PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans

derstuka
09-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Has everybody/anybody been keeping up with the flooding in New Orleans (Mississippi as well)? Just horrible stuff I tell ya. It is gonna take a good year or two to get everything back in order. It's like a free-for-all downtown with all the looting and all.

Answer me this, is looting justified for food and clothing when people have little or not access to it at home? After all, aren't all the goods gonna be thrown directly in the garbage anyways?

DickHead
09-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Has everybody/anybody been keeping up with the flooding in New Orleans (Mississippi as well)? Just horrible stuff I tell ya. It is gonna take a good year or two to get everything back in order. It's like a free-for-all downtown with all the looting and all.

Answer me this, is looting justified for food and clothing when people have little or not access to it at home? After all, aren't all the goods gonna be thrown directly in the garbage anyways?

I say, sort of. If you've got nothing left, and survivial is at stake, then take what you need. Food, water, clothing. However, be prepared to pay the consequences as a looter and thieve.
:rifle:
Taking non-survival related merchandise is unacceptable.
:assault:

I'm watching a live feed right now of a freeway leading out of Nawlins. Its a steady stream of refugees leaving on foot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Do not under any circumstances try and take my food or water. I am heavily armed and prepared to defend whats mine. Luckily, we live in the kind of place that doesn't have that densely populated urban type mentality. We don't have millions of people crammed into projects, ghettos and low income apartments.

derstuka
09-01-2005, 11:35 AM

I say, sort of. If you've got nothing left, and survivial is at stake, then take what you need. Food, water, clothing. However, be prepared to pay the consequences as a looter and thieve.
:rifle:
Taking non-survival related merchandise is unacceptable.
:assault:

I'm watching a live feed right now of a freeway leading out of Nawlins. Its a steady stream of refugees leaving on foot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Do not under any circumstances try and take my food or water. I am heavily armed and prepared to defend whats mine. Luckily, we live in the kind of place that doesn't have that densely populated urban type mentality. We don't have millions of people crammed into projects, ghettos and low income apartments.

Sad stuff. Some people have no idea where their families are, if they are even alive. I agree with you about people taking non-survival related merchandise. Quite a few are robbing jewelry stores and the like. Like I said before, gonna take a looooooong time to dry those rugs!

Ya know, I am surprised that those levies are not even larger and more robust than they already are. I am taking built higher, and of pure rock/concrete, instead of an earthen dam. Not ridiculously high, but higher indeed. Also, you would assume that the facilities that manage the levies would have large blocks of something to put into a levie break such as this. Normally, it seems like this would be planned for, especially if a hurricane was headed straight for you.

Superriffic S*
09-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Ya know, I am surprised that those levies are not even larger and more robust than they already are. I am taking built higher, and of pure rock/concrete, instead of an earthen dam. Not ridiculously high, but higher indeed. Also, you would assume that the facilities that manage the levies would have large blocks of something to put into a levie break such as this. Normally, it seems like this would be planned for, especially if a hurricane was headed straight for you.

I was watching Brit Hume last night on Fox News and he had some experts on the show. They were all talking about how the levee's that failed were only ever supposed to support a class three (3) Hurricane. The city planners had talked about upgrading the levee's for years to a class five (5) but never could justify spending the money.

Also, don't you think it odd that there were so many people still there in the city when the hurricane hit? What the hell is Doppler for if you aren't going to pay attention and get the hell out? Especially if you live in a city that is 30 feet below sea level. I would have been hoofin' it if I lived there and didn't have a means to travel any other way. I guess that is my own scardey cat way though. I am afraid of my own shadow sometimes and the thought of being on the coast as a hurricane is approaching... makes my spine quiver. :eek2:

derstuka
09-01-2005, 11:59 AM
I was watching Brit Hume last night on Fox News and he had some experts on the show. They were all talking about how the levee's that failed were only ever supposed to support a class three (3) Hurricane. The city planners had talked about upgrading the levee's for years to a class five (5) but never could justify spending the money.

