PDA

View Full Version : Scary Flicks -- My Picks -- Conclusion

rockgremlin
10-08-2005, 04:09 PM
In the spirit of October and Halloween (refering to a previous post), I'm gonna check out 3 scary movies per week for the entire month of October. I am hoping to review ones that I have never seen before. I have been asking around, and consulting movie review sites looking for the best scary movies around. I'll post my weekly results here, and by the end of the month I'll post the overall results -- which one/s I thought were the scariest. All results are posted on a scale of ten.

Week 1

1. Jacobs Ladder (1990) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

One of my all-time favorites. This was actually the second time I saw it. I liked it so much the first time that I ran out and bought it. Some people think it's got a cop-out ending, but I don't think so. It's very psychotic horror, full of images that make you wonder, then shudder.

Gore Factor: 5
Horror/Suspense Factor: 7

2. The Forgotten (2005) :sleeping:

LAME, LAME, LAME!!! This stinker was like a 90-minute episode of the X-files, only with no storyline, poor acting, and no elements of horror nor suspense. Very soon this movie will become like it's title.

Gore Factor: 0
Horror/Suspense Factor: 0

3. The Tenant (1976) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

What is it about the 1970's and psychotic horror?! This one is slow going -- it takes about 45 minutes for things to really pick up, but once it does, it's a real mindjob. It kind of reminded me of Hitchcock's "Psycho." I enjoyed this one. It wasn't too creepy, but just enough to be oddly disturbing.

Gore Factor: 1

Coming up for week two: Rosemary's Baby, The Changeling, and ___________ (haven't decided yet).

Sombeech
10-08-2005, 08:47 PM
I also liked Jacob's Ladder. I saw it when I was about 14, and always kept it in my mind.

KillEmAll
10-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Sombeech, I think you, me and Chivato went to see that over at the old Newgate theater. I wasn't sure what was going on in it, but it's stuck with me too.

Sombeech
10-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Yep, that's exactly when we saw it. We were sneaking into a rated R movie underage. I had to lie to my parents and say we saw "the Gods Must be Crazy Two".

That was the dollar movies I think.

accadacca
10-08-2005, 09:15 PM
You rebels... :haha:

Sombeech
10-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Yeah, it showed boobs too.

rockgremlin
10-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Week 2

1. The Changeling (1979) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

A classic haunted house story about the spirit of a young boy hell-bent on revenge. After a somewhat slow start, this one is full of creepy and suspenseful scenes. The last 5 minutes kind of go off the deep end though.

Gore Factor: 3
Horror/Suspense Factor: 8

2. Rosemary's Baby(1968) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

There's a reason why many film critics assert that Rosemary's Baby is quite possibly the scariest horror film ever made. This film is very creepy. Just like all good horror films, this one starts out slow, developing the characters and their roles, and then in the end traumatizes the viewer with horrific scenarios. One noteworthy bonus is that a young Mia Farrow is nude for a good portion of the film. :2thumbs: This one replaced Jacob's Ladder for the number four spot on my all-time favorite horror films list.

Gore Factor: 1
Horror/Suspense Factor: 9

3. Paperhouse(1988) :thumb:

This is an English flick, and hasn't quite made it to DVD yet. No other video rental store had it except The Tower, and they only had it on VHS. Needless to say, it wasn't worth all of the trouble to track it down. This film was mediocre at best, and was only slightly scary during the first half of the movie, and then not scary at all during the last half. In fact, the last half was LAME! The only people who MIGHT be frightened by this movie would be sheltered 15-yr-old girls (who fall asleep during the last half of the movie). I'm kinda regretting that I didn't fall asleep during the entire thing!

Horror/Suspense Factor: 3

Superriffic S*
10-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Week 2

1. The Changeling (1979) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

A classic haunted house story about the spirit of a young boy hell-bent on revenge. After a somewhat slow start, this one is full of creepy and suspenseful scenes. The last 5 minutes kind of go off the deep end though.

Gore Factor: 3

I have always wanted to see The Changeling. Do you have Rosemary's baby? I have always wanted to see that too. I think that you need to watch those kind of movies on a BIG screen... like 65 inches of viewing love! (smells like a hint to me, how about you?)

