PDA

View Full Version : Havasupai "Havasu" Canyon, AZ

Sombeech
09-24-2005, 12:14 PM
This spectacular backpacking destination goes by several names. Some of them are Havasu Canyon, Havasu Falls, Havasupai, Hualapai, Supai, and just Havasu. Some people get confused with the name, because this canyon HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LAKE HAVASU. Lake Havasu is another popular Spring Break location, which is also in Arizona.

Havasu Canyon is technically part of the Grand Canyon. It is accessible from the southern side of the Grand Canyon, near the middle.

Getting there from northern Utah will include driving to Las Vegas, and cutting immediately SouthEast to Henderson, and then Boulder City, home of the Hoover Dam. This will make a fun little break spot.
Continuing on past Boulder City going SouthEast on Hwy 93, you will come to Kingman. You need to get your last minute supplies here, such as water, snacks, etc, because there is no water at the trailhead!!
From Kingman, you will take the Historic Route 66 NorthEast. You will pass Truxton, and Peach Springs. Don't count on getting any supplies here! You will pass a lot of abandoned gas stations, with vintage signs and cars parked out front, but these are non operational.

Past Peach Springs, you will see the turnoff heading north heading into the Havasupai Indian Reservation. This is road BIA-18. You will stay on this paved road all the way to the trailhead. I believe the trailhead is called Hualapai Hilltop.

From Salt Lake City, plan on an 11 hour ride. Leave on a weeknight, stay in Mesquite or Vegas on the way down for a good break. This way, you get the cheap weeknight hotel rates, mostly $29 for good rooms. Hit the morning buffet too! From Mesquite, plan on about 4 more hours of driving. This is good to know, so you can plan on being at the trailhead by noon, or earlier if you are to use the mule train (explained later).

OK, enough blabbin', let's get to the pictures!!! :popcorn:

Sombeech
09-24-2005, 12:21 PM
The trailhead, and the hike down. Plan on about 9 miles to the campground. This is going DOWNHILL, so around 4 hours at a medium pace, including a lunchbreak.

The trailhead will ALWAYS have cars in it. Some of these will be the Natives' cars from the village below.

Methods of going down the canyon include the good ol' fashioned hiking with your full gear, having the mule train carry your gear down for you, or you can even take the helicopter!! :bootyshake:

Since the hike in is downhill, most people will just carry their gear in. On the way out however, going uphill, some will pay to have their heavy packs hauled out, while they just hike out with a daypack.
Info on the different rates, reservations, and deadlines can be found here, the official Havasupai Tribe website. This also has helpful contact info, for any other questions:Havasupai Tribe (http://www.havasupaitribe.com/horses.html)

From the parking lot trailhead, there are some switchbacks for the first half mile. Even though total elevation difference on the hike is 2000', you will have 1000' within the first mile. The rest is a very easy, wide trail. You will have groups of horses and mules passing you atleast 4 times as you hike. This is the village's supply line.

Here's some pics of the trailhead, and the trail itself.

Sombeech
09-24-2005, 01:12 PM
The village and Navajo Falls...

The village is about 8 miles in from the trailhead. This is where the mule trains stop. You will also see the helicopter bringing in supplies to the village. This is where you will be dropped off, or be picked up if you choose to go that route. The campground is still a mile away from the village.
Just in case you forgot some supplies, the village has 3 convenient stores. Now that's the essence of convenience! Since the village is home to over 450 people, they have the facilities like school, church, shopping, police station, and a lodge. The lodge can be used as a great getaway spot for those of you aren't in the best condition to hike in and camp. Visit the Havasupai Tribe Website here (http://www.havasupaitribe.com/index.html) for more details and pictures of that.

Between the village and the campground lay Navajo Falls, and Havasu Falls. The campground lies between Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls.

Here's the pics.

Sombeech
09-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Campground...

Located right in between the two major falls, this is a nice shady campground.

Drinking water is flowing from a tap, and there are latrines. The river flows right through the campground.

Also, there's quite a few caves down there. Here's one we went into about 100 feet.

Sombeech
09-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Havasu Falls.

The most photogenic waterfall in the world. The fact that it's in the middle of the desert, and abundant with gorgeous color combinations, adds to the unbelievable atmosphere.

