PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices De-railing Weekend Travels?

Superriffic S*
08-31-2005, 12:48 PM
The Whitehouse just announced that not only gas prices will continue to rise, but also the price of food is now on the incline. :eek2:

I think I am stayin' home this weekend...

Gas should be up to $4.00 for premium by Friday (so THEY say).

Iceaxe
08-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Just got back from the gas station....

Shan
08-31-2005, 01:12 PM
Good question!

Gas prices don't really deter me from road trips. I think they need to be this high because it will *hopefully* start making people think about alternate transportation (car pool, bus, bike, ect). Or maybe that's me dreaming....

I bike commute all year long and so does my husband, and I only drive when I need to get groceries, go somewhere far or get a bunch of stuff from Lowe's like lumber, etc. But luckily everything in Logan is bikeable/walkable, even if the majority doesn't think so.

accadacca
08-31-2005, 03:41 PM
:lol8: Just another place to show my tree hugger ride..........

05 Toyota Prius at Zion ahhh what a beauty (51mpg highway, 60mpg city:
http://uutah.com/forum/files/p6170011.jpg

Iceaxe
08-31-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm really happy all you tree huggers are saving gas..... just more for me to burn!

With nearly 400 HP who cares how much it costs.... I can smoke the tires from here until Sunday :roflol:

Yeah... its got a HEMI!!!!

Iceaxe
08-31-2005, 04:19 PM
My other ride is a streamliner.........

Superriffic S*
08-31-2005, 04:27 PM
I have been hearing a lot about these "hybrid" cars and did a little research... found this article on MSNBC... maybe they aren't all they're cracked up to be afterall.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8975473/

I also was listening to the Savage Nation yesterday and (I wish I could find the documentation to back this up, but alas, I can't find it... yet) he said that he read a study about hybrid cars. If everyone in the nation went out and bought a hybrid car it would only save in conserving gas for ONE (1) year. After that we would be right where we are now.

What about hydrogen cars? OR... why aren't we teleporting... What, we can send a man to the moon but we can't find a more efficient way to get from here to there?

Sombeech
08-31-2005, 04:34 PM
One thing that article might not have mentioned is the tax write off you get for owning one.

When we go on road trips, the Hybrid is definitely the vehicle of choice among the passengers when they have to chip in for gas.

Superriffic S*
08-31-2005, 04:47 PM
One thing that article might not have mentioned is the tax write off you get for owning one.

When we go on road trips, the Hybrid is definitely the vehicle of choice among the passengers when they have to chip in for gas.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/apr/29/gas_costs_steer/

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/04/20/MNGA4CBJH81.DTL

Here are a couple more articles that make me think they might not be that cost effective either. The second one actually hurts me and I don't even own a hybrid.

derstuka
08-31-2005, 09:38 PM
The main point is, if we all bought more fuel efficient vehicles, whether they be hybrids or not, it will help us all out buy helping conserve the ever dwindling crude oil supply. It has been estimated that we will reach our peak of crude oil production in the next 10-15 years, and after that, it will keep going up and up in cost per barrel, even more so than now. Fossil fuels take millions of years to form, and we are using them up in about 170 years at the current rate. China and other developing countries are industrializing at an astonishing rate, and they have an amazing (growing) thrist for fossil fuel

The one article is talking about it being cost effective to buy a hybrid for a city (or person), and currently until hybrids are produced in greater numbers that might be so, but, more importantly, it IS more fuel efficient to own one, AND it is better for the enviroment, and the consumer economy by burning less gas. Just as it is not cheap to eat healthy whole grain foods (I know by experience), it is healthier to do so, and I choose to spend the money to benefit my body, just as if someone chooses to own a more fuel efficient vehicle. No matter if someone doesn't mind paying the high price for gas, the more gas that people burn by driving gas guzzlers (I'm taking on a daily basis, not weekend jeeping) hurts us all in the long run. It doesn't matter if they are rich or not. It increases our demand for fossil fuels from foreign sources, and emits more pollution into the air. Hyrids are the only current solutions until the hydrogen economy (fuel cells) become more practical, realistic, and safe.