S*

rockgremlin
10-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Do you have Rosemary's baby? I have always wanted to see that too. I think that you need to watch those kind of movies on a BIG screen... like 65 inches of viewing love! (smells like a hint to me, how about you?)
S*

I do have Rosemary's Baby. I've got it till Thursday. Let's get together sometime before then. :2thumbs:

Superriffic S*
10-11-2005, 05:32 PM
I have a couple scary flicks that I am going to watch this week.

Paperhouse - Made in 1988, was an art film but had lots of critical acclaim. It scared the begeezes out of me when I was a kid. I want to see if it still has the same effect.

The Hitcher - Ahh, Rutger. All I remember about this was watching it with my borther and being scared $hitless in the big car chase sequence.

I also am wanting to see al the classics this year that I haven't ever seen before you know, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th... etc, etc...

S*

rockgremlin
10-11-2005, 05:48 PM
I think I should designate a standard by which I am measuring these movies that I am reviewing. Each movie I watch is being compared to my top four all-time favorite horror films, which are the following:

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)

What distinguishes this one from the other "slasher" movies such as Friday 13th, and Halloween? How about all of those demented scenes with the old man in the wheelchair, the hammer and the bucket, animal carcasses strewn about, furniture made from human and animal parts, and that freak hitchhiker (who slashes his own hand - remember?). This film is sickeningly scary!

Gore factor: 10
Horror/Suspense factor: 10

2. The Shining

Jack Nicholson pulls off a frightening performance as a family man gone crazy in this movie based on a Stephen King novel. At times I thought Jack was legitimatley crazy (not just acting). Who can forget such scenes as "REDRUM," the blood tidal wave, and "...all work and no play make Jack a dull boy?" Awesome!

Gore factor: 7

3. Carrie

Another Stephen King novel put to video. The scariest part of this movie was at the very end. Remember when Carrie's mother goes crazy? Terrifying!!

Gore factor: 6
Horror/Suspense factor: 8

4. Jacobs Ladder

One of my all-time favorites. Some people think it's got a cop-out ending, but I don't think so. It's very psychotic horror, full of images that make you wonder, then shudder.

Superriffic S*
10-11-2005, 06:05 PM
1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)
Gore factor: 9

2. The Shining
Gore factor: 7

3. Carrie
Gore factor: 6
Horror/Suspense factor: 8

4. Jacobs Ladder

Okay, of those movies I would have to say that the one that stuck with me the most was Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It hurt sooo good. I HATED it, but loved it too. I don't want to find the ultimate scary movie. I just want to find and watch movies that will give me a scary thrill for this wonderful month of October that we are in right now. I think that the range of scary movies that I will be watching will be waaay out of the rockgremlin range. (how come you think you are the scary movie connoisseur all of the sudden?) :hail2thechief:

rockgremlin
10-11-2005, 06:29 PM
(how come you think you are the scary movie connoisseur all of the sudden?)

I always have been (at least during the month of October). By the sound of it, you are too.

Superriffic S*
10-11-2005, 06:39 PM
(how come you think you are the scary movie connoisseur all of the sudden?)

I always have been (at least during the month of October). By the sound of it, you are too.

Yeah, maybe... but you wanna know the difficult thing with wanting to watch scary movies is that NO ONE wants to watch them with me! I can't watch movies that will potentially make me piss my pants by myself. Sorry, can't bring myself to do that. I do love a good nail biting, I can't watch, kind of movie but, I need other people to want to watch those kinds of movies too in order for it to be fun and not send me to bed afraid to close my eyes.

S*

Wasatch Rebel
10-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Many people say The Ring is the scariest movie they've ever seen. I haven't seen it, so I can't vouch for it, but my son says it was very creepy.

I think Alien is real frightening--though it's not the traditional horror flick.

Shane

rockgremlin
10-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Many people say The Ring is the scariest movie they've ever seen. I haven't seen it, so I can't vouch for it, but my son says it was very creepy.

I think Alien is real frightening--though it's not the traditional horror flick.

Shane

The Ring is pretty creepy. It's only flaw is that it's WWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYY TTTOOOOOOOO LLLLLOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGG!!! If they would have ended it an hour sooner, it probably would've been better. Other than that, I would rate it pretty high on the horror factor (7 or 8).

Alien is another classic. It's not the conventional scary movie with axe-killers, werewolves, or living dead, but it definitely is an effective thriller.

nitmik
10-14-2005, 01:33 PM
How about the blair witch project, not sure if it's real scarey, but I thought it was pretty good the first time I watched it.

rockgremlin
10-14-2005, 01:42 PM
How about the blair witch project, not sure if it's real scarey, but I thought it was pretty good the first time I watched it.

