different...I just picked up ' TransSiberianOrchestra from their website...rockin christmas :rockon:

Yeah, I've had that album for a few years. The guitarist is John Petrucci is from Dream Theater. It's pretty good, and seems to grow in popularity each winter.

BTTAndy
12-21-2005, 08:10 PM
So cool! The Detroit Opera House has just finished a huge renovation. They call it "The Max" After billionaire Max Fisher.

http://www.michiganopera.org/

I have to correct myself. The Max Fisher Music Center is a different place altogether. They are within spittin distance though.

http://www.detroitsymphony.com/main.taf?p=10

TreeHugger
12-22-2005, 07:48 AM
I saw John Denver at Meadowbrook back in '72. You probably weren't even born by then.

heehee - I was in 5th grade then!

david staub
12-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Then I don't think we went together. I don't think I started dating 6th graders until I was in my 40's. :haha:

BTTAndy
12-22-2005, 08:03 AM

heehee - I was in 5th grade then!

"When the waters cleared, it was what we feared we learned nothin' new, Back in '72"
Bob Seger
You guys are all old. So, ROCK ON! :rockon:

donny h
01-08-2006, 03:22 PM
First show: heavy metal day at the US Festival '83. Motley, Quiet Riot, Ozzy, Judas, Scorpions, Triumph, and Van Halen. Over a half a million people there that day...

Best? Wow. Hmmm...Phish at Red Rocks? Blues Traveler in Taos? Or BT at the Warfield in San Fran? The Dead at Shoreline? Vegas?

I'm thinking The Doobie Brothers Vietnam Veterans Benefit show at the Hollywood Bowl was my "best" show. Every living member of the band was there, four matching white Pearle drumkits, plus a full percussion setup, a piano on each side of the stage, and nine guitarists/bassists lined up.

Sixteen Doobs.

All the Doobs playing together only happened twice, this night and the night before in Irvine. Irvine sucks however, and the Hollywood Bowl is the best venue out there. They allow bottles, picnic baskets, and ice chests.

How about the worst show you ever saw?

Some folks have been to many shows and claim they have never seen a bad one. Right.

I saw Deep Purple stink up the joint, a year after seeing them rock the house at a different venue.

I've seen Motley Crue twice, and they just suck.

I saw Bad Company without Paul Rogers, and someone owes me $30.

And the US Festival I mentioned first? David Lee Roth was so drunk on Jack that he was stumbling, mumbling, forgetting whole verses, and got into a "Chuck you, Farley" contest with folks up front. I bet 300,000 folks walked out on that band that night.

donny h
01-08-2006, 03:27 PM
"When the waters cleared, it was what we feared we learned nothin' new, Back in '72"
Bob Seger

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band don't seem to get any respect now, but I always liked that band, they are one of the soundtracks to my life.

'I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then'

david staub
01-09-2006, 12:22 PM
It's not that we haven't been to any bad concerts, we're just ashamed to admit how much money we spend on bad concerts.

Every summer my wife and I go to the OldiesFest at Franklin Covey Field. Some of those acts have not aged well. On the upside, we have seen Johnny Rivers there twice and he was great both times. On the very downside, Frankie Vallee was not only of no interest to us, but he was also really bad. He could not stay on pitch and actually had someone else hitting the high notes for him.

But we have seen Bachman Turner Overdrive and Blood, Sweat, and Tears at the OldiesFests and they were great. As were Steppenwolfe and Chuck Negron (formerly of Three Dog Night).

Other downers were Sam the Sham, Micky Dolenz, Billy J. Kramer, and the Association. It is really hard to see some of these guys get old. They keep trying to recapture the glory of their youth and it just doesn't happen. Time to grow up and move on.

savanna3313
01-09-2006, 01:27 PM
>>>I'm thinking The Doobie Brothers Vietnam Veterans Benefit show at the Hollywood Bowl was my "best" show. <<<

Wow Donnie, sounds like you and I grew up in the same era. Doobie Bros are awesome and I saw them when Michael McDonald was still with the group (early 80s) I have been privileged to see the "greats" in my lifetime :hail2thechief: Led Zeppelin, The Stones (20 yrs ago and they were old then!) :cool2: Lynyrd Skynyrd (*live* Free Bird is a memory forever) The Eagles doing their Hotel California tour, and more recently the Allman Bros at Usana amphitheater.......all were great. It surprised me to see the age range of people were at the Allman Bros concert....from teenagers to 60s-looking people. The best FREE concert I saw was held up at the Canyons summer before last, and Dave Mason did a free concert that was fantastic. He's a 60-something artist who had just been voted into the rock and roll hall of fame right before he did this show. I had seen him as a teenager back in the late 70s at a place called the Warehouse in New Orleans, and he was every bit as good in this last concert. :rockon:

donny h
01-09-2006, 01:42 PM
[quote="david staub"]It's not that we haven't been to any bad concerts, we're just ashamed to admit how much money we spend on bad concerts.
[quote]

:lol8: Now, that I believe.