Ways to help...joining car pools, riding your bike to work, buying a fuel efficient car, driving less, driving slower, and so on. At least if one or two things are followed by most, we would be in a better place.

:blahblah:

Glockguy
08-31-2005, 10:10 PM
I also was listening to the Savage Nation yesterday and (I wish I could find the documentation to back this up, but alas, I can't find it... yet) he said that he read a study about hybrid cars. If everyone in the nation went out and bought a hybrid car it would only save in conserving gas for ONE (1) year. After that we would be right where we are now.

570 KNRS took him off their radio line up this week. :sad: Now I have to listen to him on the web. I wish they would get a Podcast up and running...I love Savage.

DickHead
09-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Okay, I don't care who you are.....
http://uutah.com/forum/files/saltflats10.jpg

That's just f***ing cool!

(I'll probably get in trouble, but I had to say it....it needs the emphasis)

:2thumbs:

The problem with gas isn't supply, its the ability to refine it. Its not profitiable enough to build more refineries, so the ones we have refine as much gas as possible. That doesn't quite keep up with the demand we're placing on it. The fact is, most SUV's and Trucks get better gas mileage than the cars of the 70's and 80's. Between that, and India and China, the oil producers can't keep up with demand. Plus, its awfully profitiable, why dig into your profits by pumping more and making it cheaper.....

By the way, if we want to talk about gas guzzlers, I'm in on a once in a lifetime chance at work to ride along in an F16. Hill is giving us one slot amongst about 80 people, so we're going to draw a name from a hat. I should find out today or tomorrow.

derstuka
09-01-2005, 09:50 AM
The problem with gas isn't supply, its the ability to refine it. Its not profitiable enough to build more refineries, so the ones we have refine as much gas as possible. That doesn't quite keep up with the demand we're placing on it. The fact is, most SUV's and Trucks get better gas mileage than the cars of the 70's and 80's. Between that, and India and China, the oil producers can't keep up with demand. Plus, its awfully profitiable, why dig into your profits by pumping more and making it cheaper.....

By the way, if we want to talk about gas guzzlers, I'm in on a once in a lifetime chance at work to ride along in an F16. Hill is giving us one slot amongst about 80 people, so we're going to draw a name from a hat. I should find out today or tomorrow.

True, refinery capacity does effect prices, but that is not my point, and not the part of the BIG picture. Fact is, there is a limited supply of fossil fuels on this planet, we do not control the majority of it, and we need to use it more sparingly in order to make it last, while we invent new ways to replace/supplement it. We could build 20 more refineries to refine as much crude as we can import, but, in the long run, we are still gonna run out prematurely if we do not so something about it. People just need to think of these words over and over in their head: fuel conservation--fuel conservation--fuel conservation--fuel conservation. We Americans as a whole consume many times more fuel than persons of other developed countries. Does a person really need a lifted F350 Super-Duty as their "daily driver" to commute 35 miles to work each day getting 7 miles to the gallon? If ones answer is yes, then that person should never complain about any fuel prices, food prices (after all, semi-trucks haul the majority of goods to stores), clothing prices, housing prices, car prices, and so on...and maybe ones who do drive gas guzzlers should need to put money into a fund to distribute to others who are directly affected by the increases in costs of goods/services associated with using excessive fuel/energy.

Shan
09-01-2005, 10:05 AM
I agree dertsuka.

There was a great National Geographic article on "The End of Cheap Oil." It said we do have a limited supply and it will peak in our lifetimes.

derstuka
09-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I agree dertsuka.

There was a great National Geographic article on "The End of Cheap Oil." It said we do have a limited supply and it will end in our lifetimes.

