PDA

View Full Version : New trails in Moab

TreeHugger
09-02-2005, 01:39 PM
OK, I've been to Moab a bunch of times.... I know there is some new stuff there because when we went down during the Fat Tire Festival the organizers were taking the groups (we were not officially participating so didnt get to go on these rides) on like 3 different and brand new singletrack trails. Is anyone familiar with these?? They arent in any guide books yet.

We did ride the Sovereign Singletrack which is wicked sweet, that is fairly new.

They said there was new single track somewhere out by Klondike Bluffs, another new singletrack out toward Porcupine - from the Slickrock camping area, and there was another one somewhere else that I'm not remembering....

I really like to try some new stuff down there, I always ride the same things it seems like.

Sombeech
09-02-2005, 03:39 PM
I'd really like to find those also. The existing trails are great and everything, but everybody's doing them.

TreeHugger
09-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Well, I decided to track down some email addresses for the bike shops down there, I got one reply so far from Chile Pepper bike shop.
Here's what they said:

"The best thing to do is check in when you arrive

accadacca
09-05-2005, 03:36 PM
[quote=TreeHugger]Well, I decided to track down some email addresses for the bike shops down there, I got one reply so far from Chile Pepper bike shop.
Here's what they said:

"The best thing to do is check in when you arrive

TreeHugger
09-06-2005, 02:58 PM
No, not yet. Going down the 23rd.

Sombeech
09-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Man, there's so many people going down to Moab, but nobody's going after the "where is it" prize for July.

I think it's still open until somebody wins, right? I don't think it expired. :ne_nau:

Contest- http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=494

If you read through the post, there's enough hints dropped to tell you exactly where it is.

But hey, if you're just going to check out new trails, no prob. Just take lots of pictures so we can throw them in the trail index! You'll be the first one to come up with a true trip report on some of these trails. :hail2thechief:

TreeHugger
09-07-2005, 06:40 AM
Have ya all ridden the Sovereign Singletrack?

It's a few years old now but I dont think a lot of people know it yet. It's a freakin' BLAST. If you havent ridden that it should definately be on your "must do" list for next time... We rode it as a loop, clockwise, with a short section of highway to get back to the car... it was beautiful! :-)

I'll suggest we ride that and I'll take some pics and stuff. I'm not very good at photos while riding - I get too distracted by RIDING and dont want to keep stopping!! (except when I need an excuse to catch my breathe!!) haha!

TreeHugger
09-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Here is the next reply I got from Poison Spider:

"Ya come in and see us and we will give you all the beta on the new stuff. THe Sovereign Trail out by Klondike Bluffs, Amasa Back Single track, a new trail being built up in the La Ssal Mtns etc"

Tucker
12-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Have you ever checked out Google Earth? I don't know how recent those satalite shots are but you can see the entire Porcupine Rim trail....pretty cool. If you know where to look you might be able to see the new single track.

TreeHugger
12-23-2005, 12:41 PM
No Kiddin?! That looks awesome! I'm not sure where to look for the new trail, but that is super cool to see the topography of that area.

Sombeech
12-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Nice work with the Google Earth image, Tucker! :2thumbs:

Hey, can you get a location tool uploaded that will take us right there?

I still haven't been on this trail, and would love to "see" my way around it.

Thanks bro.

Tucker
12-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Not sure this will work but here it is. I just got Google Earth and I'm not sure what I'm doing. If you can make this work you can follow the trail along the rim. It gets a little confusing but you can see it entering Jackass Canyon then follow it along the cliff above the Colorado. I rode it in 2001....pretty awesome trail for a Ohio boy. Looks like they are planning a housing development down in that valley...that grid of roads wasn't there when I rode the trail.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=244657

Sombeech
12-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Not sure this will work but here it is.
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=244657

Yep, that took me right to it! Now I can see exactly where it is from town.

That resolution is awesome for this trail! Nice work Tucker.

By the way, Google Earth is noted multiple times on this forum. For those of you who do not have this outstanding tool, get it here: Google Earth (http://earth.google.com/)

Sombeech
12-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Oh, and great shots! :2thumbs:

Looks like you went through the "Shoot, Develop, Scan, and Upload" phase that I was going through on most of my pics.

Then finally, digital! But seriously, great shots man. Thanks a lot.

Tucker
12-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks...yeah those are from 2001...I think I had one of those disposables.