This is right before you hit the campground. Even if this were the only waterfall down there, it would be well worth the trip.

@100' high, it makes for one of the best swimming holes in the western U.S.

These pictures are from 2 different years. I think 2003 was a little richer in color. If anybody wants copies of the originals of any of these, just PM me, and I'll be glad to share.

Click here for videos (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=962)

Sombeech
09-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Mooney Falls. A 200' drop.

I would suggest spending a full day down here. It's maybe 300 yards from the campground. You descend down a rock wall to get there. Once you do, you can cross over to the island and have lunch there.

There is a picnic table on the island that you can chill out on. Also, there's a rope swing on the far river.

Sombeech
09-24-2005, 01:53 PM
And below Mooney Falls. We didn't hang out very long at Beaver Falls, so there's no pics.

Here's a little stream falling into the main river.

Also, there was a cool little side canyon we went exploring in.

Sombeech
09-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Satellite images of Havasu Canyon, provided by Google Earth.

Want satellite images of the trail? Download Google Earth here (http://earth.google.com/) and use the attachment below to navigate your way through the trail to the falls! Just click on the download part of the attachment below, and it will take you right to the campground. You can navigate your way from there.

And one more picture from the trip...

This is what looks to be a ladder from a distance. If you are at mooney falls, and look maybe a quarter mile down the canyon on the left wall, you will see this.

At the top of it, it looks like a mine, or a cave. We went to go check it out, thinking it's a 300' ladder climbing up to this mine.

We got closer and realized it's too big to be a ladder. It looks like an old chute that they would pour the material down.

The bottom rung was too high to access. This is Neil.

BrokenHorn
10-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Thoes pics bring back some good memories. I went down in 1987. I can't beleive you didn't jump into the falls from the back side. It's quite a rush having all that water crashing on you pushing you down into the water. But you come up pretty quick with all the air bubbles and turbulance. I have a few pics but unfortunatly the film I used at the time wasn't very good and the colors just didn't turn out.
I stayed there for five days. Got Geardia and "tossed my cookies" in Mesquite on the way home. It gave me fits for about two weeks. Oh, yes the memories are great!
Do you still have to get a reservation and permits a head of time? We back then you had to reserve a year in advance.

Sombeech
10-25-2005, 07:15 PM
I can't beleive you didn't jump into the falls from the back side. It's quite a rush having all that water crashing on you pushing you down into the water. But you come up pretty quick with all the air bubbles and turbulance.

Actually, we did! I realize I didn't have a picture of it posted, so I'll post it now. That is actually pretty fun to get back there and jump through. The sound is deafening!! The mist and spray back there is so powerful, and you're yelling to each other the whole time.

The first jump is kind of scary, because you wonder about the possibility of getting sucked down, but like you said, it just pushes you out really fast.

Got Geardia and "tossed my cookies" in Mesquite on the way home.
Yowza!!

Do you still have to get a reservation and permits a head of time? We back then you had to reserve a year in advance.

Yes. Well, actually, it depends on the time of year. From Spring Break to about August, it's packed. That's why I like to beat the crowds by about 1-2 weeks, and we're about the only people there. We've been going in March, but I'd like to try April, if the crowds aren't too bad.

Lee
11-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Yes, those photos bring back good memories for me as well. About 10 years ago we backpacked into there and continued on down all the way to the Colorado the next day. What an absolutely amazing place. No photos, though -- just memories.

Sombeech
11-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Yes, those photos bring back good memories for me as well. About 10 years ago we backpacked into there and continued on down all the way to the Colorado the next day. What an absolutely amazing place. No photos, though -- just memories.

I hear there's a lot of bushwacking to get down to the Colorado. Is that true? And, is it worth it? I guess it depends if you are planning on walking back up it.

BTTAndy
12-08-2005, 05:56 AM
Hey Sombeech,
I went to the Supai last June and am planning another trip with my brother from Orem. We are making the site reservations by Jan. 10th.
I had a blast there and loved climbing down the wet rocks to Mooney falls. The rope swings were a blast. We just kept swingin! I would stay away from the Indian burritos though. Plenty of horse pies to look out for and the Porta poddys were a true challenge as well.
Besides that it was a great trip and I can't wait to go back. Via Las Vegas of course.
My Big brother Dave takes people on excursions all the time. Right now he is snowshoing in Rock Canyon I am sure. :hail2thechief:
Let me know if any one else wants a reservation at the Supai. The helicopter is too expensive and I am too cheap, so I will be in shape enough to make it up the trail like last time. What a workout! :2thumbs: \
Later Andy

Sombeech
12-08-2005, 06:26 AM
Hey Sombeech,
I went to the Supai last June and am planning another trip with my brother from Orem.