Glad you agree, I wish more point would see the light. :ne_nau:

There are two guys at my work who drive large lifted trucks about 30 miles each way to work and back as their daily drivers. I have seen one of them on the freeway many times, and he is ALWAYS in the fast lane doing 85MPH whenever he can. I swear he must get 7-9 miles to the gallon. Well, almost everyday for the past few weeks they have been b*tchin' and complaining about the price of gas, and how the Middle East is screwin' us over. Little do they know, that although the Middle East is a large factor, people whole are ignorant of the whole situation (like them) are a large factor as well, to making "big oil" in Texas, and the Sheiks in Saudia even richer, by increasing demand, and reliance on foreign oil.

I honestly think that seeing five, six, seven, or eight + dollars a gallon is the only way that some people will realize what is going on. Sad it has to be that way.

BTW, I read some of the article that you stated. It was pretty well written. Popular Science had a good article on it about a year ago.

DickHead
09-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Well, the supply still left in the ground is debatable. The undeniable facts are that India and China are using up the global supply so fast that there is no way to control the prices right now. Any impact on supply causes an immediate ripple through the economy. Of course, the oil companies will always get thiers.
BTW, the only reason gas is so expensive in Europe is taxes. In some countries, its over 100% of the value of the fuel.

Superriffic S*
09-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Here is my thought...

I think we should deplete all the crude oil resources... by then they will be forced to find a better more efficient means to propel automobiles. If I could help deplete them faster I would. Like, if there was a way to say, drive an airplane down the highway, I would totally fill that sucker every day and cruise down the highway at 80mph just to FORCE the manufacturers to find a better way.

Hell, why can't they find a way to make a car run off salt water...? New Orleans wouldn't be in near the pickle that they are now if we were using salt water instead of gasoline to run cars. (I know that it wouldn't have held the levee's any longer if we were using salt water instead of gasoline) Hey, wasn't there an x-files episode about that? The Truth Is Out There... :mrgreen:

derstuka
09-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Well, the supply still left in the ground is debatable. The undeniable facts are that India and China are using up the global supply so fast that there is no way to control the prices right now. Any impact on supply causes an immediate ripple through the economy. Of course, the oil companies will always get thiers.
BTW, the only reason gas is so expensive in Europe is taxes. In some countries, its over 100% of the value of the fuel.

Yes, I agree, it is debateable how much crude is left in the earth's crust, but, don't you agree that oil has its limits? Just as every other natural resource does. That there is only so much oil that the earth will provide. I am mostly just tired of relying on other countries to give us the fuel that we need, and whatever price they deem necessary, but on the other hand, we, as many others, are extremely wasteful with what we have. The taxes in Europe on fuels may seem unfair to many, but they do provide incentive to own gas misers, as well as promoting public transit.

As I mentioned before, developing countries (such as China & India) have an insatiable thrist. As more and more countries develop, and grow larger, demanding more fuel, it is only going to get worse, and worse in the long run.

Regardless if we drive cars which are more fuel efficient than those in the past, we need send the message to the automakers that we want them to get even better, and put more pressure to find other alternative fuels. Sure they are trying, but not like they should be, because there isn't as much demand to do so. As long as people keep buying large SUV, trucks and cars, they will keep doing as they have been doing, well, with the exception of Toyota and Honday maybe.

Sombeech
09-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Whether or not we are running out of oil, if it happens, we will see it coming.

We do have automobiles today that run on different energy sources. If oil gets depleted, will it really be that big of deal? We will NEVER go back to horse and carriage. We've got electricity, solar, hydrogen, propane, natural gas, COOKING OIL, and who knows what else technology to run a vehicle. These models are in operation today!!

Why are we afraid of running out of oil? I'm not. But if we ever do, we are going to get PLENTY of notice before it happens. Gas pumps won't just go dry one day. People get PAID to know how much oil there is.

I would wager a large amount of money on this theory:
If we get close to running out of oil, mankind will stop buying gasoline cars, and start buying one of the other energy propelled cars. This won't happen at once, but just as slowly as we all buy new vehicles.

Then, gasoline vehicles will almost be obsolete, and the small amount of oil left might never run out.

derstuka
09-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Whether or not we are running out of oil, if it happens, we will see it coming.

We do have automobiles today that run on different energy sources. If oil gets depleted, will it really be that big of deal? We will NEVER go back to horse and carriage. We've got electricity, solar, hydrogen, propane, natural gas, COOKING OIL, and who knows what else technology to run a vehicle. These models are in operation today!!

Why are we afraid of running out of oil? I'm not. But if we ever do, we are going to get PLENTY of notice before it happens. Gas pumps won't just go dry one day. People get PAID to know how much oil there is.

I would wager a large amount of money on this theory:
If we get close to running out of oil, mankind will stop buying gasoline cars, and start buying one of the other energy propelled cars. This won't happen at once, but just as slowly as we all buy new vehicles.

Then, gasoline vehicles will almost be obsolete, and the small amount of oil left might never run out.

I myself am not afraid of running out of gas, I just want us to reduce our reliance on foreign fuels, which makes our economy so much more susceptible to international conflicts/problems.

The current "alternative" fuel vehicles are such a small percentage of the driving public currently, and of those vehicles you mentioned: electric cars primarily get power from fossil fuel electric plants, and nuclear plants (VERY few by green energy); solar is nice, but not feasible yet; and hydrogen is still unfeasible until the storage problem, and reforming problem is addressed, it will take more power to get the energy out of hydrogen, than its output,after all hyrdogen atoms are attached to other atoms, and have to be separated, but hydrogen is getting closer, but not there yet; propane and natural gas are fossil fuels which will eventually run out; cooking oils (bio-diesels) are a good idea, especially to burn up waste if it can be eco-clean somewhat. The thing is, the U.S. has been running out of crude oil since the 80's, when our imports starting exceeding our outputs. If people realized this, they would have started demanding/making/buying alternative fuel cars long ago. Sh*t, at least back to the Iran oil embargo.

My question is, why isn't the vast majority of us ameri cans already buying alternative fuel (or fuel efficient) vehicles? Since many complain about OPEC (or BIG oil), and have for 30 years or more, why not screw the pooch and throw them out of the equation by providing for our own economy??? Since I don't see any people around me driving less, driving slower, or buying gas misers, I don't know how much faith I have in a smooth transition of gas-autos to alternative fuel autos. Many people will fight it to the end, and be proud that they are still driving their 8 mile-to-the-gallon guzzler, and not giving a rat's ass about anybody but themselves, helping to escalate the depletion of fossil fuels for all. Oh, and developing countries are a looooong way off from ever using anything non-fossil fuel related. They can't afford to.

Man, I think this is enough preaching for a day. Talk about a gabber! :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

rockgremlin
09-01-2005, 03:33 PM
There was a great National Geographic article on "The End of Cheap Oil." It said we do have a limited supply and it will end in our lifetimes.

I seriously doubt this. My grandparents made the same claim back in the day. Two generations later, and there's still plenty to go around. Remember the infamous oil crisis of the 70's? The claim was that we were running out of oil so fast that the world's supply would be gone by the 90's. They were all bulls**t claims, and they weren't made on sound scientific conclusions.

I'm not saying that oil will NEVER be depleted, just not in our lifetimes.

Don't believe the hype the media tries to sell you.

rockgremlin
09-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Oh, and developing countries are a looooong way off from ever using anything non-fossil fuel related. They can't afford to.

Yes, unfortunately very true. But remember, the mighty U.S. of A. started out this way too. Now that we are as advanced as we are, we SHOULD be setting the example, by being more responsible in our energy usage. Alternative energy sources should be the rule not the exception in America - we have the capability, we should act on it.

Shan
09-01-2005, 03:59 PM
http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0406/feature5/fulltext.html

Here's the article I read, I think NG is a pretty reliable source.

I will correct myself, it said the OIL PEAK will be in our lifetime. I thought it said the end, but it's been a while since I read before today.

[quote]Humanity's way of life is on a collision course with geology

Sombeech
09-01-2005, 04:00 PM
My question is, why isn't the vast majority of us ameri cans already buying alternative fuel (or fuel efficient) vehicles?

