PDA

View Full Version : Single-Speeders

derstuka
09-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Any single-speeders out there? If so, what kind of setup do you have? Gearing, frame, fork, etc,...

I'm in the process of building one, and as soon as I get the fork (hopefully this weekend) it will be near complete. :2thumbs:

Mtnbiker
09-16-2005, 06:50 AM
Hey there.. I currently have two SS bikes in various stages of completion. The one I ride right now for the trail and for commuting to work is my fav. It's an all Black GT Zaskar X with an old school silver Azonic riser and 100 mil X-fly fork. A nice well worn set of Deore Square tapers round out my stealth ghetto bike. she sure rides sweet though! She's set up right now as a 36x20x16. I have two cogs in the back spaced just close enough to be used one or the other, and not far enough off chainline that it causes problems. I use an old singleator to take up the slack when I switch b/w the two gears.

My other ride is my very first mountain bike, a specialized hardrock. She kicks butt too. nice steel frame with plenty of character scratches :2thumbs: and a blue hellbent bar to match the frame, a Sid Team fork and some crappy V's. that's set up as a 32x18 or about 1.77:1 and my chainstay length just happens to match perfectly with my chain so I don't need a tensioner. I need a new set of wheels though. Anybody have a used set of mtn wheels w/ rimmies?

Singlespeeding is fun anywhere but much more fun in Michigan I think. You never have to push up a hill there and can run 36x16 on the trails! :)
Although I did ride it up on the Crest once and after you push up puke hill the rest is pure pleasure!

Ride on! whatchyou got?

derstuka
09-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Hell, I think that singlespeeds are meant to be somewhat cheap. I bought a Kona Lana'i for $90 on Craigslist, and I should be picking up my Rockshox Duke fork this weekend. I had a cassette wheelset already built, so I was El Cheapo and I bought the singlespeed conversion kit. I have my singleator, pedals, shimano disk brakes (got them brand new for cheap from the guy who should me the frame), and I have the middle chain ring from a triple, and riserbars to finish it off. You sound like you have a pretty good setup both of your bikes. I like your idea of keeping two rear cogs instead of one. Do you have a singlespeed conversion hub as well?

I honestly don't care that some of my bike is not top of the line parts, just as long as she holds together, and gets me where I have to do.