Another pretty good one. The scariest part was the final 2 minutes. -- Why is she standing in the corner?! Is she dead? What the hell is going on?!

Awesome!!

Has anyone seen the Blair Witch 2? I heard it was lame.

nitmik
10-14-2005, 01:44 PM

Another pretty good one. The scariest part was the final 2 minutes. -- Why is she standing in the corner?! Is she dead? What the hell is going on?!

Awesome!!

The whole basement thing was pretty scary, I also heard the second one was not worth watching.

Superriffic S*
10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
OK rock, lemme hear your take on Paperhouse... Now that you've had a night to process it.

rockgremlin
10-14-2005, 01:50 PM
I've already posted it. Check out the Week 2 review on page one.

Superriffic S*
10-14-2005, 01:55 PM
3. Paperhouse(1988) :thumb:

This is an English flick, and hasn't quite made it to DVD yet. No other video rental store had it except The Tower, and they only had it on VHS. Needless to say, it wasn't worth all of the trouble to track it down. This film was mediocre at best, and was only slightly scary during the first half of the movie, and then not scary at all during the last half. In fact, the last half was LAME! The only people who MIGHT be frightened by this movie would be sheltered 15-yr-old girls (who fall asleep during the last half of the movie). I'm kinda regretting that I didn't fall asleep during the entire thing!

Horror/Suspense Factor: 3

You dork! That 15-year-old bit is MINE!!! That was ME! I still like it and I am sticking to it. The dream sequences are creepy. Tell me that you wouldn't wake up from a dream like that and not have to take a couple deep breaths!?

James_B_Wads2000
10-14-2005, 04:14 PM

OMFG Blair Witch 2 is one of the worse movies ever. I have a rule that I never walk out of a movie that I have paid for. Well it is a good thing that the tickets were given to me, making Blair Witch 2 one of only about five movies I have ever walked out on in my whole life.

James

rockgremlin
10-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Wow! That's pretty bad!! You'd probably walk out on Paperhouse too. I don't know why Superiffic is sticking to her guns. :ne_nau:

Sombeech
10-14-2005, 08:13 PM
I saw Blair Witch 1 in the theaters. This is when all those rumors were going around that it was a true story, and they dug up that footage.

So, I watched it thinking it was real. Holy Sh*t did that scare me!! I don't think I've EVER been more scared during a movie.

Of course, that's because I thought it was real, because it had just come out. If I watch it now, sure it would be creepy, but would never scare me again.

rockgremlin
10-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Week 3

1. The Devil's Backbone (2001) :thumb: :sleeping:

This is a Spanish film, and so obviously all of the dialogue is in Spanish with English subtitles. This film is the classic "ghost coming back to take revenge on his killer" flick. Geez, ever since this theme was introduced by Shakespeare (Hamlet), storytellers through the ages have never ceased to copy the idea, altering only minor details. The Devil's Backbone has a few jumpy moments, and a little suspense, but in the end, it's the same boring ghost story we've all seen a thousand times before. Can't someone come up with an original ghost story (besides Steven King)? :ne_nau:

Gore Factor: 4
Horror/Suspense Factor: 5

2. Don't Look Now (1974) :sleeping:

This one was like an Agatha Christy movie, with a ten-minute sex scene, and a really bizarre ending. If it weren't for the sex scene, this one wouldn't have hardly anything going for it (no wonder it was 10 minutes long!). In fact, I fell asleep twice during this one. There are a few creepy scenes, but overall it was pretty dull.

Gore Factor: 2
Horror/Suspense Factor: 4

3. Audition (2001) :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Awesome halloween flick!!!!! This one is about as sick as they come!! If you're out to see a good horror flick that makes you squirm, rent Audition! One really great thing about this movie is that it is so underrated. Noone has ever heard of it. Possibly the reason for that is because it's a Japanese flick, with English subtitles. This one makes The Ring look like an episode of the Teletubbies. Very creepy, very gory, very sadistic. Awesome!!!