There's a lot of people asking this. I believe the answer is, we don't want to yet.

We know we can make the alternate fuel cars, but why change now? The car companies would jump on the chance to manufacture them, but the demand isn't there yet.

Let's say we found out there's only 10 years supply of oil left for earth. (and this information would be easy to get) We'd have no problem coming out with the alternate energy source automobiles in time.

The gas prices are huge right now. Some say this helps the economy because we are spending more, some say it hurts because we travel less. Either way, it's not because of the scarcity of the supply. It's because of the low production rate compared to demand. This only solidifies the careers of oil related businesses, and this is big money.

I'm not sure the government is motivated to get out of this industry just yet, especially since we still have a very big supply left.

Shan
09-01-2005, 04:05 PM
If anyone lives near these gas stations:

Tesaro
1350 East 700 South
Clearfield, UT 84105

Chevron
267 West 12300 South
Draper, UT 84020

Christensen Oil Company
595 S. 200 East
Provo, UT 84606

AND drives one of these models (http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php), you can purchase ethanol for way cheaper than gasoline because your car is a flex fuel vehicle.

Sombeech
09-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Ethanol, huh? Interesting.

I've got a '99 Ford Taurus. I'm gonna check it out.

And then I remember good ol' WHEAT. The stuff they make Top Fuel out of. Just one more "home grown" fuel alternative, that is already in mass production, used every day, and every week at the drag strips.

rockgremlin
09-01-2005, 04:17 PM
[quote=Shan]
[quote]Humanity's way of life is on a collision course with geology

Sombeech
09-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Once the technology to extract that oil becomes more efficient Utah will be making BIG $$$.

Buy land now :deal:

Udink
09-01-2005, 04:24 PM
I think I am stayin' home this weekend...
I had plans for the weekend, but I've since cancelled them. I think I'm just going to park my big 7.3L diesel until prices come back down. Unless they don't come down anytime soon, in which case I'll have to limit my camping trips to one or two a month, and keep it close to home. Good thing the weather will be cooling off soon so I can head into the Swell--it's only an hour drive from here to some great camping there.

derstuka
09-01-2005, 09:13 PM
My question is, why isn't the vast majority of us ameri cans already buying alternative fuel (or fuel efficient) vehicles?

There's a lot of people asking this. I believe the answer is, we don't want to yet.

We know we can make the alternate fuel cars, but why change now? The car companies would jump on the chance to manufacture them, but the demand isn't there yet.

Let's say we found out there's only 10 years supply of oil left for earth. (and this information would be easy to get) We'd have no problem coming out with the alternate energy source automobiles in time.

The gas prices are huge right now. Some say this helps the economy because we are spending more, some say it hurts because we travel less. Either way, it's not because of the scarcity of the supply. It's because of the low production rate compared to demand. This only solidifies the careers of oil related businesses, and this is big money.

I'm not sure the government is motivated to get out of this industry just yet, especially since we still have a very big supply left.

Sombeech:

There are so many people who believe that we can do as we choose, use as much energy as wastefully as we see fit, and not suffer any consequences because we are america, the "superpower" and we can do whatever we want. Statements such as you mention of people are backing up exactly the mentality that is all too common here in the grand ole USA. A mentality that americans can do as they please, regardless of the environment, or effects on world resources. People need to be educated on an issue such as this, because ignorance is not an excuse--IMO.

Rockgremlin:

Think of it this way. The world has over 6 billion people, thousands more are born each day; people are living longer and longer, countries are demanding more fuel/energy---regardless of new oil findings, there is only a limited amount of a fuel which has taken millions of years to form; however, say we somehow find a limitless supply of fossil fuels....does that mean that we should keep pumping coal/gas/diesel, and other chemicals into our atmosphere till the end of time, or should we, the "supposedly" greatest country on this earth, lead by example and show other countries it can be done, and they should do it?