Also, don't you think it odd that there were so many people still there in the city when the hurricane hit? What the hell is Doppler for if you aren't going to pay attention and get the hell out? Especially if you live in a city that is 30 feet below sea level. I would have been hoofin' it if I lived there and didn't have a means to travel any other way. I guess that is my own scardey cat way though. I am afraid of my own shadow sometimes and the thought of being on the coast as a hurricane is approaching... makes my spine quiver. :eek2:

I know, those people should have been long gone. I guess it is their right to stay, however unwise that decision may be. I wonder if this is justification enough to build a better bathtub (as in how New Orleans sits below a river and a lake)??? You may say "hell ya," but many towns on the Mississippi failed to make the necessary improvements (increasing levee size) because they believed it took away from the character of their towns. Yeah, so lets just keep using our tax dollars to bail them out each time it floods. :lame:

Shan
09-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Crikey, every article I read tell about the situation getting worse and worse. They are living in pure chaos. I cannot even fathom this.

[quote][i]
Zuschlag added that when another evacuation helicopter tried to land at a hospital in the outlying town of Kenner overnight, the pilot reported that 100 people were on the landing pad, and some of them had guns.

Sombeech
09-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Never build a city below sea level, on the coast. If you can't stop that, you can still choose to NOT live there.

The Netherlands are going to get screwed some day.

icthys
09-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Call 908-0680 or 877-908-0680 to donate to the Red Cross.

If you haven't donated give them a call, it's quick and easy, I've called twice.

I was contemplating donating until I saw a few video's on MSN and CNN, after one video I had to call. These people need our help!

Superriffic S*
09-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Never build a city below sea level, on the coast. If you can't stop that, you can still choose to NOT live there.

The Netherlands are going to get screwed some day.

Here, Here!!!

How does that song go... the wise man built his house upon the... what? I don't think it was water.

rockgremlin
09-02-2005, 09:38 AM
I think God is chastising them for all of the drugs, debauchery and wanton naughtiness that happens during Mardi Gras. :getiton: :pitcher:

Shan
09-02-2005, 09:50 AM
:eek2:

Superriffic S*
09-02-2005, 09:54 AM
I think God is chastising them for all of the drugs, debauchery and wanton naughtiness that happens during Mardi Gras. :getiton: :pitcher:

Yep... and I think Vegas is next in line. :eek1:

DickHead
09-02-2005, 10:08 AM

Who is this mythical being you speak of?
:bootyshake:

rockgremlin
09-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Here, hold this lightning rod for a sec, and I'm gonna run over here and hide under this rubber coated bomb shelter... :haha: :haha: :haha:

Shan
09-02-2005, 10:30 AM
RG, now tell us how you really feel!

I don't know you well enough yet or your humor, so is that how you feel or are you joking?

rockgremlin
09-02-2005, 11:06 AM
I don't know you well enough yet or your humor, so is that how you feel or are you joking?

I thought by including these: :haha: :haha: :haha: , that you would know I was joking! :haha: :lol8: :roflol: :mrgreen: :haha: :lol8: :roflol: :mrgreen: :haha: :lol8: :roflol: :mrgreen:

Always take my posts with a grain of salt...I'm rarely serious.

Shan
09-02-2005, 11:12 AM
OK, phew!

...I'm rarely serious

Sounds like my husband!

derstuka
09-02-2005, 11:52 AM
A lady at my work has a house in New Orleans, and one in Biloxi, that she owns and rents out. She doesn't know the condition of either of them, or the tenants that inhabit them.

I know everybody always asks why this wasn't done, and why that wasn't done, after a disaster strikes, but I really firmly believe (as I stated before) that if your city sits resides in a depression, sided by lakes and rivers on each side, and continues to sink each year, make damn sure that you have the best protection necessary in putting up levees and damns, because although the money spent to upgrade them will be high, it sure as hell beats what is going on now. Now it is gonna cost 50+ billion to fix it all after everything is over.

Here's a two questions for all:

If you choose to stay behind after a major disaster warning (such as a hurricane) and are given ample opportunity to evacuate, should anybody be held responsible to save your ass? Kinda like if you hike into the rocky mtns, get lost, and call for help, what about that? I'm just talking about personal responsibility is all. Not some elderly people who can't evacuate without help, or help themselves.

If you think so, then can the people who stayed behind be held responsible for breaking into stores when they had opportunites to buy goods, or evacuate earlier?

DickHead
09-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Here, hold this lightning rod for a sec, and I'm gonna run over here and hide under this rubber coated bomb shelter... :haha: :haha: :haha:

Your mythical god means nothing to me.

rockgremlin
09-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Here's a two questions for all:

If you choose to stay behind after a major disaster warning (such as a hurricane) and are given ample opportunity to evacuate, should anybody be held responsible to save your ass? Kinda like if you hike into the rocky mtns, get lost, and call for help, what about that? I'm just talking about personal responsibility is all. Not some elderly people who can't evacuate without help, or help themselves.

