PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Three Forks/Dimaond Fork/Strawberry Ridge TR

DickHead
09-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Okay....Firstly, if anyone showed up, sorry if I missed you. I got very confused on the location of the trailhead (I was looking for the footbridge listed in the trail notes), and when I did locate it, it appeared closed. It was washed out early this year, and they have the parking area closed off.
So, I whipped out the flyrod. About 11am, I saw a couple bikers, so I stopped them and got the 411. Great. Now I know where the trail is.
So, I got my gear on, and rode. Well, it started out nicely, but the trail is defintely above my technical ability. After awhile, I started getting bogged down on tough rocky sections. Lots of exposed rocks, narrow spots, and loose rockbeds. Eventually, I got to the ridge. Don't go there! If someone feels inclined to ride Three Forks, do the loop listed at the www.UtahMountainbiking.com site. Strawberry ridge is a long, painful climb. There is a prescribed burn next month, so they plowed a firebreak where the single track used to be.
:frustrated:
If one feels inclined to suffer through that, eventually you reach the turn off (5.5 miles along the ridge), downhill. It quickly turns into wide singletrack, and some doubletrack that might as well be singletrack. 2 1/2 hours of climbing just melted away. I was ripping along, banking and splashing through creeks. Awesome stuff!
At one point, I started seeing cattle. Well, I almost hit a calf (he was about the size of a VW), and ended up having to slow down for several bovines I scared the living crap out of....that decided to stamede down the trail ahead of me.
Eventually you hit some cow paths that are rough and suck. But that goes away, and you're back on ripping single track, splashing through creeks. When I got close to the hotsprings, I started seeing people. Mostly hikers, with a few bikers thrown in. The trail had alot of tough spots, and this area is very technical (as shown by the bruises on my leg).
All in all, it was a good experience. I'm exahusted, and my legs are jelly. I put in 26 miles (I got lost at one point, adding two miles to the route), and there is somewhere around 3000' climbing, mostly technical stuff. This is an awesome trail system. Its technical, and tough. But there are miles and miles of sweet singletrack. Good times.

Sombeech
09-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Great photos. I love those colors.

That little waterfall's pretty cool.

rockgremlin
09-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Spot any nudies? Every time I go there, on the approach hike I envision a busload of blondes skinnydipping once I arrive. When I reach the hot springs, my visions are rudely crushed by naked old men that are easily 100 pounds overweight, and shameless! :wallbash:

DickHead
09-25-2005, 09:03 PM
You know, there was one white boy in his shorts, thats it. Of course, I didn't pay very good attention at that point I was barely alive.
:ghost:

If you like those photos, You'll love this one

greyhair biker
10-10-2005, 03:49 PM
had to show that there are white boys in the springs and at trim biking weight but sorry, no hotties in the springs. :ne_nau:

Sombeech
10-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Whoa! Is this fish on a line? Or did you just happen to snap that shot?

http://uutah.com/forum/files/diamond_fork_trout_9-25-05.jpg

Keepin' it real! :bootyshake:

http://uutah.com/forum/files/diamond_fk_hotsprings.jpg

DickHead
10-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Affirmative! Please note the size 12 pink flashback scud planted firmly in his little mouth.

Shan
10-11-2005, 12:15 PM
I am green with envy! I want to be up there so badly.

greyhair biker
10-11-2005, 02:59 PM
my favorite position in this spring :mrgreen:

greyhair biker
05-08-2006, 03:41 AM
HEY, anyone been up here yet this year? I'd like to hit it but need to know the condition before I set out on an epic journey.

DickHead
05-08-2006, 09:07 AM
HEY, anyone been up here yet this year? I'd like to hit it but need to know the condition before I set out on an epic journey.

I'll bet there is snow on most of the trail until the end of this month.

greyhair biker
05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
We usually hit the trail Memorial Day weekend. The morning after MemDay we have found all kinds of stuff up there...bottles, clothing...worse...but almost always friendly people :haha: