PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Moab Rim trail pics

greyhair biker
10-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Moab Rim is one of my favorites- or at least it was until the lift was taken out. Here are a few pics from that trip.

greyhair biker
10-07-2005, 10:36 PM
found another pic of the ladder park on top. Good Air :nod:

Sombeech
10-08-2005, 08:50 PM
So, they took that chairlift down that takes you up there? Didn't they only put that up about 6 years ago?

BTW, cool pics.

greyhair biker
10-09-2005, 06:05 AM
I guess someone from Calif. came & made an offer - I didn't know EVERYTHING had to be a big money maker...I though it was a cool idea & got alot of people up there that otherwise would never make the trip. If I find more pics I'll post 'em.

REDFOX
10-18-2005, 12:19 PM
I have enjoyed riding the moab rim trail as well. It has been about 4 years since I have ridden this trail. I like the latter that is on the picture above. I wonder if it is still there. Here is a picture of me practicing for the October downhill race that year.

greyhair biker
11-09-2005, 03:44 AM
Yeah ! :2thumbs: Keep the freeride pics coming! :popcorn:

mroy
11-09-2005, 08:23 AM
I thought I read a while ago about an environmentalist group that was raising the funds to buy it so they could take it out and restore the area back to what it was & protect the land, plants & animals that are up on the rim from the increased numbers of visitors the lift generated. So either that group succeeded, or another guy just came in to do the same thing. When I read about that, I wasn't surprised at all. Moab seems to be teeming with those types nowadays, well, lots of other types too, but the environmentalists presence is easily detected there.

Sombeech
11-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Moab is the perfect war zone for the two opposing sides.

greyhair biker
11-09-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm an environmentalist in the sense that I think everyone should be able to get out in the outdoors and have fun..be responsible and make sure your lift kit can handle the rock, your motorcycle is geared low enough to crawl slickrock AND you don't forget your spare rock wheels for your mountainbike! :mrgreen:

accadacca
11-10-2005, 07:45 AM
I'm an environmentalist in the sense that I think everyone should be able to get out in the outdoors and have fun..be responsible and make sure your lift kit can handle the rock, your motorcycle is geared low enough to crawl slickrock AND you don't forget your spare rock wheels for your mountainbike! :mrgreen:
:lol8: Nice points grey hair...... :five:

SprungShoulders
11-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Actually, the lift was never profitable. The owner decided to cut his losses and bail, and an "environmental group" purchased the land from him.

As far as I know, all the stunts are gone, and the lift is slated to be dismantled and removed.

The Rim was definitely fun. Both to race and to play on. Always hard on equipment and bodies. And the mile-long pedal from the bottom back to the lift kinda sucked in full armor and 90+ degree temps.

In the case of the Rim, environmental interests weren't at the root of its failure as an MTB park. You certainly can't fault the conservation group that bought the land fair-and-square. They didn't cause the lift's financial failure. Someone else could have certainly bought the business and kept the lift and MTB park up and running if it would have been a good business decision. It obviously wasn't, so nobody did. Oh well.

Now, if the Redrock Wildeness Act takes Porcupine from us, then THAT will be something to scream about....

greyhair biker
11-11-2005, 07:27 AM
The trouble is that there weren't enough of the right groups or people out there at the right time to purchase this area..the communication network that could have prevented it wasn't in place SO consequently, those with their 'finger' on the pulse already caught the ball and ran with it. This statement tells you where my thinking is I guess but having been in business all my life I can see why things happened the way they did. I don't make the same purchases up here in my neck of the woods precisely for the same reason...insufficient capital :ne_nau:

Sombeech
11-11-2005, 04:51 PM
So, did they physically take the lift OUT? Or did they just stop running it, and left it standing?

greyhair biker
11-11-2005, 04:56 PM
This year I noticed the entire thing is gone...no trace of lift but I didn't get up top to see if the ladder park is still up