PDA

View Full Version : The Harvest

Sombeech
10-10-2005, 07:16 PM
There's gonna be a lot of spitting this winter.

This is my first year growing sunflowers, and also harvesting the seeds. I'm going to get a little creative on the seed flavors, of course after I learn the basics of "preparing" them.

Any suggestions out there? :ne_nau: Anybody baked their own sunflower seeds? I think I have a general idea to let them dry, then soak them in salt water, then bake them.

That's about all I know. I must have over 10,000 seeds to go through.

I think we would all like to see your homegrown crops from this year. Any "dandies" or Blue Ribbon winners out there? Let's see 'em from you "self sustaining" folk!!

DickHead
10-10-2005, 07:40 PM
http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/images/pot_grow.jpg

Its been a good year.

:lol8:

Seriously, I don't grow shit. No garden, no flowers, nada. I barely keep up with my yard!

nitmik
10-11-2005, 08:04 AM
http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/images/pot_grow.jpg

Its been a good year.

:lol8:

Seriously, I don't grow shit. No garden, no flowers, nada. I barely keep up with my yard!

That's what you call a banner year!

accadacca
10-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Yeah the secret is out Jamis..... :lol8:

Shan
10-12-2005, 02:04 PM
LOL, JJ!!

Sombeech those are huge! We used to make teepees out of the stalks when we were little. Wait who am I kidding, I did this last fall!

I don't know how to prepare them. Maybe do a google?

accadacca
10-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Who is the dude with the mop top? :lol8:

http://uutah.com/forum/files/harvest__1_.jpg

Sombeech
10-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Who is the dude with the mop top?

Good for Disco
:afro:

Good for Rockin'
:rockit:

But best of all, good for gettin' the ladeez.
:banana:

Black Mage
10-15-2005, 06:13 PM
I will be trying to grow sunflowers myself next season. It always blows me away to see how big those things get. I love sunflower seeds, but I find that the commercial ones are too salty. Once I start eating them, I can never stop until the bag is empty, and I get to spend the next two weeks with a mouth full of kanker sores. So hopefully if I do them myself I will be able to make them less salty.

I did try chiles this summer, but I found that I never used them enough to warrant growing them.

Instead, my harvest this year is wild elderberries. I found these today while hiking.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a267/Motzart120/100_0436.jpg

I will not get another cold this winter.

Sombeech
10-15-2005, 08:12 PM
I will be trying to grow sunflowers myself next season. It always blows me away to see how big those things get.

Yeah, no kidding man. I grew these this year for the first time, and was blown away. It only took about 2 1/2 months for them to grow 9' tall!

http://uutah.com/forum/files/8_193.jpg

They are great for a "neighbor" block, or some privacy plants. I also planted these along the back fence, and it secluded our back yard.

I won't be planting as many next year though. They really hog all of the nutrients from nearby plants.

I'm thinking of planting some kind of fruit tree, but I don't want to put up with the mess on the lawn. Any suggestions out there?

Sombeech
11-05-2005, 05:10 PM
I finally got around to cooking my sunflower seeds. I sat out on the patio today, and picked the seeds from the flower, and put them in this huge 20" bowl. I only got through half of the flowers, and was like "screw it, that's enough flippin seeds" when I filled the bowl completely full.

I washed them in the sink, put them back in the bowl, and dumped some salt in there. Also some garlic salt. I put the first batch in the oven on a cookie sheet at 350 deg. Our oven has speed bake, so I left them in there for about 20 minutes. This could have been a little too long as they were turning brown, but they still turned out pretty good. I'm amazed, since I'm guessing my way through this.

I'm in the middle of my second batch, in which I used garlic salt, and that popcorn butter topping.

My third batch, the same, but with some tobasco sauce! :twisted: We'll see how that turns out.

Iceaxe
11-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Its been a good year.

Damn..... you beat me to the punch.... the minute I read the opeening post I knew where this thread was heading :2thumbs:

Glockguy
11-05-2005, 09:43 PM
I will be trying to grow sunflowers myself next season. It always blows me away to see how big those things get. I love sunflower seeds, but I find that the commercial ones are too salty. Once I start eating them, I can never stop until the bag is empty, and I get to spend the next two weeks with a mouth full of kanker sores. So hopefully if I do them myself I will be able to make them less salty.

I did try chiles this summer, but I found that I never used them enough to warrant growing them.

Instead, my harvest this year is wild elderberries. I found these today while hiking.

Wow where are those from?

Black Mage
11-06-2005, 03:04 PM

Wow where are those from?

I found these up around Ogden Canyon, but you can find them in most of the canyons. Anywhere that's cool, moist, and near water. It's a bit late, but you can probably still find them. Actually, I just got back from Beus Canyon and saw some along the upper portion fo the trail. I thought about getting some, but the trees were about 20 feet down a 60 degree slope, so I just decided to let them go.

If you do go elderberry hunting, though, keep a few things in mind.

1. Never eat green berries, they have cyanide in them.
2. Don't eat the red berried found at high elevation, they can also make you sick.
3. Even ripe purple berries have a minute amount of cyanide in them, but cooking the berried before eating will remove the toxins.
4. You can still eat the berries raw, but don't go eating a bucket full of 'em, the cyanide can still make you very sick.

derstuka
11-08-2005, 03:49 PM
I finally got around to cooking my sunflower seeds. I sat out on the patio today, and picked the seeds from the flower, and put them in this huge 20" bowl. I only got through half of the flowers, and was like "screw it, that's enough flippin seeds" when I filled the bowl completely full.

I washed them in the sink, put them back in the bowl, and dumped some salt in there. Also some garlic salt. I put the first batch in the oven on a cookie sheet at 350 deg. Our oven has speed bake, so I left them in there for about 20 minutes. This could have been a little too long as they were turning brown, but they still turned out pretty good. I'm amazed, since I'm guessing my way through this.

I'm in the middle of my second batch, in which I used garlic salt, and that popcorn butter topping.

My third batch, the same, but with some tobasco sauce! :twisted: We'll see how that turns out.

What, no BBQ seeds??? C'mon, those are the best, IMO, never have tried tabasco though.

Sombeech
11-08-2005, 08:22 PM
What, no BBQ seeds??? C'mon, those are the best, IMO, never have tried tabasco though.

Yeah, I know. I only made what I could from looking in the kitchen. Who knows how they would have turned out if I would have dumped some A1 in the bowl.

I've actually impressed myself though. All three batches and flavors turned out pretty good. The tabasco gives a little zing when you wouldn't expect it.

I keep them at work. There's been a crowd at my desk lately. :popcorn: