PDA

View Full Version : Diets that work?

accadacca
09-23-2005, 08:44 AM
Diets that work? I would like to loose some spare change. I am under 2 bills (about 190) and I am 6'. I have lost a few this summer, but would like a few more off. What works and is easy? I am thinking of doing the shake (slim fast or something) thing? Seems easy enough, buy the shakes and pound them for break and lunch. Simple.......... :nod: I think I would see results pretty quick. I just don't want something that is labor intensive. Any thoughts...................????

rockgremlin
09-23-2005, 09:18 AM
What works and is easy?

:roflol: Ya, that's a good one. :haha: Good luck on that!!

I've got a diet plan that is guaranteed to work, but it is extremely difficult to stick to. It also requires that you work out at least three times a week.

It's easy to be fat. To be in shape and looking good requires good old fashioned work.

Glockguy
09-23-2005, 09:59 AM
You need to do something that will be a permanant change. Lety's say you go on a shake or whatever the flavor of the month diet is. You lose 15 lbs. in a month. It won't matter because after you go off the diet and live the same you are now ...you will be right back to your pre-diet weight.

I suggest getting into an activity that will help you out. I lost 20 lbs from march-may 2005 and have kept it off. I started biking to and from work.

rockgremlin
09-23-2005, 10:10 AM
You need to do something that will be a permanant change. Lety's say you go on a shake or whatever the flavor of the month diet is. You lose 15 lbs. in a month. It won't matter because after you go off the diet and live the same you are now ...you will be right back to your pre-diet weight.

I suggest getting into an activity that will help you out. I lost 20 lbs from march-may 2005 and have kept it off. I started biking to and from work.

Excellent point! If you're wanting to change the way you look, first change your lifestyle. Your body reflects your eating and exercise habits - whether they be good or bad.

Whatever you do, be prepared to make it a permanent change.

Superriffic S*
09-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Excellent point! If you're wanting to change the way you look, first change your lifestyle. Your body reflects your eating and exercise habits - whether they be good or bad.

Whatever you do, be prepared to make it a permanent change.

I have to agree with this. I am living proof. Last year I lost over 60 pounds. I was down to my highschool weight and looked absolutely fantastic (if I don't say so myself). Then there were some things that changed in my life that made me get lazy and depressed and I have since gained back almost 20 of it. It's not fun being on the weight rollercoaster. I would suggest doing just what rockgremlin is suggesting. Find something that you can do as a lifestyle change and stick to it. I have found that doughnuts are not a good lifestyle change. :nono:

S*

accadacca
09-23-2005, 11:09 AM
I am not too worried about keeping it OFF. I don't need to lose a ton of weight. I am going to mix in some treadmill and other stuff tho. Good comments keep them coming........ :blahblah:

Before Sombeech & accadacca:
http://uutah.com/forum/files/album_pic.jpg

After accadacca:
http://uutah.com/forum/files/img_0263aaa.jpg

After Sombeech: (Not to drag him into this. :lol8:)
http://uutah.com/forum/files/p60800421.jpg

Wasatch Rebel
09-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Just try to eat right and stop shoving cookies and burgers into your pie hole. :nono:

Really, I think it's simple: eat a balanced diet, get enough sleep, work out, and cut back on the beer and soft drinks.

icthys
09-26-2005, 06:24 AM
It is quite simple.

Changing eating habits is the best way. I went on a healthy diet and lost 35 lbs. The diet taught me to eat right. After the diet I continued to eat right and continued to loose the weight without being on a diet.

What really got me all nice and plump were all the worthless breads, pasta, rice, and potatoes. I now eat whole grain stuff, hardly any rice or potatoes, and no more cold cereal.

I can give you a few tips if you want.

DickHead
09-26-2005, 06:47 AM
It is quite simple.

Changing eating habits is the best way. I went on a healthy diet and lost 35 lbs. The diet taught me to eat right. After the diet I continued to eat right and continued to loose the weight without being on a diet.

What really got me all nice and plump were all the worthless breads, pasta, rice, and potatoes. I now eat whole grain stuff, hardly any rice or potatoes, and no more cold cereal.

I can give you a few tips if you want.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!
Fad diets are useless. The only real way to loose weight and keep it off is to cut excess junk food, balance your intake and diet, and exercise.
I lost over 40lbs about 4 years ago. I've managed to mostly keep it off, although I have a hard time with sweets. I also cut my beer intake.....pre-Utah I was drinking about a case a week. Lite beer my ass.....I was fat!

I've known several people to succeed on Body For Life.

rockgremlin
09-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Another way to cut excess calories is to replace regular soda with diet soda. It kinda sucks at first, but after a while you get to the point where regular soda is just too "syrupy" and gross. I'm to the point now where I prefer diet soda to regular. When choosing a diet soda try and pick one that isn't sweetened with aspartame (supposedly it causes Alzheimer's and whatever else). I choose the diet sodas that are sweetened with Splenda, such as DietCokeSplenda, and Diet Rockstar. Sobe's "Lean" drinks are also really good, and don't contain Aspartame.

DickHead
09-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Or, just quit drinking soda altogether. I used to have a 48oz a day Mountain Dew habit. Now, I might drink one 16 ounce soda a week. I replaced it with unsweetened tea, water, and gatorade.

Shan
09-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Do you lift weights? Lifting weights will build muscle and muscle burns more fat. If you don't have weights, you can do push ups, lunges, tricep dips, wall squats without weights, but a set of dumbbells would help alot. Anyone who is working out and not seeing results, usually doesn't have weights in their routine. 2x a week at minimum.

It sounds like small changes in your diet in addition, since you are active.

