PDA

View Full Version : I haven't biked since July!

Shan
09-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Well, I'm not counting my measly 5 mile commute to work by bike which I still can manage. I mean real mountain biking!

This stinks! I have been having knee problems ever since I took up telemark skiing this past winter. Ever since, everything I do was hurting so I finally saw the doc. I have patellarfemoral pain (runner's knee), patellar tendonitis (jumper's knee) and bursitis! Yeah in BOTH knees. I don't even run or jump.

So it's been over a month now that I've been going to physical therapy and doing home exercises. I got worse! Now they are increasing the frequency of PT, and starting all over "easy" now.

I am depressed. I hope I am ready to ski in 2-2.5 months.

Think happy thoughts for my knees, please.

TreeHugger
09-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Ahh, Shan that stinks!!

Lots of ice and Ibuprofen - seems like cycling would be good for it - strengthen the connective tissue - are there any limitations, or does it just hurt to ride? Maybe more road?

Take care!! And good luck!!

Karen

accadacca
09-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Yeah that SUCKS!!!! I hurt my knee last winter and it took FOREVER to heal. A small piece of cartilage broke off from my knee and I guess those types of injuries take the longest to heal. The doc ended up giving me something to help it heal. I did not go to the doc until after 2 months of NO progress. :roll: I just didn't think it was problem until it wouldn't heal. Good luck to ya....... :2thumbs:

Sombeech
09-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Good luck with your knees. I blame my knee for 30 lbs I've gained. Well, that and McDonalds.

Shan
09-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Thanks, I do hope I get better soon. Yeah, most people say biking is therapy for knees, but sometimes my little commute hurts too. I just can't push hard, only easy spinning. Luckily my commute is generally flat.

Unfortunately, I am allergic to all anti-inflammatories - like anaphylactic shock, and ER and LifeFlight helicopter allergic! I think that has something to do with me not getting better (not being able to take NSAIDs); the swelling never goes down all the way. But I do ice it when it's convenient.

Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
10-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Shan,

Are you riding a bike which was properly fitted? Ive done an absurd amount of damage to my knees through the years, and having been racer, coach, team mech', and intructor I've come to realize MANY people don't take bike-fit seriously enough. Knees, hips, backs, shoulders and etc are often talking to us about fit, but most of us ignore them.

My friend Mike Hanseen at Canyon Bicycles in SLC is probably the best bike-fitter in the state (maybe even better than me), and has saved more than a few riders a lot of pain, as well as helping improve performance. Give 'im a call some time. :2thumbs:

By the way, a couple handfuls of almonds will help with swelling, and probably won't make your throat swell-shut. :roll:

Shan
10-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Fuzzy, that was what alot of people first said to me when I said "even biking hurts my knees" (not just biking hurt, even playing frisbee hurts, going down stairs, etc). But I rode the exact same shoe/bike set up for 3 years just fine without any problems. I even turn out the right cleat because that foot doesn't point straight.

It wasn't until after my first season at telemark skiing did I have all these problems. I am very sensitive if my bike seat falls just the slightest bit, even half an inch, I totally feel it in my knees right away.

So being that I can "tell" when my seat feels off, and that I've ridden that same set up for 3 years fine, I'm thinking it's probably not the bike but rather the abuse I did unto myself skiing!

But I am not opposed to getting my fit checked again at all. Just for safe measures.

eddy1911
10-05-2005, 04:21 PM
A friend of mine just got informed that he can never bike again. He had a crash doing some bmx racing and got a compression fracture on a couple of his lower vertebrae. The doctor said if he crashes again, he could become paralyzed. He is such an avid mtn biker and bmx racer, I feel really bad for him. He has to give up his passion.

Eddy

nitmik
10-06-2005, 08:11 AM
A friend of mine just got informed that he can never bike again. He had a crash doing some bmx racing and got a compression fracture on a couple of his lower vertebrae. The doctor said if he crashes again, he could become paralyzed. He is such an avid mtn biker and bmx racer, I feel really bad for him. He has to give up his passion.

Eddy

Could we start road biking though? Seems a little safer on the crashing aspect

eddy1911
10-06-2005, 08:42 AM
His doctor said that maybe in a few months he could take an easy ride through the neighborhood but nothing intense.

Eddy

nitmik
10-06-2005, 09:16 AM
His doctor said that maybe in a few months he could take an easy ride through the neighborhood but nothing intense.

Eddy

That sucks, I had knee surgery a few years ago and told the doctor I did not care what they did, as long as I could get on the bike. I could not imagine not being able to ride, I feel for him