PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Behunin Canyon - Zion

price1869
09-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Trip Report

accadacca
09-13-2005, 02:31 PM
I sent you a PM Price and for some reason you have not checked it? Do you have a popup blocker installed?

Iceaxe
09-13-2005, 03:55 PM
Behunin Sucks!!!

:roflol:

Sombeech
09-13-2005, 04:14 PM
I love the pics. Nice work.

rockgremlin
09-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Don't listen to Shane. I think Behunin looks cool! Notice I said "looks" cool. Sure it doesn't have any swimming, or narrow slots, but those big walls are really neat!

That one pic with the dude holding two ropes out on either side of his body really had me fooled there for a second. I was like "That dude is CRAZY! Going down that cliff wall with no harness, and not even clipped in!"

Good Job!! :thumb:

Was it tough to get permits for Behunin?

rock_ski_cowboy
09-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Behunin was my 3rd tech canyon. Talk about being lucky, we did it with 1 200' rope and 1 200' pull cord and almost stuck our ropes several times and then twisted it all up in the dark on the final rappel (we got a really late start due to screw-ups on Mystery the day before). It was a miracle we untwisted it the right direction. Good lessons, but the hard way.

:lol: I love some of the idiots you see on the tour bus, but that guy sounds like he takes the cake! I think you can say retard here, but don't even go there over on the yahoo groups. Rockgremelin had a good experience with that... didn't you? If i remember right, someone told you that if they ever met you in a canyon they would murder you. Some joke about the special olympics :roflol:

tanya
10-28-2005, 10:32 AM
There you go again Shane, spreading your love of Behunin. :popcorn:

I hear there are beer trees and nakid' women dancing in there now. :

http://www.zionnational-park.com

rockgremlin
10-28-2005, 11:35 AM
"I hear there are beer trees and nakid' women dancing in there now."

Ya, that should be incentive to do Behunin, if not the cool big wall raps.

So is it pronounced "BE - HUN - IN" or "BE - HEW - NIN" ??

:ne_nau: I've heard it said both ways, but never sure of the correct one.

tanya
11-14-2005, 09:32 PM
[I hear there are beer trees and nakid' women dancing in there now."]

It's something that only Shane would appreciate.

[Ya, that should be incentive to do Behunin, if not the cool big wall raps.]

I'm with you. I enjoyed Behunin. The raps were fun and the wash was nice. Check out Ice Box in Zion for Behunin on steroids.

[So is it pronounced "BE - HUN - IN" or "BE - HEW - NIN" ??

I've heard it said both ways, but never sure of the correct one.]

Those that hang in Zion often say: Be hew nin. It was a man's name.

http://www.zionnational-park.com

taatmk
11-30-2007, 11:22 AM
My son at USU has a roommate from St George who says a local St George family on his home street pronounces their name Be hun in and not Be hew nin. I always have pronounced it the latter, but now have changed it.

ratagonia
11-30-2007, 11:51 AM
My son at USU has a roommate from St George who says a local St George family on his home street pronounces their name Be hun in and not Be hew nin. I always have pronounced it the latter, but now have changed it.

Nice TR, nice pics, thanks.

The canyon is named for Isaac Behunin, one of the original settlers of Zion Canyon (1864?) along with William Heaps. Isaac is usually given credit for naming Zion.

While the family name, which has a German origin, can be pronounced Be - hun - in; the CANYON is pronounced as it is spelled in english, Be - hew - nin.

Tom