Gore Factor: 9

BTW, Superrific S's new Avatar is the DVD Cover for Audition.

nitmik
10-24-2005, 08:04 AM
I watched Friday the 13th on AMC over the weekend, I never realized how bad the acting was.

rockgremlin
10-24-2005, 10:57 AM
I watched Friday the 13th on AMC over the weekend, I never realized how bad the acting was.

ya, well really the only reason to watch the friday the 13th series is for the blood and boobies. :2thumbs:

nitmik
10-24-2005, 11:10 AM
and boobies. :2thumbs:

And the Number one reason is? haha

rockgremlin
10-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Kind of a late submission for week three here. Superrific and I got together last night and watched Takashi Miike's "Audition." Oh my FREAKING HELLLLL!!!! Here's the synopsis:

3. Audition (2001) :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Awesome halloween flick!!!!! This one is about as sick as they come!! If you're out to see a good horror flick that makes you squirm, rent Audition! One really great thing about this movie is that it is so underrated. Noone has ever heard of it. Possibly the reason for that is because it's a Japanese flick, with English subtitles. This one makes The Ring look like an episode of the Teletubbies. Very creepy, very gory, very sadistic. Awesome!!! The next time you hear someone calling a cat saying "Kitty, kitty, kitty" -- you'll shudder!!

Gore Factor: 9

Superriffic S*
10-27-2005, 02:38 PM

Okay, I'll add my own comments here... That movie scared the $hit out of me! I turned into a black person, yelling at the TV (as my husband says, no offense to any black people that may post on here, but you know you do it). I about peed my pants 3 or 4 times during the movie. It's all about the characters (much like the Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby) and they don't make scary movies about the characters anymore. You care about the people in this movie and what will happen to them. It is definitely one of those scary movies to be added to the collection. :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
10-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Week 4 lineup, I got them just today -- Hey Superiffic, you got the balls to watch these?

Week 4

1. Suspiria (1977) :eek2: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

As horror flicks go, this was a MAJOR LETDOWN! As comedies go, this one was awesome!! I laughed my ass off throughout the entire thing. It starts out with a very violent and over-the-top bloody gory opening scene. From there, the acting and the plot is so categorically bad that all of the blood and gore in the world couldn't make it scary. For example, the film is supposed to take place in Germany, but all of the main characters are Italian (because the director Dario Argento is Italian). I REALLY wanted it to be scary at first, but then after the first 30 minutes of utter ridiculousness, I just resigned myself to the fact that I was watching a comedy and not a horror film. Surprisingly this one got many good reviews, and I'm still unsure why? :ne_nau:

Gore Factor: 10
Horror/Suspense Factor: 1
Comedic Value: 8

2. The Exorcist - Director's Cut (2000) "The version you've never seen" :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

There's a reason why The Exorcist is considered by many to be the scariest movie they have ever seen. I wholeheartedly agree with that assertion. Everything about this movie is well done - the acting, the directing, the lighting, the camera angles, the sound (which won an Oscar back in 1973 BTW). All that, and it is just PURELY HORRIFIC. Very few movies make you so exquisitely uncomfortable as The Exorcist. If you truly want to be scared, see this movie. This was the Director's Cut, which means it was the original movie plus 11 minutes of material that never made it into the theatrical version. I defy anyone to watch The Exorcist and deny that it is one of the scariest movies ever made!!

Gore Factor: 8
Horror/Suspense Factor: 10

3. The Hitcher (1985) :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Wow! Rutger Hauer makes an EXCELLENT psycho killer! I still can't figure out why he kills everyone but spares that kid though? After a while, you realize that the Hitcher isn't gonna actually kill off the main character, and so much of the suspense goes out of the film at that point. Why be scared for the main character if you know that ultimately he's not gonna be killed? What was the "lesson" that the Hitcher was trying to teach that kid? I still can't figure it out, and those questions detract from the overall suspense of the movie. Pretty good popcorn movie, although not really a scary movie in the typical horror film sense.

Horror/Suspense Factor: 5

Superriffic S*
10-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Week 4 lineup, I got them just today -- Hey Superiffic, you got the balls to watch these?