How much pollution are you willing to inhale, or your family to inhale? How much is nature (in this case, Utah) worth compared to business? What would you think if George Bush and his BIG OIL buddies came down to Utah, and took over huge portions of it to produce fuels? Destroying the land you ride/hunt/play on, causing pollution, and in general making a mess. Ever seen pictures of Texas after SpindleTop blew? True, derricks, that size/form are rare today, but it was a sight to behold, and frightful. As you may assume, I am a big supporter of making use of as much green energy as possible, which is benefical to us, yet "less" harmful to the environment. Sure, some green energy sources do have an impact, but not as much so.

Don't think that I don't condone you driving a car, or motorcycle, or boat, I am just saying that as a country our mentality (like sombeech's example of people not ready) does need to change--IMO. If we consumers demand it, change can/will happen.

Black Mage
09-02-2005, 07:28 AM
I've finally started taking the bus to school now. It's actually pretty convenient because the 640 runs right past my house, so it's only a one minute walk to the stop, plus it goes straight up to Weber State. So it works well for me. This way I can use my car for doing the fun stuff.

rockgremlin
09-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Rockgremlin:

...say we somehow find a limitless supply of fossil fuels....does that mean that we should keep pumping coal/gas/diesel, and other chemicals into our atmosphere till the end of time, or should we, the "supposedly" greatest country on this earth, lead by example and show other countries it can be done, and they should do it?

How much pollution...blah blah blah

Don't think that I don't condone you driving a car, or motorcycle, or boat, I am just saying that as a country our mentality (like sombeech's example of people not ready) does need to change--IMO. If we consumers demand it, change can/will happen.

Have you been reading my posts/responses? Allow me to repost:

"Now that we are as advanced as we are, we SHOULD be setting the example, by being more responsible in our energy usage. Alternative energy sources should be the rule not the exception in America - we have the capability, we should act on it."

I think we agree on the same things. My take is that it is gonna take awhile for this earth to wean itself from fossil fuel usage - but in the mean time we should have sufficient to meet our needs. Now, just because we have sufficient doesn't mean we should be wasteful either.

Shan
09-02-2005, 09:43 AM
I think most of us are on the same "side," we're just debating different things on this side.

Superriffic S*
09-02-2005, 09:49 AM
I just heard on the radio that they are having to divert diesel rigs that have gasoline in them to the South and now there are gas stations here in Utah that are low or out of gas making the prices sky rocket! The gas stations are turning people away because they don't have enough gas in the pumps.

My husband said that one of the 7-11's downtown had the premium grade marked at $3.10 per gallon this morning... (ouch!) They were saying on talk radio yesterday that they are expecting gas to be up to $3.65 by Monday.

Of course it doesn't help that it's a holiday weekend either.

derstuka
09-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Rockgremlin:

...say we somehow find a limitless supply of fossil fuels....does that mean that we should keep pumping coal/gas/diesel, and other chemicals into our atmosphere till the end of time, or should we, the "supposedly" greatest country on this earth, lead by example and show other countries it can be done, and they should do it?

How much pollution...blah blah blah

Have you been reading my posts/responses? Allow me to repost:

"Now that we are as advanced as we are, we SHOULD be setting the example, by being more responsible in our energy usage. Alternative energy sources should be the rule not the exception in America - we have the capability, we should act on it."

I think we agree on the same things. My take is that it is gonna take awhile for this earth to wean itself from fossil fuel usage - but in the mean time we should have sufficient to meet our needs. Now, just because we have sufficient doesn't mean we should be wasteful either.

I think you are right, we do agree on some the same things. I do know it will take people a long while to wean themselves off of fossil fuels. I was mostly just responding to your comment about big $$$ oil in Utah, and asking you about the consequences of losing your land for it, as well as further exploration for it, exploiting nature in the process.

I'm full of p*ss and wind lately, and I am all out of both today. This issue is closed for me as I don't have the urge to go on. You can :assault: me now, after all, it is Friday!

Like I told on Utahmtnbiking (Sombeech liked this):

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded."

:afro: Peace, and time for a :pitcher:

rockgremlin
09-02-2005, 12:37 PM
"Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded."

