PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Aquarius Plateau

fourtycal
09-11-2005, 07:47 PM
I had never been to the Aquarius Plateau in the Dixie National forest, so me and some friends headed out this weekend to explore. We had no idea where we were going or what we would find but as always in Utah we were not disappointed!
We started by heading to Big Lake (more of a swamp) about 30 minutes south of Loa. We unloaded and rode as far as we could explore in a weekend.
There were tons of antelope but only a couple of deer and no elk spotted even though it looks like prime deer and elk country.
the area is huge, trails lead to Escalante and Antimony as part of the Garfield county trail system.
Here are a few pics I took along the way.

accadacca
09-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Wow nice report fourty. Fish Lake National Forest is a beautiful area. :popcorn:

Sombeech
09-11-2005, 09:27 PM
That looks like a lot of fun. I've never been on a four wheeler trip, just short 1 day rides.

That would be pretty cool. My parents just got back from doing the Piute trail for the third time. They've got a lot of pictures. I'd get them to join the forum, but they don't even know how to check e-mail. Plus, I don't think they'd like it when they found out my name is "Sombeech". I'll get the photos from them and post a seperate trip report.

But anyways, not to hijack this topic, :oops: how did you find out about the Aquarius Plateau? Did you go with some people who knew about it?

fourtycal
09-12-2005, 04:23 PM
I have a big topo map hanging on my basement wall that covers most of south central and south eastern Utah, I was staring at it a month ago and the name stood out. I have spent a lot of time north of Loa and Bicknell on the Fishlake Plateau and thousand lakes area, I have even stayed at the Aquarius motel in Bicknell several times but had never been to Aquarius Plateau, so I talked these guys into going. We explored the western part of the area, next trip down I will have to try the Boulder mountain side.

Sombeech
09-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Cool. You really get that sense of adventure when you are trying something new, that none of your party is familiar with. You all accept the fact that it just may end up sucking big time, but you have a feeling it won't.

rockgremlin
10-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Cool pix Fourtycal. Find any more cool spearheads? :lol8:

chickenlicken
03-08-2006, 06:13 AM
We are planning a 4 wheeling/ camping/FISHING trip down to boulder mountain area. I have never been down there atving before, any one have advice. We plan on camping off the wheelers and fishing is the main goal. We don't mind a little hike to a lake for some brookies and cutthroat. If any one has any great rides or lakes that must be fished, I would appreciate it.

fourtycal
03-08-2006, 04:20 PM
So when is this trip? I don't know the area but have been planning on an atv trip there this summer myself.

chickenlicken
03-10-2006, 06:09 AM
We are planning to go down around the 25-26th of july. I talked with the forest service last week. They said that the roads should open earlier this year, due to light snow cover, probably by the first of June. I haven't made a plan as to which lakes we are headed to. I don't mind a short hike 1/2 mile or so if the fishing is worth it.

stefan
07-08-2006, 02:49 PM
can you describe what the shiny stuff is on the road on either side of the creek. is it metal or rubber?
seems like it's to provide a stable surface to enter and exit the creek. is it fairly permanent? how often does it need to be maintained?

http://uutah.com/forum/files/antimony_greek.jpg

Nick Danger
07-09-2006, 07:10 PM
can you describe what the shiny stuff is on the road on either side of the creek. is it metal or rubber?

Looks like it's paved with up-ended (hole side up, fills with gravel & sediment) cinder blocks. I've seen this method used elsewhere. Seems to hold up and stabilize the crossing very well... 7 years in one small stream crossing I know of, with little sign of wear or need for maintenance.