PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report More canoe trip photos

Shan
08-31-2005, 09:08 AM
This one is from the Green River Lakes area in the Wind Rivers this weekend. This is one of my favorite canoe trips, better than the Tetons one.

We camped at the end of the second lake. My friend and I hiked while the boys fished and shot guns. It was perfect weather.

BTW, is Google Earth the coolest thing or what?!?! I actually make 3D terrain maps like this at work but for rivers we model.

Sorry I got carried away with the pics!

Sombeech
08-31-2005, 09:22 AM
That is one of the coolest river colors I've ever seen. There's that gorgeous square top mountain again, that thing is cool. I wish we were going there this time.

Great job on the pics.

Shan
08-31-2005, 09:39 AM
uh, did someone move me to backpacking? or did I do that?

Sombeech
08-31-2005, 12:03 PM
uh, did someone move me to backpacking? or did I do that?

Yeah, it was in general discussion, and I thought it would fit better in backpacking.

I know it's not backpacking, but I was caught between "Kayaking" and "backpacking" since there's no canoe section.

After second thought, this might go better in the kayaking section. :wallbash: Maybe we'll put it there, and leave the shadow topic here.

Sorry for the mess.

Sombeech
10-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Ok, resurrecting this one also...

After getting back from our backpacking trip to the Wind Rivers, I've got to break out the map and see how far away we were from the Green River Lakes.

You say you liked this one better than the Tetons trip? How so? :ne_nau: Just curious.

I did a canoeing trip once as a Boy Scout around Yellowstone Lake. That was pretty fun. But I would love to go to the Green River Lakes to see that gorgeous water, and Square Top Mtn.

Shan
10-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Chris said he likes the Tetons better because it was "new" to him. I like the Green River Lakes better.

#1 not many people know about the Green River Lakes. The national park is going to be more crowded on any given day. It's more managed, and for a good reason. You can hear other campers on Leigh Lake if they are shouting (I think 6 backcountry sites in all). Not many campsites on GRLs, so you kind of have it all to yourself.

#2 more hiking options (or it seems) at Green River Lakes. Slide Lake, a natural arch, Square Top, etc.

#3 cool looking water; paddling in downstream in the river is super fun on the way out.

#4 you feel more remote at GRL. No fees, permits. It just feels more wild to me, less touched.

I'll add more when I think of them.

Alex
06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Shan, that looks awesome, where did you guys put in and take out? How do you get there?