If you think so, then can the people who stayed behind be held responsible for breaking into stores when they had opportunites to buy goods, or evacuate earlier?

Ya, I agree. I think if you're gonna thumb your nose at the warning call, you should be prepared to provide the necessities of life to yourself and your own when your city is leveled. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. How is it the President's fault, or Congress' fault, or the National Guards' fault for what happened to New Orleans?! How is it now the Federal Gov't's (and therefore the taxpayer's) responsibility to provide food, water and shelter to the stranded citizens of New Orleans, when they themselves CHOSE to ignore the warnings to get out!!!!!!

derstuka
09-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Ya, I agree. I think if you're gonna thumb your nose at the warning call, you should be prepared to provide the necessities of life to yourself and your own when your city is leveled. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. How is it the President's fault, or Congress' fault, or the National Guards' fault for what happened to New Orleans?! How is it now the Federal Gov't's (and therefore the taxpayer's) responsibility to provide food, water and shelter to the stranded citizens of New Orleans, when they themselves CHOSE to ignore the warnings to get out!!!!!!

I couldn't agree more. Has anybody heard how sensitive everybody has become about the "refugee" term being used for New Orleaners being displaced? I heard Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton saying it sounds racist, or like they are an international people. My dear, since when did people become so sensitive?

Did anyone hear about how they are no longer calling high school dropouts, "dropouts" in some canadian towns? They want to call them "early release students " or some other thing.

Iceaxe
09-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Guys,

Here's a URL from a guy who runs a co-located hosting company in NO. He's ex-special forces, and is in his building with supplies, a generator, and fuel (plus, I'll wager, guns and plenty of ammunition). He vows to keep his system up and stay there.

His comments have the urgency and feel of someone who is right there, and they are frightening.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

Sombeech
09-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Did anyone hear about how they are no longer calling high school dropouts, "dropouts" in some canadian towns? They want to call them "early release students " or some other thing.

I know. We don't want to OFFEND anybody. They went from calling border jumpers "illegal aliens", to "undocumented immigrants" to "undocumented workers".

Funny how they caught hundreds of "undocumented workers" at the border one day, before they got an american job. We are going out of our way to NOT OFFEND anybody, that we are labelling anybody who sneaks into our country "worker". :crazycobasa:

Wasatch Rebel
09-02-2005, 09:19 PM
yeah, and some schools are making the teachers use purple ink to mark wrong answers because red check marks make a kid feel stupid.
No wonder we have so many people unable to do anything in the real world.

Shane

Sombeech
09-02-2005, 10:40 PM
In two years, purple will be offensive. Then they'll move to Yellow, the color of happy sunshine.

You can't escape a "term" or "noun" or "object" being offensive to people. We can't say Mexican, or someone will get offended (usually white americans!!). Hispanic is the right word. But when did Mexican start being offensive? Is it because some people don't want to be reminded of their home country? Nope. Most Hispanics are actually fine with the adjective Mexican. To say that word is bad, means there's something wrong with Mexico.

When I am visiting a foreign country, I have NEVER been offended at the term American.

It's not the color of red that's bad, it's the lazy kid who didn't study (just like me) that doesn't want any incorrect answers on his test. Pretty soon, a teacher is going to get sued because some students saw the "purple" marker on a certain student's assignment, and that's an invasion of privacy.

derstuka
09-03-2005, 02:11 PM
I guess I am politically incorrect, because I call people from Mexico, Mexicans, people from Canada, Canadians, and flight attendants, stewards or stewardesses. Like Sombeech mentioned, people sooner find every term offensive. Soon it won't be politically correct to call a person who commits a crime a criminal. They will be a "disadvantaged person" or some other crazy thing. Just as was also stated by Sombeech, I would never be offended by someone calling me an American in another country. I guess if I was like all these sensitive people, being calling white would be offensive to me, and I should be called "of european descent."

These people today who are making all these politically correct statements would never survive back in the old days, or in a country with a not so democratic government system. People would think they were crazy, such as I do.

Honestly, I try not to think of all this so much, because, in reality, it truly makes me sick.