:haha: :haha: Careful with that quote. I used that quote over on the YahooCanyon forum (which has close to 2000 members), and was SERIOUSLY berated. People came out of the woodwork to spit poison at me. :roll: People just need to chill out. Get laid or something.

:afro: Peace, and time for a :pitcher:

Cheers!! :cheers:

derstuka
09-02-2005, 01:45 PM

:haha: :haha: Careful with that quote. I used that quote over on the YahooCanyon forum (which has close to 2000 members), and was SERIOUSLY berated. People came out of the woodwork to spit poison at me. :roll: People just need to chill out. Get laid or something.

[/quote]

Yeah, you're right, I need to be censored sometimes!

Iceaxe
09-02-2005, 02:16 PM
The problem is Utah oil is locked up in oil sh ales, and the process to extract the oil from those sh ales is currently not economical...yet. Once the technology to extract that oil becomes more efficient Utah will be making BIG $$$.

Something I know a little bit about.... approximately 10 years ago I designed the prototype plant that extracts oil of shale.... guess what... the process works great!!!

At the time it was cheaper to import oil then extract from shale, but that time is about to end. I expect oil from shale to be BIG in the very near future.

On a side note Canada is already extract a large amount of oil from their oil sand, which is similar to our shale but different. The thing is the Canadian government stepped up to the plate 10 years ago to develop the technology. Our government just kept importing.

Superriffic S*
09-02-2005, 02:29 PM
This is for all y'all that love to gloat about your hybrid cars...

http://toccionline.kizash.com/films/1001/178/

ENJOY!!! :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
09-02-2005, 03:15 PM
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: Hybrid car = queer :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Black Mage
09-02-2005, 07:10 PM
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: Hybrid car = queer :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

:2thumbs: Hybrid car = substantially lower gas expenses :2thumbs:

accadacca
09-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Yeah laugh all you want. I keep laughing too. :roflol:

But it only happens every 3 1/2 weeks or so when I go to the pump. :lol8: You know I am NOT a greenie. But I do care about the environment, it is all we have. I was simply in the market for a mid sized car and I only buy Toyota's. I could have had the Camry for the same price. I looked at the mpg city 24/34 highway. Then I looked at the Prius, city 60/51 highway.

Then I started reading about the technology and all the awards that it had won. The size of the car was really similar. The Prius did have it beat in head room tho (important to me). I also liked the Prius for the hatchback. I could load my bike and some gear for camping if needed (stack it to the roof). Really a versatile car.... The Camry is just a sedan so yeah the back is a trunk. The Prius was a better car for us. Looking at the gas numbers, the make up of the car and a $2000 tax deduction. You really don't have to be a brain surgeon to see why I bought it.

I drove it to the swell loaded with camping gear, three people, going 80 mph and on some dirt roads. We drove about 530 miles and it cost under $30 (12 ga tank=44mpg). My truck would have got 18 mpg and cost around $80. I really don't have to remind myself why I bought the car. People EVERYWHERE remind me when they ask, "What kind of gas mileage are you getting?" or "So how much do you save a month driving that?" Its all GRAVY man........call me what you will. I luv it and laugh all the way to the bank. :blbl:

Black Mage
09-03-2005, 06:27 AM
I was watching something on CNN a few days ago about this guy who installed a lithium ion battery system in his hybrid. Every night he plugs it into a wall socket and the batteries hold enough charge to drive about 40 miles without ever turning the gas engine on, and 40 miles in more then enough for most people's daily commute. He was saying that he only neeeds to fill his gas tank every 1000 to 1500 miles.

God, I{ wish I had the money to buy a hybrid!

DickHead
09-03-2005, 06:49 AM
But what's his electric bill? Is he trading one problem for another?

Lehi
09-04-2005, 02:17 PM
If food prices go up, all I need is my shotgun and a few boxes of shells and ill go grouse hunting. :naughty: :defend:

Shan
09-04-2005, 02:45 PM
What is funny or queer about a hybrid car???