Cool. How was it in June? I'll bet the temperature was awesome for a swim. I'm just concerned about the crowds. Was it pretty crowded?

If you have any pictures, you should throw them up here.

david staub
12-08-2005, 02:58 PM
I have been to the Havasupai twice. The first time was 2 1/2 years ago when I backpacked down there with my (then) 13 year old daughter. She carried her own pack the entire way and did great.
That place has got to be the most beautiful place in the world. The waterfalls were incredible. I couldn't help but climb to the top of Navajo Falls (twice) and jump off. I never did find the bottom of the water.
Last summer I met my brother in LasVegas and we went down with some friends. Again, I could not help but climb to the top of Navajo Falls and jump off (again twice). The hike was great going down and very trying coming back up (carried my pack both ways). But very rewarding both ways. My children have instructions that when I die, I am to be cremated and my ashes spread at the Havasupai. I am going again this summer and will try to go every summer for the rest of my life. What an adventure and what a pay off.

Iceaxe
12-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Right now he is snowshoing in Rock Canyon I am sure.

HEY.... back in the day Rock Canyon is where all the U of U guys would take the BYU chicks to make out. :2thumbs:

Best thing I can say about BYU girls is they don't smoke and they don't drink so that only leaves one other thing for them to do :wedgie:

:utes4:

Sombeech
12-08-2005, 07:13 PM
The waterfalls were incredible. I couldn't help but climb to the top of Navajo Falls (twice) and jump off. I never did find the bottom of the water.

That was this one right? The one just above the camp ground?
http://uutah.com/forum/files/navajo2.jpg

I never did get any great pics of this one, because it's in the trees. Next spring I'd like to spend a little more time in that one.

BTTAndy
12-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Those are them. You have to weave threw some trees to get there and the falls are only about 40 ft up. Then the cave inside the pool is really cool with the warts on the ceiling. If you have been in there you know what I am talking about.
Looks like you went there in the fall. It was nice and warm in June when I was there. Yes it was a little crowded but most of the campers were chicks. :naughty:

Sombeech
12-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Looks like you went there in the fall. It was nice and warm in June when I was there. Yes it was a little crowded but most of the campers were chicks. :naughty:

Actually, we went the second weekend in March, 2 years in a row.

I'd like to try about a month later now. I was afraid of crowds screwing up the privacy and photo shoots, but hey, if most of them are chicks, I'm bringin' extra batteries! That's when the zoom comes in handy. :twisted:

david staub
12-09-2005, 05:51 AM
Andy and I went there in the beginning of June. Navajo Falls is a little difficult to find (even though you can see it from the main trail) but it is worth getting to. It is actually higher than Andy said. Their official website says that it is 65 feet high. Andy and I both jumped off of the top of it. And I admit that (depending on who I am trying to impress at the time) the falls have actually grown to be 80 feet high.
The first time I went there, there were only about ten of us back there. Which was great for the privacy and quiet. This last time there were more like 30 and as Andy said, most of them were chicks.
For this old guy, I look at them and say "I have running shoes older than them."

Sombeech
12-16-2005, 04:00 PM
This last time there were more like 30 and as Andy said, most of them were chicks.

OK, that does it. I'm changing my trip planner for later in the year. :mrgreen:

BTTAndy
12-16-2005, 05:20 PM
This last time there were more like 30 and as Andy said, most of them were chicks.

OK, that does it. I'm changing my trip planner for later in the year. :mrgreen:
You said before that you went in March. Was the water too cold for swimming then? It was just perfect refreshing temp in June. And right after school let out. :naughty:

Sombeech
12-16-2005, 09:43 PM
The water temp actually stays the same all year around, about 70 degrees. According to their website, anyways.