[quote="david staub"]But we have seen Bachman Turner Overdrive and Blood, Sweat, and Tears at the OldiesFests and they were great. As were Steppenwolfe and Chuck Negron (formerly of Three Dog Night). [quote]

I almost included Three Dog on my best list, I saw them blow the doors off a little club in the early 90s, I was expecting mellow, folksy, 60s tunes, and what I got was loud, crunchy, hard core rock and roll. Yessssss.

America played that night as well, with the best vocal harmonies I've ever heard.

I think BTO, BS&T, and Steppenwolf are all very solid acts, I am happy to hear they are still rockin.

david staub
01-09-2006, 01:49 PM
First saw the Dogs in Detroit at the Grande Ballroom when they opened for Steppenwolfe. We had never heard of them but they blew the doors off the place. Especially loved Floyd's drum solo.

I met Chuck Negron at the OldiesFest a couple of years ago and got him to autograph his book "Three Dog Nightmare." Great book - great guy. Actually got to talk with him for about 15 minutes.

donny h
01-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Wow Donnie, sounds like you and I grew up in the same era. Doobie Bros are awesome and I saw them when Michael McDonald was still with the group (early 80s)

That was one of the nice things about that benefit, both Michael and Chester were tickling the ivory that night...Michael just has one of THOSE voices...like butter...

It surprised me to see the age range of people were at the Allman Bros concert....from teenagers to 60s-looking people.

I never saw the Allmans, if I could do the time machine thing and pick any ten shows, the Allmans would be on the list.

Ummm, I forgot a show, maybe it should be my "best", I don't know...

A guy I barely knew called me one hour before showtime to ask if I wanted to see Dylan at a theatre I have never heard of... so I jumped in the car and headed for downtown L.A.

It turns out to be a legendary show, Bob Dylan played seven straight nights at the El Ray, a 900 seater, with a different opener every night.

The crowd was a whos who of Hollywood, the whole idea behind the shows was a industry thank you party by Bob, and a release party for his new effort.

I think it worked, he won the grammy for Time Out of Mind, and his band just rocked, with a 'new' Bob out front, no makeup, no hat, no hair-in-the-face, just Bob, belting out old and new alike.

I wasn't a huge fan walking in, but I left a convert.

Oh, I saw the second to last night, with Jewel, she's a dimwit, I wish I'd seen the last night, with Van Morrison. Scalper price for the last night? (yes, we went back)

$1500+

DirkHammergate
01-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Neil Young and Crazyhorse at the Joint in Vegas 2003. I got there early to see my idol and was front row, well up against the stage. Lucinda Williams opened for him. Lets just say it didn't suck one bit.

2nd best show, Loolapolloza 1992 at Shoreline.

david staub
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
A few years ago my son and I went to see Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young at the Delta Center. I must admit, I had never been a Neil Young fan. My favorite of the group was Stills. But, Young blew all of the others away. He was amazing.

DirkHammergate
01-09-2006, 03:16 PM
A few years ago my son and I went to see Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young at the Delta Center. I must admit, I had never been a Neil Young fan. My favorite of the group was Stills. But, Young blew all of the others away. He was amazing.

I saw that concert too, I think he was showing off or something, it seemed obvious he was trying to get over on them. Oh man, he played Cowgirl in the Sand, that rocked with all four of them. I do like Stills alot, Crosby's not 1/2 bad, those are some ridiculously talent fellas.

donny h
01-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Neil Young and Crazyhorse at the Joint in Vegas 2003. I got there early to see my idol and was front row, well up against the stage. Lucinda Williams opened for him. Lets just say it didn't suck one bit.

2nd best show, Loolapolloza 1992 at Shoreline.

I know some heads that say the best show they ever saw was Neil, at The Gorge, in Washington.

Did that Loolapolloza have the Jim Rose Circus?

I'm not sure how to discuss Jim Rose without offending EVERYONE.