How about giving a sample list of what you eat in a day typically. I know each day is different, but in general what do you eat/drink?

Some suggestions:
- Drink water (juice is empty calories - have a piece of fruit; drink diet pop if you must have pop; try skim or 1% if you drink milk) Don't drink your calories.

- Do you snack during the day? I'd suggest eating 5-6 smaller meals a day, or a smaller than normal meal plus a snack 2 hours later. Make the snack a protein and carb like string cheese and orange, cold grilled chicken and pineapple, peanut butter and apple.

- Have a treat, but in moderation. Need a cookie after a meal? Me too! Just have 2. Try baking some low fat varieties too at home.

- Try to have fruits or veggies with each meal. Eg Before: deli turkey on white with Doritos: After: deli turkey with tomatoes, cucumber, vinegar on whole grain with veggie soup or pasta salad. Of course it will have to be good-for-you soup or salad, not mayo laden stuff.

It's all about choices.

DickHead
09-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Good tips from Shan.
Another helpful technique is to ramp your metabolisim in the PM and AM. Before bed, do a set of stretches, situps and pushups. Same thing before you eat breakfast in the AM.

rockgremlin
09-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Welcome back Shan! Where've ya been?

The diet you suggested sounds very similar to the one I'm on. Let me tell ya - it's tough to stick to, but I've never seen any other diet work nearly as effectively. It's actually a version of what the models and actors use when they want to slim down and build muscle fast.

Shan
09-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Hiya! I've actually been totally consumed (via internet) with the poor animals left behind from Katrina. It makes my heart ache. So I've been kind of blah and distracted. Many are still alive after 20+ days without food and water. It's a race against time.

Also, don't think of it as a "diet" but a new way of life. You want something you can keep up with forever. Dieting just sounds bad! And long term success will take time.

rockgremlin
09-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Also, don't think of it as a "diet" but a new way of life. You want something you can keep up with forever. Dieting just sounds bad! And long term success will take time.

Good point!

So what are you doing to help the poor critters affected by Katrina? Are you adopting them?

accadacca
09-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the good comments.........I have decided to change my diet more than anything. I am going to pick a calorie diet (1700) and stick to it, by eating healthy low carb snacks. Then watch my portions at dinner. I am also trying to drink lots of water, which is supposed to help. I started my "diet" or change in eating habits on Sunday. I weighed in at 193 and I was 190 this morning. I want to get back to 175 and re-assess things at that point.

BTW.....I also started a new job on Monday (Web Developer - www.xango.net). I thought it would be bad timing for the start of a diet. But the new job has actually helped me get a fresh start on my eating as well.

Shan
09-27-2005, 01:00 PM
I have a question; where did you come up with 1700 calories? That really sounds way too low to me for a man and for your weight. Have you tried any online weight calculators?

http://www.lifeclinic.com/calculators/default.asp

Here's one website I like. I'd figure what you would normally need for your weight/height/activity level - then subtract 500 calories from your diet OR burn 500 calories more with exercise. A 500 calories deficit x 7 days = 3500 calories which is 1 pound of fat. You shouldn't loose more than 2 pounds a week for it to be safe and long term weight loss.

I personally tried to go on an 1800 calorie "plan" to fit into some jeans. I'm 5'5" and 125 pounds. I was STARVING. I defintiely need 2200 at least to avoid headaches and dizziness.

rockgremlin
09-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Once again I'm siding with Shan here. 1700 calories is VERY low for an adult male. I would suggest something more along the lines of 2200 - 2300.

accadacca
09-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I have a question; where did you come up with 1700 calories?
From the slim fast website. :roll:

I defintiely need 2200 at least to avoid headaches and dizziness. I was STARVING.Uh yeah I am dieing....I keep trying to fight the pains with pretzels or fruit n stuff. :bs: Thanks for the link Shan. It said 2600-2800 is normal, then subtract from that huh?

rockgremlin
09-27-2005, 04:51 PM
It said 2600-2800 is normal, then subtract from that huh?

Yes. Like Shan said, either eat 500 calories less than normal, or burn 500 extra calories/day through exercise.

Losing more than 2 pounds of fat a week is not very common. When you hear people boast of losing 10 pounds a week, it wasn't fat that they lost. It was more than likely water and/or muscle.

2 pounds/week is a healthy and reasonable goal.

Shan
09-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Counting calories is a PITA. But if you can do it for 3-4 days just to get a ballpark of what you are currently eating, I think you can go from there. Do you have a Coke and candy bar around 3pm? Just an example, cut that out that that's about 500 calories right there. Pretzels don't do much for you, but maybe combine them with a little light cheese or dip it in some hummus to get a little more protien in there, or 1/2 a wheat bagel with cream cheese. It will hold over the munchies. Hard boiled eggs are a good snack that fills you too.

It said 2600-2800 is normal, then subtract from that huh?
Yes, that's right. Sounds easy on paper, huh? Use the calorie acitivty counter to see how much you are burning too.

By the way, I've been getting Fitness magazine for 4 years now, and I'm just really regurgitating what I've read.

Good luck to you! You can do it, you have the motivation!

RG - I volunteered at the PetSmart super adoption weekend in SLC where there were 40 dogs or so that were shelter dogs in Louisiana. There were 800 other Utah animals there too all needing homes also. They were trasported up here (part of No More Homeless Pets in Utah) to make room for the rescued pets. I volunteer with the shelter in my town doing adoptions and fundraisers. Other that than I read up on lost of websites about what's going on. That's all, I don't know what else I can besides continue volunteering at this shelter. Oh I met Jamis Jockey during that weekend in SLC!