BTTAndy
12-17-2005, 06:38 AM
Hey Sombeech,
I just took another look at your pics. Whose that dude doing the ENDO on the ropeswing? Dave and I spent about an hour just hangin out there. What a great place! I can't to wait go back in June.

BTTAndy
12-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Here are some shots of my trip to the Supai with Dave and some of his friends.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?&mode=fromsite&collid=31487380209.32803355509.1135347810043&conn_speed=1

Sombeech
12-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Whose that dude doing the ENDO on the ropeswing?

That's my bud Dave. He's a pretty good gymnast.

BTW, your link isn't working.

Sombeech
01-01-2006, 06:51 PM
OK, here's BTTAndy's pics that the link was supposed to show us.

Thanks Andy!

BTTAndy
01-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks for putting those up Sombeech. The first one is my brother Dave in the green suit jumping off that ledge. He is so graceful! He's a dancer ya know. :haha:

Sombeech
01-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Are you in this one?
http://uutah.com/forum/files/23813355509_0_bg.jpg

BTTAndy
01-02-2006, 05:07 PM
I am the one crouched on the right with the canvas hat. And the one in the cave to Mooney Falls.

david staub
01-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I just made my reservations for the Havasupai for June 23 and 24. It took the better part of two days to finally get through. But my reservations are made. The prices are still the same and really are a steal for the beauty and adventure of the place.

If you plan on going, I strongly recommend that you make your reservations now!

Sombeech
01-11-2006, 02:03 PM
I think I'll be going in April. I'm just deciding on dates.

It seems like it always takes forever to get in contact with that office down there. Sometimes I think they're just not in sometimes.

david staub
01-11-2006, 02:07 PM
I had been told that the phones go down all the time. So I figured that was the problem. So I called the Tribal office just to see what was going on and they said that they were just really busy.

Billy is normally pretty cool and really a lot more business than we would expect. I spoke with a woman and she sounded very frazzled.

I have no idea what crowds are like in April. But if you want to go in June, you need to make the reservations now.

Sombeech
01-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I've always gone in March just to avoid the crowds. It's usually right around 70 degrees, perfect for hiking.

But the mornings are a little chilly in the campground, since it's in the shadows. I thought I'd bump it up to April, but the crowds have been my main concern.

I should call now.

david staub
01-11-2006, 02:21 PM
It was pretty crowded when we went the first week of June last year. It was pretty warm, but down in Mooney in the morning it was almost deserted. We found a camp spot right away. I would have liked to camp across the river just because there were few people over there. But I didn't want to have to cross the river early in the morning when we left.

I learned that I won't carry food for anyone but myself and will limit the clothing that I take. You really only need a couple of t-shirts and a swim suit.

The night before we backpacked out, we realized that we had more food than we needed and didn't want to have to carry it out. So we sought out the pungent smells of marijuana, followed the smell, and gave our food to them. We figured they would have the munchies.

BTTAndy
01-11-2006, 03:51 PM
AAHHHH the pungent smells..... Now I know why its your favorite place. :popcorn:

Sombeech
01-11-2006, 06:27 PM
we sought out the pungent smells of marijuana, followed the smell, and gave our food to them. .

You can gaurantee that's gonna be down there too. Anything goes on the Indian Res.

moabfool
02-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Havasu Falls.

The most photogenic waterfall in the world. The fact that it's in the middle of the desert, and abundant with gorgeous color combinations, adds to the unbelievable atmosphere.

I'll agree that Havasu Falls is pretty, but I didn't see any pictures of Navajo Falls. Navajo Falls is the single most amazing place I've ever been.

BTW: We went the first week of August last summer. I was a sceptic, but I'm sold that July/August is the best time to go.

Sorry if the picture is funky. It's my first try.

Sombeech
02-21-2006, 10:08 AM
BTW: We went the first week of August last summer. I was a sceptic, but I'm sold that July/August is the best time to go.

I just might have to try this summer. I'd like to spend a little time at Navajo Falls as well.

Have any more pics?

moabfool
05-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Have any more pics?

Sorry I took so long. I wasn't bored enough/didn't have bad enough cabin fever to be on the board much.