Puuuuuuuure freakshow.

david staub
01-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Here is a terrible rock trivia question (but true): Which member of CSN&Y auditioned for the Monkees? Hint, he was turned down because his teeth weren't straight enough and they asked if he knew of someone who looked like him but with straight teeth. He provided a name and the last member of the Monkees was recruited.

DirkHammergate
01-09-2006, 03:31 PM
I know some heads that say the best show they ever saw was Neil, at The Gorge, in Washington.

Did that Loolapolloza have the Jim Rose Circus?

I'm not sure how to discuss Jim Rose without offending EVERYONE.

Puuuuuuuure freakshow.

The Gorge show was supposed to be legendary, I saw some footage and it looked good but you can't really capture Crazyhorse magic on film. Their sound has purpose, sometimes what appears to be a repetitive piece of crap turns into something new and magical, like some of the Dead's endless jams turned into after 27 and 1/2 minutes of the same basic riff.

I think 1992 was the first year of Jim Rose and it didn't shock me like the following years. Our lineup consisted of Pearl Jam fresh of 10's debut, Ministry, Soundgarden, ICE Cube, Lush, Jesus and the Mary Chain, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I drove back home from Utah to my parents house in the Bay Area with some crack pot excuse like I was home sick just so I could hook up with my best friend to go to this show. After the show I told my old man it was time for me to look for summer employment back in Utah before my next quarter, he gave me 2 grand and I spent the next 3 weeks up in the High Uintas with my college pals.

and people wonder why I don't have a good relationship with my parents....

DirkHammergate
01-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Here is a terrible rock trivia question (but true): Which member of CSN&Y auditioned for the Monkees? Hint, he was turned down because his teeth weren't straight enough and they asked if he knew of someone who looked like him but with straight teeth. He provided a name and the last member of the Monkees was recruited.

I think it was Graham Nash

david staub
01-09-2006, 03:37 PM
It was actually Stills and he recruited Peter Tork for them. They did kind of look alike back then. I have the rock 'n roll encyclopedias at home and way too much time on my hands.

DirkHammergate
01-09-2006, 03:41 PM
It was actually Stills and he recruited Peter Tork for them. They did kind of look alike back then. I have the rock 'n roll encyclopedias at home and way too much time on my hands.

No, no, no, you can never have too much time for the Rock N Roll encyclopedias while listening to good music. I could blow my whole life on three things, music, camping, and substances (my wife included, she an intoxicant)...

DirkHammergate
01-09-2006, 03:44 PM

I was going to go with Pretty boy Stills but that seemed too obvious and I had thought I'd heard it was Nash, Stills is part of the ever famous "More Barn" incident when Neil was playing him back a first time wired up version of Cowgirl. Have you heard that one?

david staub
01-10-2006, 05:52 AM
No, tell me about it. I know that Stills and Young have always had a love/hate relationship. When they were together in Buffalo Springfield, Young was screwing around while Stills was singing a song. Stills put down his guitar and punched out Young.

Also, they fought over Judy Collins. She was the inspiration for their song Sweet Judy Blue Eyes.

DirkHammergate
01-10-2006, 06:05 AM
I've seen two different accounts of it but the story is basically the same, the first was with Stills and Nash playing Powderfinger and Neil wired up his barn and house on his ranch with giant stereo speakers. He had rowed out to the middle of his pond and would scream back which needed adjusting, "I need MORE BARN!" or "I need MORE HOUSE!"

The other account is with him and Graham Nash doing the same thing when he finished up Harvest.

Stills got pretty frustrated with Neil, actually I think they all did because he was so ornary and did whatever the hell he wanted and didn't care what his bandmates thought. Fighting over music and women and stupid, stupid details drove them to hate on each other. A good book on Neil is his "official" autobiography called Shakey. He's a king sized jerk but what can I say, he's my musical idol.

david staub
01-10-2006, 06:08 AM
My biggest disappointment with him came in 1980 when he supported Reagan in the election.

DirkHammergate
01-10-2006, 06:25 AM
My biggest disappointment with him came in 1980 when he supported Reagan in the election.

He's a weirdo, he does his own thing, plus he was in a huge slump in the early to mid 80's.

savanna3313
01-10-2006, 08:29 AM
CSN & Y are the best......the Deja Vu album (yes....ALBUM when it first came out) and So Far are classics. I saw C S & N when they performed at Usana this past August and they were excellent! Their vocals were still so strong. Nothing worse than going to see an artist you love, and they can't cut it anymore vocally. Neil Young is a character, and I have read many things that make me dislike him as a person, but his music is one of a kind.