PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report TR -- Rick's Canyon - Steel Hollow Loop

accadacca
08-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Ok so I go to Bear Lake all the time. I have been on about every dirt road in a 100 mile radius of the place. That is on my motorcycle.........
So I decided to try a Mt. Bike trail in Logan canyon. It was between this and the Jardine Juniper Trail. My first mistake was going during the middle of the day. Hotter than hell and not much relief from shade trees. The trail is pretty exposed on the climb up ricks canyon. This is a 12 mile ride with about half of the ride climbing and some of it on your feet pushing. :wallbash:

I came to the conclusion that I am really spoiled when it comes to riding in SLC and elsewhere. This was a cow trail and really overgrown and torn up by horses. The stuff hanging over the trail really sucked too. Some of it was the fuzzy itchy stuff. The decent down the steel hollow trail was a pretty decent piece of downhill single track. Of course anything was welcome after all the uphill I had to endure. Then the four miles of dirt road was not my cup of tea. At least some was downhill! Anyhow enjoy the pictures.........

Trail info (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/ricks.htm)

Shan
08-29-2005, 11:37 AM
This trail really gets overgrown in late summer, and stinging nettle, well it STINGS!

The cows are let out late summer and they muck up the place too. We had a lot of snow melt ruin sections on nearly all our trails this season.

Sorry it wasn't ideal! But your photos are great. You know that hill at the top of Rick's? My husband can clear that (as well as the entire trail). I think "crazy scalded cat" was the last description someone gave him!

Hmm, maybe I need to ride some SLC trails because we think this one is typically a good ride!

accadacca
08-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Ya know I think the heavy traffic on the SL trails really helps them. It packs them down........but again we don't have cows and horses around on most of them either. We are city people.......... :lol8: Yeah I should have took this quote, "This loop is for strong, well-conditioned riders" from the trail description more literally. :haha: I think the BEATING sun made a huge difference tho. I needed a machete on some of the thick overgrowth too. But that is the case on many trails with the wet year we have had. In SL it is more knocked down from the traffic. Yeah "crazy scalded cat" works or crazy SOB.. :lol8:

Shan
08-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Really, no cows are let loose on your trails? Lucky you! I bet the heavy use does pack down the trails. I didn't think of that. Jardine's lower end is pretty washed out, but really nice above the springs. Bunchgrass is really beat up last I heard, from cows.

It definitely helps when you're not biking in the sun. Almost a black and white difference. Same with Jardine (if you plan on riding this one).