People from my group have more pictures but I haven't gotten them yet. For now check these out. I'll post again when I get new pictures up.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/moabfool/album?.dir=34ed&.src=ph

Sombeech
05-03-2006, 07:48 PM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/moabfool/album?.dir=34ed&.src=ph

Cool pictures... I hope you don't mind I uploaded a few. :cool2:

James_B_Wads2000
05-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Yeah moabfool, nice pics. Just on question: With all them hot women in the water, tell me at least one of them went topless?

Good news everyone, I have confirmed my reservations for Havasupai on June 12-15. I am really looking forward to it. A big group from my sister

Sombeech
05-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Or what is the one tip you could give me to make my trip great?

James

For me, this canyon is all about the photography. I learned that the best time to take the pictures is in the morning or evening. If you get any sunlight in your photos (shining on the canyon walls) it will throw off the whole balance.

Hence, the difference in my two photos below. Most of your photography will be from the shadows, just because that's where the paths are. Just try to keep the sunlit rock out of the photos.

Also, I really enjoyed my hammock down there. Bring some snorkeling gear! You will not be disappointed.

shaggy125
05-04-2006, 01:07 PM
I there is one thing I should not forget to take what would it be?

Your swimming suit... or not. I guess if you want the girls to go topless... :bootyshake:

James_B_Wads2000
05-04-2006, 04:25 PM
I there is one thing I should not forget to take what would it be?

Your swimming suit... or not. I guess if you want the girls to go topless... :bootyshake:

When it comes to nudity I am a free as a bird type hippie, I have no shame. But I think if I were to drop my pants in front of the Mo-Mos the shock would probably make them end up going into a coma.

James

Sombeech
05-04-2006, 08:20 PM
When it comes to nudity I am a free as a bird type hippie, I have no shame. But I think if I were to drop my pants in front of the Mo-Mos the shock would probably make them end up going into a coma.

James

You should just tell them some old Indian story that involves nudity, and tell them you are honoring a Havasupai tradition.

I noticed some pictures where the water in the pools is brown instead of the blue that I'm used to . I wonder if this is just because of the time of year, or if it's the traffic.

moabfool
05-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Yeah moabfool, nice pics. Just on question: With all them hot women in the water, tell me at least one of them went topless?

As awesome as that would've been, they were on a ward campout. Tempe University 8th Ward. They were camped by the spring, so we would head up there to get water and fill our canteens, if you catch my meaning :naughty: .

I plan on hiking in but taking the helicopter out.

Aw c'mon. Hiking out is part of the experience. Seriously though, it's $75 to ride a horse without your pack and $85 to take a helicopter with your pack. That's a no-brainer, so long as your trip dates match up with the helicopter schedule.

moabfool
05-04-2006, 08:56 PM
I noticed some pictures where the water in the pools is brown instead of the blue that I'm used to . I wonder if this is just because of the time of year, or if it's the traffic.

No, there was a massive flood the night before we hiked in. Big rain storm most of the way from where we left Route 66 until we got to the hilltop. I slept in my car and had to turn it on in the night so I could run the heater. I got up in the morning and I could see my breath. Did I mention that we went the first week of August? :ne_nau:

One bonus of the flood was that Navajo Falls was flowing across the full width. There usually isn't water in the middle. I guess the brown water was the tradeoff for seeing the full flow.

From what my friends tell me, your pictures show what the water usually looks like.

accadacca
05-05-2006, 07:26 AM
When it comes to nudity I am a free as a bird type hippie, I have no shame.
Information we could have done without James. :lol8:

Sombeech
05-05-2006, 07:46 AM
When it comes to nudity I am a free as a bird type hippie, I have no shame.
Information we could have done without James. :lol8:

Please do NOT post your trip report photos in these conditions :bootyshake:

mroy
05-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Couple of tips:
-Sleep in the parking lot and leave as early as you can -- cooler weather and your choice of camp sites, there were tons of people when I was there a couple years ago, and I had to sleep in the crappiest spot.
-Those dirt roads on the map between the Grand Canyon NP HQ area and the trailhead, well, they're really not a shortcut. Long story, no fun.
-Use your polarized sunglass lenses to get some better color and lighting in your shots by putting it in front of your camera lens, if it's not SLR sized.

Sombeech
05-05-2006, 10:06 PM
-Those dirt roads on the map between the Grand Canyon NP HQ area and the trailhead, well, they're really not a shortcut. Long story, no fun.
Yeah, don't trust Mapquest on this stuff. They'll tell you to go to Page, AZ, and then cut across West. Wrong! You've got to go through Vegas and south east.

