PDA

View Full Version : Death Cave

rockgremlin
08-29-2005, 06:21 PM
And lets not forget about this one.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=95691&nid=157

I don't think they should have closed off the cave. If someone dies on a hike, do they close down access to that hike? If someone dies in a traffic accident, do they close the road forever? etc, etc

It's just natural selection. Let the idiots kill themselves off if they wanna. The cave was not very well known, and it was knicknamed "Death Cave" by the locals -- would YOU go in there? :roll:

Good thing city counsel members restrict my access to all of the dangerous and hazardous places in the world.

Wasatch Rebel
08-29-2005, 07:10 PM
And lets not forget about this one.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=95691&nid=157

I don't think they should have closed off the cave. If someone dies on a hike, do they close down access to that hike? If someone dies in a traffic accident, do they close the road forever? etc, etc

It's just natural selection. Let the idiots kill themselves off if they wanna. The cave was not very well known, and it was knicknamed "Death Cave" by the locals -- would YOU go in there? :roll:

Good thing city counsel members restrict my access to all of the dangerous and hazardous places in the world.

I'm pretty much with you on that. A place like that--well, experienced cavers with wetsuits shouldn't be banned from it just because some people make stupid mistakes. Of course, I used to go into abandoned mines from time to time--even crawled into some kind of labyrinth at Mercur before they began re-mining that area years ago. They can be dangerous places, and it's hard on the parents of those kids who make foolish mistakes. But like anything else, protecting us from ourselves restricts our freedom. All that being said, I could've easily been a candidate for a Darwin Award a time or two.

Shane

rockgremlin
08-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Abandoned mines huh? Ya, I've had my share of those. In high school a buddy and I would travel out to the abandoned mines in Mammoth (just south of Eureka), we got about a mile into this one big one. Found some really cool stuff - an old 6 foot tall ore bucket, newspaper clippings from 1913, rusted tobacco cans. Amazing finds.

Those mines all are in pretty competent rock (no threat of cave-in), and are reasonably well ventilated (no threat of suffocation or gas emissions). Usually you can get away with exploring old mines as long as you are cautious about where you step, and it's reasonably ventilated (i.e. there's a constant flow of air within the mine).

There's your mining engineering lesson for the day... :haha: