PDA

View Full Version : Ipod/MP3 Players

accadacca
09-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Apple just released the nano. Pretty slick! I am going to get an MP3 player soon and would like to learn more. Which one are you using? Where did you get it? Where do you get the music? I have 200 or so CD's and I hate the thought of converting all of them. Is this the only choice that wont cost me $0.99 a song? Is there a cheap subscription service? What do you guys think about the nano? It looks good to me and I want something small.

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/?cid=CDM-2113A

rockgremlin
09-09-2005, 12:42 PM
If you want to carry around your entire music collection you'll need more than 4 GB. If you just want to carry around a few and swap them out from time to time, then the Nano is for you.

I tend to go big or go home so to speak. I just picked up the 4th generation colorscreen Ipod - 30 GB, and it holds pictures too! :2thumbs: It also has an extended battery that is capable of 15 straight hours of music. Rock on! :rockon:

Superriffic S*
09-09-2005, 01:28 PM
I have a mini 4 GB and I LOVE it!!! I take it everywhere and listen to it all the time. It isn't that big a deal for me to swap out my music about every two to three weeks. I have about 55 GB worth of music on my computer at home so I have a rather large collection to choose from.

I think I might look into getting the new itunes phone they are about to release. I think it holds about 4GB of music as well, dunno for sure tho.

Itunes seriously kicks A$$!

They have online music download stores other than itunes music store. You can download music for $.79 or $.89 per song. (I am getting information on the specific sites and will post another message with the info, unless someone beats me to it.) Yahoo also offers a "napster" type service for $4.99 per month. From what I could gather it's a kind of music trading depot. It's unlimited use each month for $5 bucks. Not bad, really. :mrgreen:

S*

rockgremlin
09-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Yahoo also offers a "napster" type service for $4.99 per month. From what I could gather it's a kind of music trading depot. It's unlimited use each month for $5 bucks. Not bad, really. :mrgreen:
S*

That's a good idea, thx for the info!

Black Mage
09-09-2005, 02:11 PM
My mp3 is a Creative MuVo TX FM, 256mb. Not quite enough to hold 200 CDs, but it works well enough for me.

Personally I have mixed feelings bout iTunes. If you have an iPod then it will work well for you, but I've used it a few times and all the music I've downloaded came in MP4, which it useless with my mp3 player.

As for Napster, I heard that the moment you stop subscribing to them all the music you downloaded from them expires and you can't listen to it anymore. Is this true? If so I would never use Napster, unless I had some major hacking/coding skillz that could work around such a block, and such skillz I do not have.

Superriffic S*
09-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Personally I have mixed feelings bout iTunes. If you have an iPod then it will work well for you, but I've used it a few times and all the music I've downloaded came in MP4, which it useless with my mp3 player.

You can go into itunes to change the settings of how songs are imported. We import all our music at 256 kbps. You have to go into edit then preferences and change the import settings. We set them up custom at AAC Encoder and importing at 256 kbps. It is a smaller file than the mp3, but higher quality.

itunes is superior than other computer music import/mp3 players out there.

IMHO :nod:

rockgremlin
09-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Well, as it turns out, the "$5.00 per month for unlimited music" from Yahoo is a crock of $h*T! I subscribed. It's $5.00 to download Yahoo's version of itunes, and every song you download is an additional 79 cents. This is very misleading, because they advertise "unlimited music for $5.00 a month," when in reality, it's not. If you download 10 songs, it costs $5.00 plus 10($0.79) = $12.90

In addition to this, some of the music you download from Yahoo isn't compatible with an Ipod!!!!

YahooMusic - It's a scam, DON'T DO IT!!!

Superriffic S*
09-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Well, as it turns out, the "$5.00 per month for unlimited music" from Yahoo is a crock of $h*T! I subscribed. It's $5.00 to download Yahoo's version of itunes, and every song you download is an additional 79 cents. This is very misleading, because they advertise "unlimited music for $5.00 a month," when in reality, it's not. If you download 10 songs, it costs $5.00 plus 10($0.79) = $12.90

In addition to this, some of the music you download from Yahoo isn't compatible with an Ipod!!!!

Hey, dude... sorry to hear that. The ad was really deceiving then, but look at it this way. The average CD has about 10 to 12 songs on it and is around $15 . So, you're really saving between $0.52 and $2.10 depending on how many songs you want. Just food for thought to iritate you... you know I love to! :lol8:

accadacca
09-10-2005, 02:24 PM
:roflol: Thanks for being the guinea pig.

http://members.tripod.com/raaberao/cavymadness/giftheademma.gif

That sucks! :roll: Good input here keep it coming... :blahblah:

Sombeech
09-10-2005, 06:09 PM
http://members.tripod.com/raaberao/cavymadness/giftheademma.gif

Eat Quizno subs! I know they're really spongmonkeys, but that's what I thought of. Here's another song by them...

http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/

DickHead
09-10-2005, 06:19 PM
I just got one not long ago.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3132182
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/05/46/51/07/0005465107362_500X500.jpg
$64 bucks, holds a fair bit. Right now I've got an hour of music on it, I think it will still hold a few more. Probably look for some good stuff this week to add to it. I have no idea how I cut the grass or road rode before it....
:ne_nau:

Walmart downloads are $.88 each. No muss, no fuss. You do pay taxes on them, though. No programs to download or nuthin.

DaveOU812
09-13-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't have one but I want one DESPERATELY!!! It's so much easier than lugging all of my cds around. My buddy has about a million songs on his laptop over here so getting the music wouldnt be too hard or expensive at all. Oh well. Maybe for christmas.

Dusty
09-13-2005, 07:57 PM
My wife has an older IRiver 256 mp3 player. Problem with it is that the batteries die within a week of just using the FM part of it. Does any know of a smaller mp3 that lasts longer then that? I would hppe most last 20 hours plus when just using the radio....

crazy horse
09-13-2005, 08:13 PM
I have a 20 gig ipod and i love it. I take it all over. Listen to it in the car(fm transmiter/tape deck) listen to it at home, at school(not in class, i swear.) Its just awesome

DickHead
09-14-2005, 05:46 AM
My wife has an older IRiver 256 mp3 player. Problem with it is that the batteries die within a week of just using the FM part of it. Does any know of a smaller mp3 that lasts longer then that? I would hppe most last 20 hours plus when just using the radio....

When I was doing my research, I didn't see too many that had much more battery life than that.

rockgremlin
09-14-2005, 11:53 AM
When I was doing my research, I didn't see too many that had much more battery life than that.

Concur. Even Ipod's latest and greatest only has a battery life of 15 hours.

asdf
09-05-2006, 06:35 AM
Gigabeat f or s series -
I got my F40 40gig for 175. I like it much better than any Ipod
Standard USB cable (so you don

Reedus
09-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Since the only time i really listen to music is in the car, I got a Phatbox. It interfaces with the existing stereo in the Audi. It has a 20 gb cartridge that is basically a removable mass storage. It has a cradle that connects to the laptop and I load all my music on it. It even has voice capabliites that tell you the artist and playlist you listen to. Pretty damn cool.

asdf
09-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Since the only time i really listen to music is in the car, I got a Phatbox. It interfaces with the existing stereo in the Audi. It has a 20 gb cartridge that is basically a removable mass storage. It has a cradle that connects to the laptop and I load all my music on it. It even has voice capabliites that tell you the artist and playlist you listen to. Pretty damn cool.

Wow I had never heard of that, looks pretty tight. Is the Voice options pretty cool? How does it work? where does it get the info from? ID3 or file name?

Reedus
09-05-2006, 11:41 AM
My setup goes like this: My audi had a cd changer that comes stock in the car. The phatbox plugs into the existing CD changer harness and sends the info to the cd player in the dash. The phatbox uses the existing buttons on the cd player to browse through artists, playlist, geners, and what not as you decide. The voice prompts are part of the software you load on your computer to make playlists and organize your music before you down load it to the DMS cartridge. The software somehow recognizes thespeeling of your playlists, songs, and artists and makes a pretty accurate pronunciation of it as you browse through stuff in your car. It allows you to keep your eyes on the road, but still browse through thousands of songs with your finger tip. I bought the 20gb cartridge and loaded around 1500 songs on it and it still has 3/4 of storage left. Sure the heck beats having CDs and Mp3s that get scratched. Although, they do have another program that will write the voice prompts on a CD that you want to burn, but the CD player has to be compatible. Go to Phatnoise.com for more info. I paid 349 for my whole setup