-Use your polarized sunglass lenses to get some better color and lighting in your shots by putting it in front of your camera lens, if it's not SLR sized.

Interesting. I've never thought about it. Do you have some samples?

Sombeech
05-05-2006, 10:07 PM
One more thing, when you come back with all of these great pictures and trip report, you should start your own thread, so your pics don't go to the end of a 5 or 6 page thread.

moabfool
05-06-2006, 05:32 PM
A few more tips:

DO NOT speed when you're driving the road between Route 66 and the hilltop, especially if you're driving at night. I'll give you a 99% guarantee that you'll hit an elk. My brother-in-law warned me and I thought "whatever" and sped anyway. Then I almost hit one and learned my lesson. I guess I should have believed a guy who never drives under 90 mph when he told me not to speed.

Also, a hammock is your friend. It saves weight and will keep you cooler. Don't take one of these rope hammocks but a nice Brazilian-style hammock. A rope hammock will give you waffle butt for days. Here's what to get:

http://tinyurl.com/eh2mj

Take a couple double-length climbing slings and wrap them around two trees about 12 feet apart. Attach the slings to the hammock with a climbing biner (any will do, locking or non-locking) Put a clothes line over your hammock running both the hammock and clothes line through a tube tent. If/when it rains just pull the tube tent over your hammock. A polar fleece sleeping bag should be enough to keep you warm in the summer. Be sure to take a real pillow if you do this.

I hung my Camelbak from the clothes line with a mini biner and was able to get a drink in the middle of the night without a struggle.

While I'm one more thinging, do not underestimate the power of the squirrel mafia. If it's out, it's theirs. I took normal backpacking food and didn't have a problem, but I also hung my food bag under my tarp where they had less chance to get at it . Other people have been taken for all they had. Hanging your food will not work. They'll just climb out and get it.

Something I saw that worked well was to take a thick-plastic bucket with a lid and put your food in there. Be sure the lid is snapped down tight or they'll be in it in a flash. Coffee cans might work if you could find a stout enough lid. Tom Jones' Canyon Kegs would be bomber.

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/view_product.php?product=IML400

About the spring/drinking water. Some people treat/filter. I drank straight from the spring and didn't get sick. As always, YMMV.

mroy
05-07-2006, 11:48 AM

Interesting. I've never thought about it. Do you have some samples?

The first link is the one without the sunglasses, and the second one is the one with for both of them. You can change the number after xy= to adjust the size of the picture, or just get rid of it for the full res.

You get rid of most of the lighting artifacts, and the image is less contrasty, resulting in richer colors. Usually you'll get a better sky, but this one was shot almost straight into the sun.
http://www.mikepearce.us/superstitions/original/IMG_1200.jpg?xy=700
http://www.mikepearce.us/superstitions/original/IMG_1201.jpg?xy=700

More natural colors of the rock, and richer greens.
http://www.mikepearce.us/superstitions/original/IMG_1236.jpg?xy=700
http://www.mikepearce.us/superstitions/original/IMG_1237.jpg?xy=700

I'm sure I have better examples, but those are the most recent ones I remember. Those pics are all pre-photoshop level & contrast balancing.

They'll also add one level of f-stop. Your sunglasses should just be gray, not any other color, for obvious reasons.

It's no substitute for a real polarized filter, but it can help out a lot.

Also, a hammock is your friend. It saves weight and will keep you cooler. Don't take one of these rope hammocks but a nice Brazilian-style hammock.

I was impressed with Eagles Nest hammock stuff when I saw them at the Outdoor Retailer Show in January. They're more durable, and can take a heavier person, but since they cost more I'd only go for one if you were going to use it often.
http://www.moabsports.com/web/bid/165/cid/659/cl/2/v/all/brand.asp

While I'm one more thinging, do not underestimate the power of the squirrel mafia.

I hate those squirrels.

Sombeech
05-08-2006, 08:02 AM
I hate those squirrels.

I hate those freakin dirty diseased dogs! Otherwise, I'd be happy to just sleep on the ground.

BTW, thanks for the polarized examples. That's pretty cool.