PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Springs

nitmik
10-14-2005, 02:07 PM
So I got off work early yesterday(got braces put in) and I went riding from my house in Draper to the west side of Utah Lake. It was a nice ride through Lehi and out to Saratoga Springs, but once you get on the main road that runs we of the lake it was busy. No shoulder to ride on and lots of fast moving trucks. does anyone have any good routes on the northern part of Utah County?

mroy
10-15-2005, 10:40 AM
That sucks you got braces on, well, it's good in a way, but I'm sure you know by now the pain & misery that awaits you over the next couple years. With mine I schedule my appointments for after major rides & vacations just so I'll be able to eat a Clif bar & bite down on my hydration mouthpiece. I'm almost to the 1 year mark & it's gotten better.

I don't know if you want to try riding on the Jordan River Parkway section that goes through Thanksgiving Point, but if you want to avoid traffic, it's a great option. It goes all the way from the lake up to the northern most point of the golf course. From there you can cross a bridge & go up a road by the military base, or find your way to a road through Thanksgiving Point before you get to the end. When I rode it about 2 years ago there weren't that many people on it, but who knows today.

nitmik
10-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Yeah, braces suck big time, I've ridden the Jordan river parkway a bunch of times, but I have the worst luck on the path. I've had about five flat tires (damn thorns) and hit one stupid kid who could not walk on the right side. So I try to avoid that at all costs. I think the route the ULCER takes might be one of the best ones through that area. I just get amazed how busy that road is on the west side of the lake. I remeber the first ULCER I did back in 95, no one drove out there.

DickHead
10-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Camp williams rd. sucks for cycling. I'd avoid it at all costs anywhere south of the base.

nitmik
10-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Camp williams rd. sucks for cycling. I'd avoid it at all costs anywhere south of the base.

Yeah, the Utah county side of this road scares the hell out of me. No shoulder to ride on and people are driving fast as hell. I won't ride on it.