Week 4

1. Suspiria (1977)

2. The Exorcist (1973)

3. The Hitcher (1985)

I haven't ever heard of Suspiria, you know my feelings on The Exorcist and The Hitcher I have seen. I believe I recommended it to you. Maybe tomorrow night we could watch one. Depending on how much vodka you put in that bloody mary sauce... It could even be The Exorcist. :nod:

rockgremlin
10-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Suspiria is considered by some as one of the scariest movies ever made. Here's a link or two about it:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1020662-suspiria/

http://www.urbanchillers.com/top10chillers.asp

Superriffic S*
10-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Suspiria is considered by some as one of the scariest movies ever made. Here's a link or two about it:

Well, bring it tomorrow and we'll watch it. I dunno how many people will be interested in watching it, so it might have to be the ender to the evening... you know, when everyone goes home (at least the wusses). I could see a few people sticking around to watch it with us.

ooooh, sounds good and CREEPY!!! I LOVE HALLOWEEN!!! :ahhh:

rockgremlin
10-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Ok, I took my scary flicks with me over to Superriffic's party. BTW, it was a fun party, and ya'll missed out if you weren't there! We watched two of the three. I must say, Suspiria was a MAJOR letdown!! The Hitcher was good, but not really scary (in the typical horror movie sense). I still can't figure out what The Hitcher's motives were. :ne_nau:

Check out my above post for the movie reviews.

nitmik
10-31-2005, 07:54 AM
I finally watched he Shinning this weekend, it was so cool, I also watched the remake that was done in 97, it sucked.

rockgremlin
10-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Ya, Kubrick's original version done back in 1980 is truly a masterpiece. Remakes are almost always a piss-poor version of the original.

Superriffic S*
10-31-2005, 11:46 AM
Ok, I took my scary flicks with me over to Superriffic's party. BTW, it was a fun party, and ya'll missed out if you weren't there! We watched two of the three. I must say, Suspiria was a MAJOR letdown!! The Hitcher was good, but not really scary (in the typical horror movie sense). I still can't figure out what The Hitcher's motives were. :ne_nau:

Check out my above post for the movie reviews.

I have to agree with rockgremlin on Suspiria... I tought I was going to piss my pants, because I was laughing so hard the entire time. There were a couple moments that I was scared because of typical scary movie cliche things, such as loud music and something jumping out at you when you least expect it... but other than that it was laughable. :lol8:

The Hitcher I just enjoy... Rutger is seriously PSYCHO!!! I love it! I wanna watch another rockgremlin... you busy later tonight to watch one more on this Hallow's Eve? :eek2:

rockgremlin
11-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Ok, I watched the final movie for the month of October - The Exorcist (see review above), and have ranked all of the movies I watched this month together with my all time favorite horror flicks. The following is a final ranking of the scariest movies in order from one to ten. I ranked them according to the Horror/Suspense factors, and then used the gore factor in the event of a tie. Here's how it shook out:

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
2. The Exorcist
3. The Shining
4. Rosemary's Baby
5. Audition
6. Carrie
7. The Changeling
8. Jacob's Ladder
9. The Tenant
10. The Hitcher

Looks like a pretty good list to me. I hope this review has been somewhat entertaining and useful. I had a lot of fun putting it together, and look forward to doing another review with different movies next October! :2thumbs:

Superriffic S*
11-01-2005, 02:07 PM
I have decided on my rating system for scary movies: The movies that give me nightmares are the scariest of all.

So, these are the most scary movies I have seen:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Exorcist

I haven't been so freaked out while watching movies as I was with both of these. There are a couple scenes in The Exorcist that I think will be imbedded in my head for the rest of my life. I don't think I could watch it again. And, Texas Chainsaw Massacre... just when you think it's over, it just begins. I had serious nightmares with both these films. Hopefully I will sleep better tonight.

asdf
10-23-2006, 12:46 PM
No Army of Darkness or Evil Dead?

Glockguy
10-23-2006, 01:07 PM
The only flick i ever saw that actually fraked me out was "The Vanishing " iIt is a bit old and has Sandra Bullock (for abit) and also chubby Keith Sutherland.

You got to go see this one. It makes you think....What would I do in that situation.

Sombeech
10-23-2006, 01:26 PM
28 Days Later was pretty good, interesting concepts.

I think it was the first movie where the "zombies" are actually running after the characters, instead of the traditional "trudge and moan". That made the scenes more intense.

Scott P
10-23-2006, 01:42 PM
I thought Aliens was pretty scary when I was a kid. Haven't seen it for a long time.

asdf
10-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Thats a good list, I would add "House of a Thousand Corpses" and anything from the Evil Dead series (not scary but they rock!)

stefan
11-07-2006, 06:11 PM
well you might have some more to include on your lists ...

http://www.horrorfestonline.com/

it's funny how many theatres it'll be playing at in utah, compared with other places.

apparently utahns like to be scared shitless and see vile gore. :2thumbs: